Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:02 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharibaby View Post
I'm not looking for a bartending or waitressing job! Nor do I want to work at Rousse's, Wal Mart or any of those places!

Thanks for your reply though!
Are you currently employed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM

117 posts, read 257,690 times
I moved back to NOLA in December and haven't found work yet. Everybody is having a hard time, not just you. My homie from NOLA is in florida right now, he just graduated with a BA and can't find a job. It's tough in AMERICA period.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:44 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharibaby View Post
I'm not looking for a bartending or waitressing job! Nor do I want to work at Rousse's, Wal Mart or any of those places!

Thanks for your reply though!
I've been unemployed in Tennessee now for 6 months and would kill to work at Rousses or Wal-Mart..

Go figure.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:45 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekboi View Post
I moved back to NOLA in December and haven't found work yet. Everybody is having a hard time, not just you. My homie from NOLA is in florida right now, he just graduated with a BA and can't find a job. It's tough in AMERICA period.
People with B.A.'s in Florida are lucky to find jobs as telemarketers, I used to live there and that's the reason I left.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:50 PM

37 posts, read 102,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
Jobs aren't that hard to get around New Orleans (we are an expanding city where people are transplanting from Atlanta & Texas right now)....please don't take this the wrong way, but, perhaps you need some polishing on your interview process?!?
Agreed, it's easy as heck to get a job here. Either as Alon504 mentoined is your problem, or you need to upgrade some skills, or possiby you're looking to start at the top or something.

Good luck with your job hunting.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:06 AM

8 posts, read 29,047 times
I visited NOLA for the first time last May, and fell in love with it.

I graduated in December 2008 from college with a degree in Economics plus I just passed my CPA exam.

Does anyone know what the job prospects would be like for someone like me?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-07-2009, 03:14 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I've been unemployed in Tennessee now for 6 months and would kill to work at Rousses or Wal-Mart..

Go figure.
That's why I wondered if she had a current job or if she's completely unemployed b/c I know if I was unemployed I would jump at the chance for any work I could find.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:16 AM

14 posts, read 137,587 times
Look in Metairie for Real estate opportunities. Your job sector for NO isn't doing well.

When it comes to job hunting people fail to realize it isn't just about "finding a job", it's about finding a job you're trained for, what you do, and what you like to do that decides whether it's easy or hard to find a job. There are a number of job sectors that are doing terrible right now in NO.

I.e., I'm a paramedic with 20 years experience. NOEMS has a hiring freeze. EJMC a freeze. WJMC a freeze. BREMS a freeze. Acadian, I refuse to work for, and that only leaves Care ambulance and Amed which pay little and no benefits. Additionally, oil below 75/barrel means offshore medic work is slim pickings. So yeah....it's tough right now for me. Others I talk to are doing great because there sector is doing fine.

Eventually though, the unemployment problem will creep into SE Louisiana due to a variety factors too lengthy to go into.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:43 PM

580 posts, read 1,422,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alon504 View Post
Jobs aren't that hard to get around New Orleans (we are an expanding city where people are transplanting from Atlanta & Texas right now)....please don't take this the wrong way, but, perhaps you need some polishing on your interview process?!?
I would love to know what I am doing wrong then. I am a Marketing graduate from Mississippi working as a Purchasing Manager. I have applied over and over and cannot get accepted anywhere. I've had about 4 interviews but someone else got selected. I am trying to move into New Orleans metro (love it ) or Atlanta, GA.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:10 PM

26 posts, read 52,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
People with B.A.'s in Florida are lucky to find jobs as telemarketers, I used to live there and that's the reason I left.
Thats bs. I used to live in New Orleans 3 years ago and the pay is a joke. I work in the IT field and I have a sister who has a PH.D who is a Principle here in Miami. The pay with a BA and all certifications I have is 35k-50 (max) even with a master's degree. Here in Miami im getting paid 85k and can max out close to 100k. Same for my sister. She went from making 60k in New Orleans to 91k here in Miami. I would never move back to New Orleans. The pay, crime, roads, racism and education are not worth it. I do miss eating my mom's okra gumbo. If I was most of you looking to live here, look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans