Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 PM

15 posts, read 28,934 times

Advertisements

Thanks JBronxite, I will definitely give it a try. @BronxGuyanese, the Northrose is a mess. None of the amenities are available for use. The elevator rarely works and I live on the 13th floor! One of the sprinklers burst in my apartment and caused substantial damage. This was back in October. No repairs have been made to my apartment yet. The building manager is rude and uncaring and some of the tenants are treating the building like the projects. It's a waste of $1400 a month and a huge disappointment. I just hope that this complex isn't all hype like the Northrose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,254,179 times
I was very skeptic about Northrose from the beginning it's in a way too burdened location. Putting up a couple of high-rises and plant a tree and two three park benches and Sim Sala Bim the neighborhood is ready for primetime. The problem is mainly the ppl who don't live there but they wanna hang out there too, around new cool buildings but this time around they are not invited to the party so they are gonna vandalize and disturb the everyday life of the residents to the point that they cannot take anymore. Sad. Hope the Via Verde turns out better.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
I would have never guessed that you were negative on anything to do with the Bronx Whitlock..what a shock! They put up a new park and you will point out that 2 kids have scraped their knees on the concrete and "it clearly is a dangerous park that should never have been built because this ain't Manhattan and never will be!"

The problems occuring in the Northrose are nothing new or unique, and the same problems that occur with developments of this size for condos costing more than $1 Million, or haven't you heard:

Williamsburg waterfront condo residents complain of 'shoddy' construction - NYPOST.com

"Priced from $512,000 for studios to $2.8 million for penthouses. A half dozen condo owners interviewed by The Post say their walls are leaky and poorly insulated; mold is growing in the walls; and there is faulty plumbing, sewage, heating and air-conditioning systems. The windows are thin and the seams between the panes allow wind and rain to easily come through, residents say. Some residents have taped around the window panes, but they say rain and air still blows in." Sounds familiar??????????????

And if you google "shoddy construction NYC" you will get tons of other examples. So yes ANY development of this magnitude built recently has problems, regardless of how many millions you paid, and Northrose is part of that. However, it will take time to address all of these issues, and there are no doubt growing pains. It usually takes a few years before all the kinks/problems are worked out of new construction, and most people don't understand that when they are moving to a new development.

So yes there are problems with Northrose, and there will be similar problems with Via Verde, and every other new development. If you don't want to deal with any problems, move into a development older than 5 years, which will have most of these issues corrected.

A simpleton would believe "wham bam put up a tree and some high-rises and the neighborhood is ready for prime-time", but that has nothing to do with what is occuring at the Northrose, or any other new construction development.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:45 AM

109 posts, read 205,830 times
The newest press about Via Verde... gosh I hope they are exaggerating about having 30 units left.... that puts us at 57% of the units sold. Elanor has gotten some extra help. I called yesterday and someone else picked up. Like actually picked up within four rings! lol. I do hope they are right about late March... though I should probably finish my loan application

Have a great day

New South Bronx Housing Complex Is Not "Green" To Environmentally Friendly Ideas - NY1.com

Old 02-28-2012, 08:00 AM

65 posts, read 81,588 times
Looks pretty cool...love this development. If I didn't currently own, I would be buying here.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candice1265 View Post
Thanks JBronxite, I will definitely give it a try. @BronxGuyanese, the Northrose is a mess. None of the amenities are available for use. The elevator rarely works and I live on the 13th floor! One of the sprinklers burst in my apartment and caused substantial damage. This was back in October. No repairs have been made to my apartment yet. The building manager is rude and uncaring and some of the tenants are treating the building like the projects. It's a waste of $1400 a month and a huge disappointment. I just hope that this complex isn't all hype like the Northrose.
Wow, sorry to hear that. Damn I really had high hopes for this development. They should have allowed some sort of majority home ownership to help improve the area instead of rental, problem with rental everyone just cares about paying thier rent and thats it. TO many hoodrats live in the Bronx, once a hoodrat always a hoodrat it dont matter where you live. I work in a rental in Midtown and some hoodrats to live in that building amongst the professional out of town transplants and these hoodrats are in another world.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,254,179 times
I know a guy who fell in love with a really pretty ghetto chick. He brought shorty to suburbs trying to strip her off of the ghetto element. They are no longer together so I guess it was too late to adapt her to a new environment.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:47 AM

That's a kinda silly statement. It is not the case that once a hoodrat always a hoodrat...yes it has become a "lifestyle" but those who want to leave that life have been for decades now, and have been assimilating into mainstream America all over the country, including PA, NJ, Florida, Virginia, Georgia, etc.

Yes there are too many of them in the Bronx, but developments like these, which are being aggressively built across the borough, particularly in the Southern Bronx, are not only bringing a new working/middle class community to the area, but also providing "locals" with the opportunity to climb the economic ladder locally, and erode that mentality.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:25 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,054,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBronxGuy View Post
That's a kinda silly statement. It is not the case that once a hoodrat always a hoodrat...yes it has become a "lifestyle" but those who want to leave that life have been for decades now, and have been assimilating into mainstream America all over the country, including PA, NJ, Florida, Virginia, Georgia, etc.

Yes there are too many of them in the Bronx, but developments like these, which are being aggressively built across the borough, particularly in the Southern Bronx, are not only bringing a new working/middle class community to the area, but also providing "locals" with the opportunity to climb the economic ladder locally, and erode that mentality.
Hey you sound like sobroguy!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:54 AM

Yes...that's because I am! Another moderator with poor judgement, so I had to reboot as usual. I had flashbacks of ViralMD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery