Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 08:44 AM

15 posts, read 38,813 times

Advertisements

Steer clear of this place. The cost of living is comparable to much more expensive cities like San Francisco and New York, but the pay is all southern. This is a poverty stricken city that will suck you in, and you'll be so tied up trying to make ends meet that you'll be trapped and unable to afford to leave. I am in that situation. I want to get out of here so bad, but I can't even afford to save $50 a month to try to leave, and I am a college graduate in a supposedly professional career. It's your life, but my suggestion is do not come here unless you are super wealthy or planning on dealing drugs and enjoy nothing more than bar hopping. There are no outdoor activities, and it's so hot all summer that you will want to be locked up inside an air conditioned environment for 4 to 5 months a year. This city is a prison!

If you have kids, please do not torture your children by moving them here. If you love your kids at all, you will have to send them to private school. The public schools are like jails, and the kids are dumber for ever going to them. There is nothing for kids to do here unless you have lots of money and can afford the zoo and aquarium, but that stuff gets old after awhile. I feel so bad for my kids having to live here.

Unless you will likely make over $100k a year, which hardly anyone does, you will have to live in some of the hardest ghettos in the world or in the far suburbs to be able to afford a place to live. If you get stuck in the suburbs, the traffic to get anywhere is always horrendous. The price of a decent 2 bedroom apartment is over $1200, the electricity will run you $300+ a month, the water/sewer/trash bill is nearly $100 a month, and the food prices are outrageous, including the fact that Orleans charges sales tax on food.

This city is a perfect example of modern day slavery. There is no middle class. If you aren't in the "in" club with the super wealthy, you will live your life in dire poverty being of service to them. I grew up an hour outside of the city, but I work and live Uptown now. Moving back here was the WORST mistake I ever made with my life, and I hope that I can convince a few of you to not make the same mistake. After I pay my living expenses every month, I would be better off still living with my parents and making minimum wage. Please take my warning and do not do this to yourself, and especially do not do this to your children if you have some.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

Old 08-22-2011, 09:03 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times
While am sorry you are having a hard time, New Orleans in NOT comparable in cost to NY or San Fran. . And you will NOT have to live in a ghetto unless you make 100k. Just not true. While housing in many areas are short, there are many people that do fine on much less than 100k and live in the city.

You are right about the public schools though.

You had no idea that New Orleans is a very hot and humid place?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Like I said, if you can't save $50 a month, I would be blaming myself.

New York or San Francisco?!! Hahahaha. You have no clue, this is rather entertaining.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
So how did you end up in a city so very wrong for you?
Most of the things you are complaining about should have been pretty obvious if there had been any amount of research done beforehand. Plenty of info available nowadays on COL, wages, schools, climate, etc. on just about any place you could name.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,751 times
It sounds like your life went awry long before you decided to move here.

Anyone making less than $100k lives in "some of the hardest ghettos in the world"? That is quite laughable.

You are way off base on all of your points.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:47 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,089 times
Pretty sure this is just the Area spewing garbage once again.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:00 AM

151 posts, read 206,097 times
I do not live in N.O but will be relocating to Louisiana in January from Upstate New York. I'm sorry but I find you completely wrong. My family makes no where near 100k and regardless of them not living directly in New Orleans they are 30 mins from there and they live in very nice neighborhoods. You state that you grew up an hour away from the city. Well, didn't know know all of this prior to moving back? If you even knew a couple of these things prior to moving back then why bother even coming back? Every person I've met, including my family is damn proud to be from Louisiana and supports their city 100%. Even myself, I am proud to say I have family there and will be a resident there come January.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 AM

15 posts, read 38,813 times
Try raising a family of four here on $35k a year and tell me how you're living then. I have to think about every penny I spend, and I'm extremely frustrated with this place. Most of you complementing this place must be of much better means than me. I can barely afford to feed my family. Where are the jobs?

Old 08-22-2011, 11:21 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View_Anew View Post
Try raising a family of four here on $35k a year and tell me how you're living then. I have to think about every penny I spend, and I'm extremely frustrated with this place. Most of you complementing this place must be of much better means than me. I can barely afford to feed my family. Where are the jobs?
Why must you blame the city? Take the blame upon yourself and do something.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:06 PM

483 posts, read 886,448 times
OP, you're correct....why didn't you do any research before moving into the city or staying in LA in general? You grew up in the area, right? You couldn't pay me $250k a year to move 150 miles west to N.O. (or ANYwhere in Lousiana). If you did your research you would have found all this out ahead of time. Sucks...but yeah, get out of there when/if you can. The cost of living is highly inflated (maybe not quite to the extreme you describe, but yes, you pay high dollar for junk). The politicians are even moreso crooked there...and when you move there, you get double taxed on your vehicle at registration (they just dub it as a "road use" tax). Sorry for those that live there and love it--the natives have this big pride thing about N.O.; but that's their preference. N.O. is a love it or hate it place....but I agree; it's filthy, taxed heavily, and full of crime. You want a real culture shock...go cross the Huey P. Long bridge and see the interesting cast of characters over there. It's like another universe.

Must be a bad place b/c our interstates over here are flooded with nothing but Louisiana drivers (terrible drivers!). Must be something bad there for them to always be on our turf.

Source for my opinion: I know people that live there and have been over there way too many times to last a lifetime.

Last edited by AlwaysBeachin; 08-22-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans