Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 04:35 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times

Advertisements

Was considering a position near Belle Chasse and wondered about living on the West Bank. Any place to get info on the Algiers Point area? It seemed like a nice little neighborhood area. Any websites to check about properties? I currently have a townhouse valued at 400k. Me...Anglo, single, 40s, oil/chemical business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 07:58 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,945,820 times
Algiers point is nice but it's a pretty small area. It's bounded by the Mississippi on two sides, Opelousas to the south, and Atlantic to the east (my definition). Houses there can be pricey but still cheaper than other historic areas. It doesn't have the density of shops and restaurants that some areas do but a ferry runs every half-hour to the French Quarter, and being on the West Bank the commute to Belle Chase wouldn't be far.

Using Realtor.com search in 70114 and then check the map for the area above. For example:
http://m.realtor.com/#details?listing_id=572916663

Last edited by Neworleansisprettygood; 03-06-2014 at 08:19 PM..

Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 PM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
Good advice above, though there still are a decent amount of small businesses located in Algiers Point. There is an Algiers Point neighborhood association. For other somewhat similar neighborhoods on the Westbank, Old Gretna is probably your second best option after Algiers Point, though it seems to be a big step down. There are more suburban and cheaper places in Algiers/Westbank as well.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 03-06-2014 at 11:39 PM..

Old 03-07-2014, 09:49 AM

I've spent a limited time in Algiers point. It seems like a quaint area, but things can drop off pretty quickly on the outskirts. I just want an area I can walk to pubs after work, and not have a bunch of HOA issues to deal with. (I keep my property tidy but don't need extra BS). Read they may be limiting/closing the ferries. The ferry to Chalmette may be of more interest to me than the one to the quarter. Is 'downtown' Gretna a better option...I travel on a regular basis and don't want my place ripped off while gone.

Belle Chasse seems a bit isolated and a little military heavy but I'm willing to look there if that's a good option.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:05 AM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
The outer areas (outside the boundaries neworleansisprettygood mentioned earlier) can go downhill but I'm not sure how bad those areas actually are. I think you will be fine staying in the boundaries and having general street smarts. The other residents most likely wouldn't live there and pay that much for housing if the area was bad. I think the ferry is going to run every 30 minutes but it will cost 2 dollars a trip. I think the Chalmette ferry is similar. Friends of the Ferry - Friends of the Ferry I don't know much about Gretna, just that it has some nice older homes and a little downtown area with some businesses. I don't know about safety and crime there, though it seems to be okay. Maybe check it out yourself next time. If you are that worried about Algiers Point you can just get a short term rental to feel the place out fully. There's always the neighborhoods across the river you can live in as well.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 03-07-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 11:35 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I've spent a limited time in Algiers point. It seems like a quaint area, but things can drop off pretty quickly on the outskirts. I just want an area I can walk to pubs after work, and not have a bunch of HOA issues to deal with. (I keep my property tidy but don't need extra BS). Read they may be limiting/closing the ferries. The ferry to Chalmette may be of more interest to me than the one to the quarter. Is 'downtown' Gretna a better option...I travel on a regular basis and don't want my place ripped off while gone.

Belle Chasse seems a bit isolated and a little military heavy but I'm willing to look there if that's a good option.
If you want any kind of walkability, then Old Gretna and Algiers Point are your only options on the westbank. I would give the edge to Algiers Point, though since it had easy ferry access to the CBD/French Quarter and had nicer architecture. Old Gretna will be cheaper, slightly safer and have a more conservative crowd. Both areas have a handfull of bars/coffeshops that you can easily walk to, although the Old Point Bar in Algiers is the only one with regular live music. I would feel comfortable (safety wise) living in either area.

HOAs are practically non-existent in New Orleans, so there's nothing to really deal with. Most neighborhoods do have "Neighborhood Associations," but they are more to give residents a louder voice to the city regarding, future zoning, historic preservation, etc. Not to police current residents' properties.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:12 AM

Been looking and Algiers vs Algiers point seems to be a bit different. Is Algiers against some rougher neighborhoods? I travel a bit, so I'm worried about breakins when I'm gone.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Yes Algiers has a few bad spots.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:38 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,085,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Been looking and Algiers vs Algiers point seems to be a bit different. Is Algiers against some rougher neighborhoods? I travel a bit, so I'm worried about breakins when I'm gone.
You get a lot more house in Algiers compared to Algiers Pointe, as Algiers is very suburban. If you decide to go with the Algiers, I'd stay as close to General De Gaulle Drive as possible. There are some really nice subdivisions right off of De Gaulle and its away from any of the sketchy parts of Algiers.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:42 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,340,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
You get a lot more house in Algiers compared to Algiers Pointe, as Algiers is very suburban. If you decide to go with the Algiers, I'd stay as close to General De Gaulle Drive as possible. There are some really nice subdivisions right off of De Gaulle and its away from any of the sketchy parts of Algiers.
Old Aurora is still a nice neighborhood. From Kabel down to Sullen and from De Gaulle to the river. Also, that little area between De Gaulle and Berman Hwy close to the expressway is also pretty nice and has low crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans