Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 08:07 AM

782 posts, read 527,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
No, am thinking it's the other way around. Asked what the *dollar amount* is that you pay? Did not say in your post, and only said *Queens*. The *advertised* amount tells us nothing, but that you may pay less than that (according to you).
Dude, stop being a hypocrite. We all know you won't reveal where you live yourself. You can't ask other people for the same info that you won't disclose.

Again try rereading posts carefully. You say you pay $1600 for a studio and that I likely pay more. You know how that doesn't make sense, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 08:57 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Dude, stop being a hypocrite. We all know you won't reveal where you live yourself. You can't ask other people for the same info that you won't disclose.

Again try rereading posts carefully. You say you pay $1600 for a studio and that I likely pay more. You know how that doesn't make sense, right?
Never said *you*. Re-read what I wrote. Already revealed where I live. Two apartments, one in Manhattan and one in the outer boroughs in an upper middle to upper class area. Can run your mouth to no end but can't be bothered to read closely.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:11 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,821 times
Just because a person is paying preferential rent, which is lower than legal rent does not mean the apartment is worth that rent. Many times, the LL charges less because his/her apartment is a dump and CAN'T rent at the prevailing area prices or the legal allowable rent is above what the market would bear. It could be because it's renovated, or a slew of other factors.

For example, the current place I rent is in a neighborhood where apartments rent at above $2500 a month. However, those apartments are renovated.

This apartment has a kitchen that was renovated in the 70s or late 80s, maybe earlier. (It still has mustard and pink colored fixtures.) The refrigerator when I moved in had a mark from 1984.
The hardwood floors have not been sanded or poly'd in who knows when. The splinters that come up, off the top are the size of chopsticks at times.
The only paint that has seen the walls in decades is paint applied with my own hand, but half the apartment has wall paper that went up... who knows when. It's starting to peel.
It has dropped ceilings!
There is no garbage storage other than in the unit and taking the garbage out on non-trash days means a ticket from the city.
The electric may have been upgraded since 1920, but it hasn't been upgraded in 30 years and it shows. You can easily blow the circuit by turning on the coffee maker and the microwave at the same time. And getting to it means opening a grate in the sidewalk to get to the basement. (Can we say inconvenient much?)

I know the landlord has delusions that he can sell for a million plus, but I think upon an appraisal, he would not get that even if the prevailing sales price makes that.

So pricing can be a funny thing.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:28 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,240,189 times
pierrepont7731
But what specific neighborhoods?

Old 09-03-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Never said *you*. Re-read what I wrote. Already revealed where I live. Two apartments, one in Manhattan and one in the outer boroughs in an upper middle to upper class area. Can run your mouth to no end but can't be bothered to read closely.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
When did you specify how much you pay and where? The places I reside have easy access to the UES.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
When did you specify how much you pay and where? The places I reside have easy access to the UES.
I state all the time on my treads where I live

Old 09-04-2017, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I state all the time on my treads where I live
Wouldn't know about that. Didn't see anything in this thread about you.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,089,626 times
It is not losers who make it to 70 but WINNERS. The real losers are the ones who drop dead at 50. It is not losers who pay less than $1000 rent, but those who pay more than $3000.

I know many seniors in rent stabilization in Manhattan, most in the West Village. They have stayed in the same apartment for decades (rent control rewards inertia.) NONE of them is paying the so-called "preferential tax" and a few even pay less than $500 for 1 bedroom apartments in elevator buildings.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:03 PM

714 posts, read 356,886 times
Default Short, simple, and to the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

I know many seniors in rent stabilization in Manhattan, most in the West Village. They have stayed in the same apartment for decades (rent control rewards inertia.) NONE of them is paying the so-called "preferential tax" and a few even pay less than $500 for 1 bedroom apartments in elevator buildings.
WOW! In just a few words, especially the ones I highlighted, you summed up the reason for the apartment shortage, the reason for high market rents, and the case against rent control!

Short and simple. Well said. Congrats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery