Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,505,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Does anyone know why Jazz Land failed? I'm surprised the city couldn't draw enough people to it with all the tourists. For instance, why is Orlando able to support a huge park but not New Orleans with a small one?

What's an upscale outlet mall? Like an outdoor Galleria?
Orlando is home to several theme parks that draw an international crowd. I don't think that Orlando is duplicated anywhere on the planet unless it's in Europe or Asia somewhere. Parks like Jazzland and Six Flags, on the other hand, exist everywhere. It was a small themepark stuck inbetween Six Flags parks in Atlanta, Dallas, and at the time Houston. From a local standpoint it doesn't help that a large percentage of the population west of the 17th Street Canal seem to fear traveling east of the IHNC or at least consider everything over there to be a wasteland.

By "upscale" I'm assuming it'll have stores like Off Fifth (Saks), Banana Repubilc, Ralph Lauren, etc. vs. lower end stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 09:39 PM

16,510 posts, read 26,394,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Orlando is home to several theme parks that draw an international crowd. I don't think that Orlando is duplicated anywhere on the planet unless it's in Europe or Asia somewhere. Parks like Jazzland and Six Flags, on the other hand, exist everywhere. It was a small themepark stuck inbetween Six Flags parks in Atlanta, Dallas, and at the time Houston. From a local standpoint it doesn't help that a large percentage of the population west of the 17th Street Canal seem to fear traveling east of the IHNC or at least consider everything over there to be a wasteland.

By "upscale" I'm assuming it'll have stores like Off Fifth (Saks), Banana Repubilc, Ralph Lauren, etc. vs. lower end stores.
True, was there ever a huge park planned for New Orleans? Elysian Fields streetcar + theme park located along Lakeshore Dr + more utilization of water sports and activities like the lake that was in Jazz Land = win (wishful opinion).

Can't possibly see how that outlet could work for the East.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
True, was there ever a huge park planned for New Orleans? Elysian Fields streetcar + theme park located along Lakeshore Dr + more utilization of water sports and activities like the lake that was in Jazz Land = win (wishful opinion).

Can't possibly see how that outlet could work for the East.
There used to be an amusement park at that very spot, Elysian Fields and Lakeshore, called Pontchartrain Beach. Further down near Little Woods was Lincoln Beach where Blacks, etc. who weren't allowed in Pontchartrain Beach went to hang out. The main rollercoaster at Six Flags, the Mega Zephyr, was based off of the original Zephyr at Pontchartrain Beach. All that is left of the park today is a rundown beach behind UNO.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Six Flags N.O.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/14/FEMA_-_15444_-_Photograph_by_Bob_McMillan_taken_on_09-14-2005_in_Louisiana.jpg/640px-FEMA_-_15444_-_Photograph_by_Bob_McMillan_taken_on_09-14-2005_in_Louisiana.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
There used to be an amusement park at that very spot, Elysian Fields and Lakeshore, called Pontchartrain Beach. Further down near Little Woods was Lincoln Beach where Blacks, etc. who weren't allowed in Pontchartrain Beach went to hang out. The main rollercoaster at Six Flags, the Mega Zephyr, was based off of the original Zephyr at Pontchartrain Beach. All that is left of the park today is a rundown beach behind UNO.
I believe you were the very person that told me that a while back. Didn't know about the Zephyr/Mega Zephyr relation. What's with the Zephyr names in New Orleans? Funny that the Zephyrs use the same name coincidentally.

Looking at the picture brings back memories...

Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
I believe you were the very person that told me that a while back. Didn't know about the Zephyr/Mega Zephyr relation. What's with the Zephyr names in New Orleans? Funny that the Zephyrs use the same name coincidentally.
The baseball team was already named the Zephyrs when it relocated here. The mascots are actually two nutria rats.
I don't know how the rollercoaster got its name.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
The baseball team was already named the Zephyrs when it relocated here. The mascots are actually two nutria rats.
I don't know how the rollercoaster got its name.
Yeah I looked it up.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:47 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,697,969 times
So the legend goes...Disney originally wanted to put Walt Disney World along I-10 somewhere between BR and NO (around LaPlace, I believe). We were their first choice, but people found out Walt Disney was looking for property and everyone jacked up their prices, plus the good ole boys at the state capitol put a bad taste in their mouth. Next they looked a town called Orlando, and the rest is history.

Another legend is that the infamous exit to nowhere off I-10 in NO East was supposed to serve Disney World.

Last edited by MetroBTR; 11-29-2011 at 11:58 PM..

Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 AM

^ How could I forget about that...

Old 11-30-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroBTR View Post
So the legend goes...Disney originally wanted to put Walt Disney World along I-10 somewhere between BR and NO (around LaPlace, I believe). We were their first choice, but people found out Walt Disney was looking for property and everyone jacked up their prices, plus the good ole boys at the state capitol put a bad taste in their mouth. Next they looked a town called Orlando, and the rest is history.

Another legend is that the infamous exit to nowhere off I-10 in NO East was supposed to serve Disney World.
I figured that. Got dammit. Imagine what could have been..

Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 AM

Plaza Tower in New Orleans sold for $650,000 | NOLA.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans