Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 02:06 AM

716 posts, read 1,238,526 times

Advertisements

I keep seeing New Mexico in the top 3 on lists of the most dangerous states in America but when I check the crime stats for all the cities it seems like there's less violent crime than most other places. So where does all the violent crime take place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 02:38 AM

238 posts, read 635,034 times
Default Where's the Crime? Try New Mexico!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post

I keep seeing New Mexico in the top 3 on lists of the most dangerous states in America but when I check the crime stats for all the cities it seems like there's less violent crime than most other places. So where does all the violent crime take place?

Well, I just had an incident tonight right in front of my home. A car that was parked the wrong way and seemed out of place was right outside my house. It didn't seem right, so I investigated. Sure enough, a few knuckleheads were out there stealing gas from everyone on the street.

This state and city are full of crimes like this. And my 'hood is (was) as safe as can be. It infuriates me that some on this board insist there is no crime and that it cannot happen to them. Sure, it's not as bad as other cities, but as pointed out in another thread, NM is a pretty dangerous state, and Burque is a pretty crime-ridden place.

As for violent crime, it happens all over the city. Check out a crime map of Albuquerque to see what I mean.

--BtK

Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,370,475 times
Albuquerque Crime Map - Showing Crime in Albuquerque, NM - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here

Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 AM

1,663 posts, read 3,701,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLA17 View Post
Outside of the cities, I guess.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:18 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,809,336 times
Last December (December 08 actually) my car was broken into twice, within a span of three weeks, in my own driveway. As I've said, I don't live in what one would consider a bad neighborhood. On a third occasion, probably the same two thugs were in my backyard, and didn't realize my mother in law was in the house. They ran away, but the entire situation unnerved us to the point where we bought a home security system.

Here is a crime map of incidents in the last 30 days in Las Cruces:
" + theTitle + "

This only contains property crime, which is classified separately from violent crime. It's everywhere. I was just back in New Jersey, for the first time in almost a year and a half, over the holidays, and for all its faults, I have to say, what you get in these areas, if nothing else, is relative safety. Property crime is next to zero in almost all suburban neighborhoods, violent crime is about zero. People don't lock their car doors in their driveways, some don't even lock their doors. A completely different world.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:58 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Property crime is next to zero in almost all suburban neighborhoods, violent crime is about zero. People don't lock their car doors in their driveways, some don't even lock their doors. A completely different world.
I live in a similar community located up in Orange County, NY. Till this day, I still lock my car door's and windows. It's a mindset that I doubt I will ever shake regardless of where I live. The only truly bad habit I developed since living up in the stix is when I stop off @ the local quiki mart, I always leave me car running.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,783,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelazyone View Post
when I stop off @ the local quiki mart, I always leave me car running.
We just had about 6 arrests yesterday from a theft ring which steals car's with the engine running... They primarily search for cars in front of houses which are running to warm up. They have smashed windows to get into cars which are locked...

Rich

Old 01-21-2010, 10:01 AM

995 posts, read 2,728,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
We just had about 6 arrests yesterday from a theft ring which steals car's with the engine running... They primarily search for cars in front of houses which are running to warm up. They have smashed windows to get into cars which are locked...

Rich
That can easily happen anywhere to be honest. It's just a bad habit I picked up from some of the locals in my village.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:19 AM

823 posts, read 3,689,764 times
So after reading this and other similar threads should I change my mind about moving to ABQ and look for a safer place? Safety is an important issue to me (I wouldn't want to shoot an innocent person by mistake).

Old 01-21-2010, 10:27 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,751,417 times
Norm, Norm, Norm......

You're looking through the wrong end of the telescope...

If they are all guilty, then there is no reason to worry about hitting innocent bystanders...

Kmart sells ammo at a good discount..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico