Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:41 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times

Advertisements

KK, did you end up getting into some sort of affordable housing "deal'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 11:00 PM

14 posts, read 63,753 times
Smile I've been approved to buy a Mitchell-Lama co-op...

This is my first post on this forum... It is not a reply, it's a question, but I didn't know where else on this site I could post it. Please forgive me if I've posted this the wrong place!

Question: The apartment needs some upgrading... kitchen & bathroom. If I get Board approval for the work, what happens in the future, if I should sell the apartment. Will my upgrades increase the value/resale price? If so, how is that determined?

Old 08-17-2012, 05:41 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanford909 View Post
This is my first post on this forum... It is not a reply, it's a question, but I didn't know where else on this site I could post it. Please forgive me if I've posted this the wrong place!

Question: The apartment needs some upgrading... kitchen & bathroom. If I get Board approval for the work, what happens in the future, if I should sell the apartment. Will my upgrades increase the value/resale price? If so, how is that determined?

Sanford,
The usual rule of thumb (except for some dishonest HGTV shows) is that you almost never get back what you put in...kitchens and bathrooms get closest to break-even. So make sure that any upgrading will increase YOUR quality of life while you are living there.

I think though that if you can do most of the work yourself, and thus ignore the cost of your time and effort, you can make some money with upgrades. It's the LABOR cost of these jobs, especially in NYC, that makes upgrading so expensive. Easy and cheap to buy some tile, a tub, a sink, a medicine cabinet, and a toilet (and even a bidet) but it costs a fortune to have a tiler, plumber, and electrician to turn it into a showplace bathroom.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the very good advice K. King. I'm not looking to create a showplace or to reap large returns on my upgrade. As you say, I'm just wanting to improve my quality of life. I'm pretty good at some projects, but not others, so I would like to save $$$ by doing some projects myself. Being brand new to both co-op life & Mitchell-Lama, I assumed that that the co-op would require me to hire an insured, licensed plumber for anything involving plumbing. In fact, if apartment owners are allowed to do such plumbing projects themselves, I would worry!. In the past, I've found that working with water, valves, pipe fittings, etc. can be tricky in terms of unanticipated pressure, leak problems, etc., best left to a responsible professional — not for amateurs like myself!... But that's just me.

I haven't seen by-laws yet, and will look for this info. when I do.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:58 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,832 times
People buy ML coops at super low price. What about selling? What is the price 5 years in the future, the same or slightly higher?

Old 08-17-2012, 10:50 AM

Here is a quote from another online source:
"When a Mitchell-Lama shareholder leaves the co-op and “sells” his/her shares, they are only entitled to the amount they paid, plus any capital assessments, plus (depending on the policy of the particular cooperative) any mortgage amortization. The concept of “fair market value” and “appraisals” simply do not apply to such apartments".
I hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:35 AM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Most Mitchell Lama places are strict about making changes. You should check with management first.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 AM

As long as the co-op stays withing ML then the apartment must be sold back to the co-op. Practically speaking this has meant something like a doubling in price every 10-15 years,
BUT if the co-op takes itself private, something several have done by paying back all government loans, then large apartments in desirable complexes can be sold on the open market for immense profits...hundreds of thousands of dollars, even a million.

Licenced insured plumbers are usually required for any major repairs. If you do it yourself, you risk immense liability if you screw up. Often the co-op will provide for plumbning repairs for smaller jobs involving normal breakdown (toilet or faucet replacement, leaky drains, washers, etc.) Probably what the co-op will do is determined by what the co-operators through its board WANT it to do.

I'd replace a washer or a leaky trap myself, but that's about it.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:24 AM

Regarding the resale of ML co-op, one source says: "When a Mitchell-Lama shareholder “sells” his/her shares, they are only entitled to the amount they paid, plus any capital assessments, plus any mortgage amortization".

But Keffir King says: "...the apartment must be sold back to the co-op. Practically speaking this has meant something like a doubling in price every 10-15 years..."

So which is it? Does the seller get double his price in 10 - 15 years? Or does he only get back what he paid plus some add-ons?

Last edited by sanford909; 08-18-2012 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-18-2012, 01:05 PM

sanford,

They equate to the same thing. That complicated addition of several items, "add-ons," has resulted in an approximate tripling of principal over the last 20 years. That means a buyer at $4K in 1992 can sell back at about $12K in 2012 and that's what a newbie will pay. That is observable fact.
Remember that tiny increments over many years get substantial.

You cannot lose with these apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery