Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDat2011 View Post
College is not a scam. It provides you with a foot in the door and when opportunites arise, good jobs follow.
Yes you accept these necessary loans just to pay them back.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,861,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRA2000TL View Post
I've never "blended in" with the culture growing up in the South. Everyone down here lives for football, hunting, and fishing; ok not "everyone" but 30 yrs. of living here, I've found very few that weren't into that stuff.
Not true, I also enjoy drinking beer

Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,949,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Not true, I also enjoy drinking beer
Never really been hunting, only been fishing once since the storm. Must have been too drunk and watching the Saints.

In the spirit of whining, I'll say that I just traded in my 86 Corolla for a Maserati and have been very disappointed in the mileage. It must be the potholes around here. And the women. And the lack of a mountain.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 PM

15 posts, read 38,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prytania View Post
And again you shouldn't be raising kids on such a small salary.
Ok, I'll give you my address so you can mail me a check every month to help me raise them, or would you prefer to try to raise them yourself ?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:30 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,329,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View_Anew View Post
Ok, I'll give you my address so you can mail me a check every month to help me raise them, or would you prefer to try to raise them yourself ?

Old 08-23-2011, 12:39 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,301,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View_Anew View Post

Orrrrr...you could just be more responsible and stop blaming others for your failings.

Your life, your responsibility, your fault if things aren't going the way you want them to. Its not my fault, not the fault of New Orleans...its yours

Old 08-23-2011, 06:42 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,703,840 times
View Anew, You are not going to get much support when you a blame New Orleans for your troubles. You say you only make 35k, then some suggest college and you say it is a scam. I think if you used a different approach that you are stuggling and need a better job to make more money for your family, you might get some helpful suggestions. Not easy, but helpful. But to tell all to avoid any city unless you are rich just puts you up for bashing. See my point?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 AM

307 posts, read 803,250 times
How about job-hunting or working some overtime instead of sounding like a j@ack@ss on a message board?

Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 AM

1,960 posts, read 4,665,579 times
NO reminds me of my hometown, San Juan, PR, in that it's pushed along by a populace that emphasizes folklore over economic competitiveness and solvency for the majority. Brain drain abounds and people shrug their shoulders at the riff raffiness and "halfway there" approach to everything city planning and governance-related on account of a "vibrant culture" that really only means folklore and actually doesn't provide that solvent of a lifestyle for that many people within said populace. That doesn't make the place evil, or ill intending. It is merely the textbook definition of a a great place to VISIT and a terrible place to live. To each their own. The OP should suck it up and change her circumstances instead of blaming the city indeed, but I won't discount all her points, because they touch on many of the reasons Louisiana in general will never be considered high in the list of attractive places to live and pay taxes, for the educated class.

Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 AM

489 posts, read 887,967 times
College is a scam and I say this as someone who graduated in Finance with a 3.7 GPA and have a pretty successful career so far.

College is pretty much required these days to get any job worth any kind of money. The exception to the rule is someone who has gone into a specific trade (i.e. auto tech, electrician, plumber, etc.) Those vo-tech trades can make folks pretty successful.

The thing with this Gen Y crowd is that more and more are going to college; whereas in the 60s-80s, not as many attended. Now you have a flooding of folks obtaining a bachelors degree and amassing thousands in loans just do do so. What happens? Economics--supply and demand. The market is flooded with tons of overeducated, underexperienced folks looking for jobs. Since the job market is not so great, you have tons of folks competing for few positions. It's an employer's market..and guess what...they hire cheap labor because they can. They can pick and choose whomever and pay them peanuts because most are just glad to have a job. Now you have grads making a garbage salary and having to pay back tons of loans. Seems like a pretty **** poor deal, huh?

The dynamics of education have changed. I say if you want to better yourself, go learn a trade---laying tile, electrician, plumber, etc. You will do well and here's why; these people are NEEDED and will ALWAYS be needed. Go get a business degree and play on Excel all day; your skills are not as in-demand. On top of that, if you learn a skill and hate your boss, job, etc. you can take that skill and go into business for yourself. That right there is the ONLY way to make a really great living. As long as you're a pawn for someone else, you're limited to what you can do.

Doctors, lawyers, teachers, accountants, and engineers all require degrees and they'll always be needed; but how many of us fall into one of those categories? (I am an accountant but not a CPA because I had no desire to work in public accounting.)

I agree the OP needs to make a decision and do something; however, getting a decent paying job these days is difficult no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans