Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 02:02 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Ha, You know better than that. From downtown BR to downtown Hammond is only 47 miles, to east Baton Rouge/O'neal Ln. is shorter. She definetly wouldn't need to go to the city for anything, but her sole purpose is to be close to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 03:41 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,487,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Ha, You know better than that. From downtown BR to downtown Hammond is only 47 miles, to east Baton Rouge/O'neal Ln. is shorter. She definetly wouldn't need to go to the city for anything, but her sole purpose is to be close to the city.
I was talking about N.O. -> Hammond vs. N.O. -> B.R.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
I was talking about N.O. -> Hammond vs. N.O. -> B.R.
Oh. I see...

Old 08-27-2011, 05:46 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times
Thanks y'all. I've been spending some time seeing what else is within decent driving distance from Hammond, so we will know what places there are to visit when we live there. For us, "decent" would be under 10 hours or so for a long weekend trip, but ideally under 5 hours. We have plans of visiting NOLA on a regular basis when we move to Hammond but who knows what we'll do in practice vs. in theory!

Old 08-27-2011, 06:11 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Thanks y'all. I've been spending some time seeing what else is within decent driving distance from Hammond, so we will know what places there are to visit when we live there. For us, "decent" would be under 10 hours or so for a long weekend trip, but ideally under 5 hours. We have plans of visiting NOLA on a regular basis when we move to Hammond but who knows what we'll do in practice vs. in theory!
Sabride,

Hammond is NOT New Orleans. Think of Seguin compared to San Antonio, although Hammond is a nicer place, and you might have some idea. Also add some driving time. I can understand that you want to be in NOLA but this seems very rushed.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Sabride,

Hammond is NOT New Orleans. Think of Seguin compared to San Antonio, although Hammond is a nicer place, and you might have some idea. Also add some driving time. I can understand that you want to be in NOLA but this seems very rushed.
Funny, I have been using Seguin as a comparison since they seem to be close, size wise at least.

We have been looking for a place to move to for a couple of years now. We are both students at a local community college and ever since I decided on my major, I've been looking at what schools to attend that offer that major. So a move has been in the works, we just didn't know where, and we'd considered Colorado, Iowa, and others, but pretty much anywhere BUT Texas.

Regardless it was in the plans as a temporary move, and the main criteria being that the University offers my degree, but when we realized how ridiculously affordable SELU is (even as out of state students it is cheaper than anything else we've researched), that became the "deal sealer", and we know that even if we hate it, well, we can handle anything for 2 years.

We are the type of people who are hoping to live in a variety of interesting places in our lifetime, so we don't worry too much about getting somewhere and not liking it... we can always find someplace new!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Funny, I have been using Seguin as a comparison since they seem to be close, size wise at least.

We have been looking for a place to move to for a couple of years now. We are both students at a local community college and ever since I decided on my major, I've been looking at what schools to attend that offer that major. So a move has been in the works, we just didn't know where, and we'd considered Colorado, Iowa, and others, but pretty much anywhere BUT Texas.

Regardless it was in the plans as a temporary move, and the main criteria being that the University offers my degree, but when we realized how ridiculously affordable SELU is (even as out of state students it is cheaper than anything else we've researched), that became the "deal sealer", and we know that even if we hate it, well, we can handle anything for 2 years.

We are the type of people who are hoping to live in a variety of interesting places in our lifetime, so we don't worry too much about getting somewhere and not liking it... we can always find someplace new!
I actually really like Hammond, it seems like a nice little town that has the college in there to kind of cool things up a bit. I had a plan once to move my parents' business up there, of course the problem with that is that they're not in any particular hurry to retire much less to hand it over to me. It has a neat little downtown and a public concrete skate park, but the area around there is fairly conservative overall- which I'm sure isn't much of a contrast from Seguin except that the college is public and not Lutheran. Just trying to type out what I know about the place, but you seem excited about this whole thing and I'm glad you liked NOLA so much so I won't try to rain on your parade. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:20 PM

Oh, and as far as a 5 hour trip, you can do the whole NW Florida beaches thing. Destin is one of my favorite places to go, and a lot of that area is very nice despite the whole "Redneck Riviera" sobriquet. And Seaside is just down the road from Destin- if you've ever seen "The Truman Show", that's where it was filmed. Dauphin Island is also really neat, a friend of mine's family has a cabin there and it's a lot of fun, just a little tucked away quiet island with some hamburger joints and stuff, some Indian mounds, and two or three little hotels.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
I actually really like Hammond, it seems like a nice little town that has the college in there to kind of cool things up a bit. I had a plan once to move my parents' business up there, of course the problem with that is that they're not in any particular hurry to retire much less to hand it over to me. It has a neat little downtown and a public concrete skate park, but the area around there is fairly conservative overall- which I'm sure isn't much of a contrast from Seguin except that the college is public and not Lutheran. Just trying to type out what I know about the place, but you seem excited about this whole thing and I'm glad you liked NOLA so much so I won't try to rain on your parade. Good luck.
I'm excited for anything different. I was born overseas, lived in a couple different states as a little kid but I've spent most of my life in Texas and I have hated it for as long as I can remember. Time for something else! If/when we move we're hoping my teenage son can get into the Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts in Natchitoches. Maybe. He has been researching it and is very excited at the possibility... and my eldest boy might move with us and go to SELU himself (he is 19 and kind of stagnant /directionless here in Texas at this point). I think it could be an adventure of sorts. Heck, everything is an adventure if you view it as one!

I forget that Texas is, of course, conservative overall and so is our city, pretty much, and I forget this because people tend to have a "live and let live" attitude for the most part. We live in a highly religious/ultra traditional part of town and our elderly neighbor actually crossed herself and prayed when she realized we were moving in across the street (we learned this from her adult daughter, who found it humorous). I think she thought the lesbians were going to ruin the neighborhood. Now she hugs us every time she sees us and gives the kids treats at Christmas and Easter and we help her carry groceries and firewood and watch her cats when she is away.

As far as Hammond goes, do you (or anyone else) know anything specifically about the Pine Creek University apartments on Martin Luther King avenue? They are very inexpensive and they allow pets and they're 1 mile from SELU... but they look rather hideous from the outside. Not that it really matters, as long as we have space we need and working AC we're happy. And basically safe, of course.

Quote:
Oh, and as far as a 5 hour trip, you can do the whole NW Florida beaches thing. Destin is one of my favorite places to go, and a lot of that area is very nice despite the whole "Redneck Riviera" sobriquet. And Seaside is just down the road from Destin- if you've ever seen "The Truman Show", that's where it was filmed. Dauphin Island is also really neat, a friend of mine's family has a cabin there and it's a lot of fun, just a little tucked away quiet island with some hamburger joints and stuff, some Indian mounds, and two or three little hotels.
Sounds fun... I haven't been to any part of Florida in many many years, but spent some time way back in Pensacola and I have family in the Cocoa Beach area (which I realize is much farther!), but I've heard Destin recommended on other forums as well.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:21 AM

625 posts, read 797,227 times
I live 2 hours away and visit around 3 to 4 times a year with the girlfriend. She loves it and we're planning on a move to new orleans next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans