Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,328,729 times

Advertisements

JRA, have you actually been anywhere in Louisiana? Maybe you didn't like NOLA but there is an entire state outside the city limits and it is a quite different way of life. If you don't like NOLA you may very much enjoy living in Acadiana or up near Shreveport. Especially since you already put up with living in a heavily Southern state. I am willing to bet you would very much enjoy Southern Louisiana in general. It offers everything Alabama could provide, plus actual culture.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:57 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,183 times
You shouldn't be trying to raise a family on $35k...get more education.

I make more than you do and I'm harassed constantly by recruiters for other jobs in the city.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM

489 posts, read 887,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
JRA, have you actually been anywhere in Louisiana? Maybe you didn't like NOLA but there is an entire state outside the city limits and it is a quite different way of life. If you don't like NOLA you may very much enjoy living in Acadiana or up near Shreveport. Especially since you already put up with living in a heavily Southern state. I am willing to bet you would very much enjoy Southern Louisiana in general. It offers everything Alabama could provide, plus actual culture.
Yes, let's see....Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, Shreveport, etc. I just don't like Louisiana; never will. I thought Shreveport was a big dumpy town too. The whole state is bland and ugly; and I'm not tooting my horn on living in AL either. A great deal of it is pathetic as well. I do "put up" with living in a Southern state, but fortunately I'm 28 miles from the FL state line, and it's not quite as bad. There is a difference when you cross over into FL. I have family here, the beach is close, and it's cheap to live....so I deal with it. My little "nook" of the world in which I live is a decent middle-class area; however, most of my friends reside in other various parts of the country vs. home because I've never "blended in" with the culture growing up in the South. Everyone down here lives for football, hunting, and fishing; ok not "everyone" but 30 yrs. of living here, I've found very few that weren't into that stuff.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
Yes, let's see....Baton Rouge, Lake Charles, Shreveport, etc. I just don't like Louisiana; never will. I thought Shreveport was a big dumpy town too. The whole state is bland and ugly; and I'm not tooting my horn on living in AL either. A great deal of it is pathetic as well. I do "put up" with living in a Southern state, but fortunately I'm 28 miles from the FL state line, and it's not quite as bad. There is a difference when you cross over into FL. I have family here, the beach is close, and it's cheap to live....so I deal with it. My little "nook" of the world in which I live is a decent middle-class area; however, most of my friends still reside in other various parts of the country vs. home because I've never "blended in" with the culture growing up in the South.
Well leave. We don't need to hear why you hate it so much.

I've crossed that line plenty. I feel am immense feeling of better-ism when I do...

Old 08-22-2011, 02:27 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,027,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
OP, you're correct....why didn't you do any research before moving into the city or staying in LA in general? You grew up in the area, right? You couldn't pay me $250k a year to move 150 miles west to N.O. (or ANYwhere in Lousiana). If you did your research you would have found all this out ahead of time. Sucks...but yeah, get out of there when/if you can. The cost of living is highly inflated (maybe not quite to the extreme you describe, but yes, you pay high dollar for junk). The politicians are even moreso crooked there...and when you move there, you get double taxed on your vehicle at registration (they just dub it as a "road use" tax). Sorry for those that live there and love it--the natives have this big pride thing about N.O.; but that's their preference. N.O. is a love it or hate it place....but I agree; it's filthy, taxed heavily, and full of crime. You want a real culture shock...go cross the Huey P. Long bridge and see the interesting cast of characters over there. It's like another universe.

Must be a bad place b/c our interstates over here are flooded with nothing but Louisiana drivers (terrible drivers!). Must be something bad there for them to always be on our turf.

Source for my opinion: I know people that live there and have been over there way too many times to last a lifetime.

Just curious JRL, is Alabama any great improvement? While I never had anything personally against it, I don't think it would be one of my choices if I were moving out of La. Not to say it is bad, but Al seems to come with alot of its own baggage. There are plenty of other better more progressive states than Bama. Even in the South Oh btw, I have lived in Florida too. You can have it. Scruffy, scrubby woods. Yeah the beaches look nice but I can take so much of the beach.

Last edited by hdwell; 08-22-2011 at 02:52 PM..

Old 08-22-2011, 02:33 PM

15 posts, read 38,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
You shouldn't be trying to raise a family on $35k...get more education.

I make more than you do and I'm harassed constantly by recruiters for other jobs in the city.

You're right, but could you explain to me how I am supposed to raise my family while trying to get more education? College has become a scam, in my opinion.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:35 PM

15 posts, read 38,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Why must you blame the city? Take the blame upon yourself and do something.
Why? Because when I lived here before Katrina, all of my bills were half of what they are now. What should I do? Have any suggestions? Can you point me to a job paying $60k or more a year? I'm all ears!

Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View_Anew View Post
You're right, but could you explain to me how I am supposed to raise my family while trying to get more education? College has become a scam, in my opinion.

I don't know. I have coworkers with kids in school part time.

And again you shouldn't be raising kids on such a small salary.

All I hear is your bitterness...but this is your fault, not mine, not New Orleans, not anyone else...but you. You are solely responsible for the condition of your life.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:42 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
College is a scam, but its the only way to continue education.
Quote:
Why? Because when I lived here before Katrina, all of my bills were half of what they are now. What should I do? Have any suggestions? Can you point me to a job paying $60k or more a year? I'm all ears!
Did you have a child after Katrina? That could be a problem.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:39 PM

270 posts, read 587,696 times
College is not a scam. It provides you with a foot in the door and when opportunites arise, good jobs follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
College is a scam, but its the only way to continue education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans