Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 06:31 AM

34,142 posts, read 47,376,088 times

Advertisements

Typical floor plan for Franklin Plaza here:

New York Real Estate Brochures Collection: Projects

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,253,323 times
People looking for ML Co-ops, can also check the housing lottery list at nyc.gov:
HPD - Apartment Seekers - Current Housing Lotteries

When I was looking, I scoured that list every week (made sure to read every listing as some were in the wrong category or borough) and sent postcards/applications for any complex I thought we might qualify for.

Now we own our own home in a neighborhood we never could have afforded. Of course, there are the regular co-op headaches due to owners having varying agendas. But I wouldn't trade it for the uncertainty of renting or buying in a cheaper neighborhood.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,130,658 times
SeventhFloor,

You are a wealth of good information.
How did you EVER find that set of floorplans?

Old 08-05-2012, 11:30 AM

34,142 posts, read 47,376,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
SeventhFloor,

You are a wealth of good information.
How did you EVER find that set of floorplans?
My obsession with NYCHA and pre-war architecture led me to that site.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-06-2012, 08:39 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,919,713 times
I caught a ride home to the UES with my sister last night, and she always takes Second down from the Third Avenue Bridge. I wasn't too thrilled with the area..but would get a better sense out of the car, I think (she was driving too fast for me to even really tell which buildings were part of Franklin Plaza). Maybe this weekend I'll take a trip up there.

Those floor plans do look pretty amazing, though!!! Either way, it can't hurt to get an application. Sounds like similar pricing to Co-op City, which I was considering a few years ago...just too damn far away from anywhere I want to be.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Sounds like similar pricing to Co-op City

All Michell Lama co-ops have very similar pricing.

Quote:
I wasn't too thrilled with the area
The only thing thrilling about the area is that it is only 12 blocks North of 96th St. (And it probably has very good security.)

Quote:
(she was driving too fast for me to even really tell which buildings were part of Franklin Plaza)
I think the entire blocks between 106th and 108th and SECOND and THIRD are Franklin Plaza. You have a local bus at 108th and a Select bus at 106th.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:50 AM

Did a little more "wandering" around the web last night looking for more info on FP - thought I'd post here for anyone else interested.

According to this listing (scroll way down, about 3/4 down page), the application fee is $150, and the average waiting list time is 5-10 years:
East Harlem Preservation

I honestly don't know how interested I am....who knows where the neighborhood will be by the time I came up on the list? And who knows where I'll be? (I really want to get situated before then...) I'm going to request an application, and decide from there. I'll probably apply, just to get my name on the list. I can always decline, but in 5 years, I won't be able to turn back time and send in the app

If the app has more info than has been posted here (income requirements/limits, etc), I'll post it.

KK, since you're a wealth of knowledge on the topic...do you know if they evaluate your finances at the time of application, or at the time you come up on the list? I'm not in a position to be approved at this time, but definitely hope in 5 years I will be!!! Thanks!!!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:03 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,270,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Did a little more "wandering" around the web last night looking for more info on FP - thought I'd post here for anyone else interested.

According to this listing (scroll way down, about 3/4 down page), the application fee is $150, and the average waiting list time is 5-10 years:
East Harlem Preservation

I honestly don't know how interested I am....who knows where the neighborhood will be by the time I came up on the list? And who knows where I'll be? (I really want to get situated before then...) I'm going to request an application, and decide from there. I'll probably apply, just to get my name on the list. I can always decline, but in 5 years, I won't be able to turn back time and send in the app

If the app has more info than has been posted here (income requirements/limits, etc), I'll post it.

KK, since you're a wealth of knowledge on the topic...do you know if they evaluate your finances at the time of application, or at the time you come up on the list? I'm not in a position to be approved at this time, but definitely hope in 5 years I will be!!! Thanks!!!
When I applied to Penn South in Chelsea I wasn't sure I wanted to live there or where I would be. It just so happened that the neighborhood evolved into a desirable and safe place to live and was well worth the $150 I paid at the time. In 10 years East Harlem could be awesome -- or not.

It just gives you one more option -- can't hurt.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
When I applied to Penn South in Chelsea I wasn't sure I wanted to live there or where I would be. It just so happened that the neighborhood evolved into a desirable and safe place to live and was well worth the $150 I paid at the time. In 10 years East Harlem could be awesome -- or not.

It just gives you one more option -- can't hurt.
That's where I'm leaning!!! The worst that happens is that I'm out $150 - certainly wouldn't be the silliest thing I've ever spent that much on...

Old 08-07-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
They take your word for it and know that this estimate will have almost NO reality when you are finally called. So just put downn numbers that jibe with the requirements. Only your status when they are ready for you will have meaning.

Quote:
That's where I'm leaning!!! The worst that happens is that I'm out $150 - certainly wouldn't be the silliest thing I've ever spent that much on...
I THINK that only $50 may be in jeopardy. If you decline in the future you get either $100 back or indeed possibley the entire $150.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery