Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 03:28 PM

50 posts, read 148,656 times

Advertisements

Last night around 1030pm my husband and I were out and on the way home ran to Walmart for a couple of things. Among those things was a 12-pack of beer.

When we got to the register, I handed over my ID to cashier as my husband was putting things into the cart. The cashier looked at my ID then demanded to see my husband's ID as well. He had left his wallet at home.

When we told her this, she copped an attittude, and refused to sell me the beer even though I had vaild ID and was the one paying for it. She told me it was New Mexico state law. I have been in this state since July, have purchased beer many times with my husband present, and never has there been a request for both of us to produce ID's until last night.

Has anyone else experienced this? I used google to try to find information regarding this law and was unable to.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 05:28 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,030,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suebrown67 View Post
The cashier looked at my ID then demanded to see my husband's ID as well. He had left his wallet at home.

When we told her this, she copped an attittude, and refused to sell me the beer even though I had vaild ID and was the one paying for it. She told me it was New Mexico state law.
Unless New Mexico has a law that states either:
  1. Only men can buy beer
  2. Women can only buy beer with the permission of their husband with ID
You should have demanded a store manager on the spot.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:30 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Last night around 1030pm my husband and I were out and on the way home ran to Walmart for a couple of things. Among those things was a 12-pack of beer.

When we got to the register, I handed over my ID to cashier as my husband was putting things into the cart. The cashier looked at my ID then demanded to see my husband's ID as well. He had left his wallet at home.

When we told her this, she copped an attittude, and refused to sell me the beer even though I had vaild ID and was the one paying for it. She told me it was New Mexico state law. I have been in this state since July, have purchased beer many times with my husband present, and never has there been a request for both of us to produce ID's until last night.

Has anyone else experienced this? I used google to try to find information regarding this law and was unable to.

yes this has happened to me, everytime I buy beer and my g/f is with me,I make sure she has her ID on her, some cashiers check some dont, the whole reason is...........you could be buying it for the person with you and without an ID, the cashier dosent know if your husband is 21, he may look like it but so do the many others that buy beer and get carded.

NM is strict on selling alcohol, thats why I would never sell it. New Mexico has a serious problem with alcohol so there are plenty of laws here regarding alcohol.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Most states have the same requirement, if you look young and the people your with look young they need to see everyone's ID or they can refuse to sell you the alcohol.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:01 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Most states have the same requirement, if you look young and the people your with look young they need to see everyone's ID or they can refuse to sell you the alcohol.

also you could be 90 years old and people will still not sell the alcohol to you,at least they arnt suppose to

Old 04-18-2010, 10:04 PM

281 posts, read 629,065 times
Quote:

I've run into this in 3 different states now, WA, OR, and NM... though strangely never a problem when I lived in Las Vegas, NV.

The part that frustrates me is that I can buy it without a problem with my children with me... It's frustrating, and I don't understand it, but even chasing managers at different stores hasn't netted anything but "If you don't like it, don't shop here..."

It would seem to me that if the store made sure _I_ was 21+, then any liability about what happened with said alcohol would be mine, as the 21+ year-old.

-Z

Old 04-19-2010, 06:59 AM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times
Yes, it really doesn't make sense.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:41 AM

6 posts, read 32,834 times
Quote:

Happens all the time to my husband and I. Pretty much the norm I've noticed all over the US is anyone who looks under the age of 50 is going to be carded. Next time if he forgets his wallet, have him go outside before you pay for the beer. I had to do that once at Sunflower when I left my license in my camera bag.

Also, at Walgreens on Coors near my house it clearly states that everyone will be carded even if they aren't the purchaser of the alcohol. Maybe all the stores should take Walgreens idea and post it to avoid confusion down the road.

In the store's defense...they are just doing their job and making sure alcohol isn't sold to minors. I'm 27 and people hardly believe I'm over 20. So really how are they going to know how old the person who is with you is. See my point?

Old 04-19-2010, 09:02 AM

3,557 posts, read 10,215,780 times
Quote:

Happens all the time...

Old 04-19-2010, 09:41 AM

366 posts, read 868,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandyman View Post
It would seem to me that if the store made sure _I_ was 21+, then any liability about what happened with said alcohol would be mine, as the 21+ year-old.

-Z
You would think that, but every time there is a high profile DWI or major alcohol problem people go off trying to figure out where they got the alcohol from and try to sue the stores/bar/airline/etc...

I just hate how I can't buy alcohol until noon on Sundays..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico