Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:25 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

The smartest thing I could have done was back in 1973, instead of living in a place that was just adequate, would have been to buy the largest grandest rental in a large building (one not likely to be torn down) that I could afford even if it took 80% of my income.
It would have been rent controlled and then possibly negotiated into rent stabilization.

Friends did exactly that. They rented 3 bedrooms/Junior 4, at 95th and Broadway in the '60's (area was a Hellhole then.) Place went co-op and they bought at an insider price, lived for years, decorated like Versailles. WHen retirement came they sold the apartment for a bleedin' FORTUNE and bought a gorgeous 1-bedroom in the same building. The money left over paid for their retirement and Summers on Fire Island.

If only we had a crystal ball, right, or a time machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 07:32 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
The smartest thing I could have done was back in 1973, instead of living in a place that was just adequate, would have been to buy the largest grandest rental in a large building (one not likely to be torn down) that I could afford even if it took 80% of my income.
It would have been rent controlled and then possibly negotiated into rent stabilization.

Friends did exactly that. They rented 3 bedrooms/Junior 4, at 95th and Broadway in the '60's (area was a Hellhole then.) Place went co-op and they bought at an insider price, lived for years, decorated like Versailles. WHen retirement came they sold the apartment for a bleedin' FORTUNE and bought a gorgeous 1-bedroom in the same building. The money left over paid for their retirement and Summers on Fire Island.

If only we had a crystal ball, right, or a time machine.
Can you recall what year they sold it?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-06-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator11040 View Post
WOW! In just a few words, especially the ones I highlighted, you summed up the reason for the apartment shortage, the reason for high market rents, and the case against rent control!

Short and simple. Well said. Congrats

Perhaps rent control is NOT the reason for the rental woes of the City. Perhaps it is the lack of UNIVERSAL rent control that is the cause of high market rents. Perhaps all 80/20's should be built with 80% affordable.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:41 AM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
What is the market rent for that apartment?

Also, do you feel trapped? In other words, you are getting such a good deal you can't leave, even if you really want to leave.
I don't feel trapped because thank God, I'm making decent money and have no debt - not one penny in even credit card debt. I live on my own cash. My rent is a smaller percentage of my income in comparison to that of other people.

The market rate is $2,700 (at least that's what my neighbors below me are paying). Although I have a one bedroom, my landlord wants to convert it into a two bedroom to make more money. He has told me himself and even offered me 50K to give up my lease.

I wouldn't mind paying up to $1,900 - but it has to be for a place I'd love to live in. There was a housing lottery here that I really wanted and my log number was only 2xx. I would have left my current place in a heartbeat. It never happened.

Old 09-06-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Can you recall what year they sold it?

This is going to take some mental strain but I believe it was most likely the mid-'70's. When I met them they were already in the smaller, but still magnificent apartment. Other members of our Gay Mensa group said "You should have seen their OLD place."

Old 09-06-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I don't feel trapped because thank God, I'm making decent money and have no debt - not one penny in even credit card debt. I live on my own cash. My rent is a smaller percentage of my income in comparison to that of other people.

The market rate is $2,700 (at least that's what my neighbors below me are paying). Although I have a one bedroom, my landlord wants to convert it into a two bedroom to make more money. He has told me himself and even offered me 50K to give up my lease.

I wouldn't mind paying up to $1,900 - but it has to be for a place I'd love to live in. There was a housing lottery here that I really wanted and my log number was only 2xx. I would have left my current place in a heartbeat. It never happened.
50K? You can get into plenty of Mitchell-Lama co-ops around the city with that cash. I only put down 13K to get in mine. You wouldn't consider that?

Old 09-06-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
This is going to take some mental strain but I believe it was most likely the mid-'70's. When I met them they were already in the smaller, but still magnificent apartment. Other members of our Gay Mensa group said "You should have seen their OLD place."
They got lucky....you know I'm in M-L too so i'm not going anywhere for the foreseeable future.....but you know what, where I grew up is arguably the worst Queens has to offer, I would like to reap a few benefits from living here so long and firmly putting roots in my community. I'm not afraid to say it.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:25 AM

6,690 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
50K? You can get into plenty of Mitchell-Lama co-ops around the city with that cash. I only put down 13K to get in mine. You wouldn't consider that?
Yes, of course! But I'm not sure what Mitchell Lama's are available. I haven't really looked into it.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:55 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
The wait lists are painful, but get on them early. Eventually they should pan out. Penn South though...

Old 09-06-2017, 09:28 AM

148 posts, read 130,192 times
My friend has a Penthouse apt on Park ave bt 34 n 40st. Wrap around terrace and 2 levels. Been there since the early 80's and pays less than $4500
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery