Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 01:10 PM

41 posts, read 74,052 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I really appreciate any feedback on this. I applied for an apartment on the upper west side my log number was in the high 63000's. But two weeks ago I was emailed asked to come in for an interview. I already live in the upper west side so I am thinking my community board preference helped me. I worked very hard and got all my documents in order and my info matches the info on the application I submitted with. My interview is this Tuesday, but I am feeling discouraged as my log number is so high. Please let me know what you guys think as to wether I even have a shot. The fact I got called into the interview is a good sign right?

Appreciate any info!
Thanks,
- Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 02:10 PM

318 posts, read 280,498 times
Congratulations don’t feel discouraged the community preference really help a lot. Speaking from experience

Old 03-03-2019, 02:13 PM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Yes, it's a very good sign that you got called. Best of luck!

Old 03-03-2019, 03:42 PM

1,486 posts, read 988,352 times
In my experience a high log number means nothing as they can prune through the list very fast for many reasons.
- applicant no longer meets the requirements due to income
- applicant no longer meets the requirements due to family size
- applicant turned down an apartment
- applicant found another apartment
- applicant moved out of the state
- applicant didn't reply to requests from the developer
- etc

I say go to the interview with all your things in order and see how it goes. The only thing is to ensure whatever the rent + utilities is wont leave you living paycheck to paycheck or will give you a step up above your current living arrangement.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:59 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenike215 View Post
Hey guys,

I really appreciate any feedback on this. I applied for an apartment on the upper west side my log number was in the high 63000's. But two weeks ago I was emailed asked to come in for an interview. I already live in the upper west side so I am thinking my community board preference helped me. I worked very hard and got all my documents in order and my info matches the info on the application I submitted with. My interview is this Tuesday, but I am feeling discouraged as my log number is so high. Please let me know what you guys think as to wether I even have a shot. The fact I got called into the interview is a good sign right?

Appreciate any info!
Thanks,
- Mike
Why do people get themselves worked up over something that they shouldn't?

Obviously your log number (high or whatever) isn't an issue any longer because you were called in for an interview. While still early in game it still is streets ahead of not being contacted for an interview or otherwise further acknowledged other than possibly notice of receipt of applications.

If you applied for a job along with 10,000 applicants and you were selected for an interview what would that say?

Old 03-03-2019, 04:31 PM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Mike, this is what I suggest you do:

Search this forum. The search box is toward the upper right. I usually search for something like 80/20 lottery.

That will bring up lots of threads. You may even see a thread for the building you applied for. Read what other people have posted. There is a wealth of information here! Make use of it.

Google Marketing Guidelines HPD. Download the Marketing Handbook PDF and read through it. The more you understand the process, the more knowledgeable you will be. Pay particular attention to how your income will be calculated. Plus, the agents often make mistakes. It will be on you to spot them.

When you go for your eligibility appointment, dress nicely. Be friendly in a professional way. Don't be too chatty. Answer all questions clearly but don't volunteer any information not asked for. I mention this because when I'm nervous, I start talking, and sometimes I say things I shouldn't. Don't be like me.

Back in 2015, a close friend of mine was called for an apartment. She wasn't going to go for the appointment because her log number was 12,000, and she didn't see how people with numbers lower than that wouldn't get the apartments first. I convinced her to follow through, and she ended up getting a very nice apartment that she could afford. We didn't know about this site, we didn't know about community preference, we didn't know anything! It was pure luck that she stumbled through the process successfully.

Best of luck!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 03-03-2019 at 04:41 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 04:36 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,464,356 times
Waterline square?

Old 03-03-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Mike, this is what I suggest you do:

Search this forum. The search box is toward the upper right. I usually search for something like 80/20 lottery.

That will bring up lots of threads. You may even see a thread for the building you applied for. Read what other people have posted. There is a wealth of information here! Make use of it.

Google Marketing Guidelines HPD. Download the Marketing Handbook PDF and read through it. The more you understand the process, the more knowledgeable you will be. Pay particular attention to how your income will be calculated. Plus, the agents often make mistakes. It will be on you to spot them.

When you go for your eligibility appointment, dress nicely. Be friendly in a professional way. Don't be too chatty. Answer all questions clearly but don't volunteer any information not asked for. I mention this because when I'm nervous, I start talking, and sometimes I say things I shouldn't. Don't be like me.

Back in 2015, a close friend of mine was called for an apartment. She wasn't going to go for the appointment because her log number was 12,000, and she didn't see how people with numbers lower than that wouldn't get the apartments first. I convinced her to follow through, and she ended up getting a very nice apartment that she could afford. We didn't know about this site, we didn't know about community preference, we didn't know anything! It was pure luck that she stumbled through the process successfully.

Best of luck!
Thank you for the reply and helpful tips! I will be sure to check all of that out. Also, you touched on a good point. I am worried that they will not calculate my income correctly. I receive gift money as part of my income. I have a signed and notarized affidavit from the giver. I am worried they will not, for one reason or another, know to add this into my total income calculation. Without it I don't make enough. but with it I fall in the perfect range for a one bedroom/ studio. They have to count my gift income as it was an option on my form of documents to submit. Should I mention this in the interview? Or hope they will just know to do this?

Thank you for your input and all of your tips, I really do appreciate it.

- Mike

Old 03-03-2019, 07:25 PM

Thanks everyone for the input!

Old 03-03-2019, 07:34 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,727,396 times
There was a thread going over this just a couple of weeks ago. People *could* try searching...

(Or exercising their noggins a little. You think they're interviewing people 60,000 into the list just in case?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: