Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 05:05 PM

6,692 posts, read 6,047,195 times

Advertisements

Dummies,

A regular powerball lottery doesn’t ask you to submit personal information (banking, 401ks, social security numbers, license, birth certificates, and other personal identifiable information that can be used to steal your identity) to play!

You sound like a bunch of dumb asses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2017, 05:58 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Dummies,

A regular powerball lottery doesn’t ask you to submit personal information (banking, 401ks, social security numbers, license, birth certificates, and other personal identifiable information that can be used to steal your identity) to play!

You sound like a bunch of dumb asses.

Temper, temper!

Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 PM

195 posts, read 430,043 times
I feel the lotteries are meant for people who have nothing going during their year. If someone has a vacation planned and the lottery happens to notify you for interview and anything else it really does affect the mind. It is hard enough to even get called for an interview, so imagine the stress the process is to find out you are placed in "Waitlist" The process is absurd, but what else can be done? I think its great to have an opportunity to "win" an affordable apartment, but get the stress pills ready when dealing with the process.

Does anyone even know what is the verification like? I went to interview on Friday and the interviewer told me they would send out verification forms starting this week. My landlord is going on vacation in several weeks and this would drive me crazy if he is not back until mid -late January... Do they send out all verification,, slow mail? to IRS? Banks or fax? I would hate to hear that it is all slow mail... When we have fax to make it go faster... I read that they can get the tax return transcripts via online requests... I just dont want to call up interviewer and request for them to hurry up,, and not make me wait 3 months for this thing.... to be over... I will be one of those that wished I could travel out of the country but the thought they will ask me for something and I am out of the country makes me cringe even more... So I am one of those individuals that wishes the process to go faster than 3 months...

Old 12-04-2017, 09:28 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,464,759 times
You're overexaggerating this. If you're out of the country, you'll deal with it when you get back. A week or two will make no difference. If you're that worried and you travel with your computer, as most people now do, you can still submit documents if they're all online. You can call from anywhere. There's something in the guidlines about them not being allowed to penalize the applicant if a landlord or an employer or a financial institution neglects to return a document. The marketing agent is supposed to try three times for third party verifications. They need to be held to that. If you get rejected because a third party did not return a document, you could appeal and cite the guidelines in your favor. If you submit your application online, most of the communication is online (this wasn't always true, but there was a revamping a few months ago, and now it seems to be). When you get a letter in the mail, it's usually a rejection, which still seems to come via mail because it takes longer and it's a way to discourage the applicant from appealing (I was told this first-hand). You can't get invested in this or put your life on hold. The process is absurd--and even at times humorous in its absurdity. What's stressful, as I said previously, is the incompetence of the people administering the program, the arbitrary way in which decisions are made, a stupifying rigidity that makes no sense, and a lack of consistency in applying the guidelines. The administrators are poorly trained. Remember, it's a government program--with city, state and federal govts all involved. Plus a commercial developer whose project is likely not going according to schedule. What do you expect? It would be weird if the program worked logically and wasn't stressful. I don't want to sound disrespectful toward anyone feeling stress (I've felt it too), but you can't let this get to you. Go about your life, and if the lottery works out, great, if not, there will be another lottery or you'll find another solution to your housing dilemma. Keep moving, both in your life and in looking for housing, as the lottery is not likely to work. It's just one thing out there, and you can't hang your life on it.

Last edited by Moving415; 12-04-2017 at 09:55 PM..

Old 12-04-2017, 09:46 PM

34,114 posts, read 47,349,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
doesn’t ask you to submit personal information (banking, 401ks, social security numbers, license, birth certificates, and other personal identifiable information that can be used to steal your identity) to play!
The fear of identity theft is not stopping people from applying, however.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-04-2017, 09:52 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,464,759 times
About identity theft, the information provided to the program is available to many other businesses you deal with, such as your cell phone company, which also has your address and Social Security number, your health insurance provider, etc., your bank. Any business you deal with. I'm not saying it's not a concern, but many other entities have this info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: