Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 01:32 PM

106,807 posts, read 109,039,935 times

Advertisements

it took us 8 months to evict ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 01:46 PM

700 posts, read 423,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Yes. You live where you can afford until you can improve your income or find a job with a shorter commute close to a more affordable apartment. I don't see why any individual home owner should be forced to subsidize the lifestyle/rent of any grown adult. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY HAVE THE NERVE TO BE DATING/LIVING WITH A SIGNIFICANT OTHER OR HAVING GROWN ASS ADULTS IN THE APARTMENT. Pool your resources and buy a house. This way you can dictate what your housing cost is.

I say that as someone who had a two hour commute for my first apartment. That is what I could afford. I improved my income, obtained a job closer to where I live and purchased as soon as I could.

My paycheck went to Rent, savings, food and metro card to commute to work. I brought lunch to work everyday and did odds and ends part time jobs to save for any extras/my first house.
You obviously did not read the end of my comment. This is why issues cannot be resolved!

You managed to post nothing but rants even though a 42K can barely get you anything in the five boroughs while having to obey the laws of the city that clearly state you must live within city limits if working for the local government.

Luckily I lived with my parents. My co workers on the other hand were not lucky. Plus growth in the public sector is very slow so even if they work super hard their pay raises are scheduled.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i don't think anyone has a right to live where they cannot afford to .. landlords have the same right to earn market wages as you do .... these people you speak of can still live here , but if their income falls short they may have to live golden girl style.. no one is guaranteed the right to live alone if they can't afford it.

you want more low income housing , go after your politicians to get it .. it is not a landlords responsibility to support them or earn less then anyone else who works for a living with uncapped wages .

we hope to sell our 2 remaining rent stabilized co-ops to an investor group for .20 cents on the dollar to an investor group . this is what stabilization has done to the value of real estate . if we don't get it we will likely just walk away and let the building have them in foreclosure . we will not pay out of pocket to support the tenants in those apartments when rents turn fully negative .. they are break even at the moment .
Lol wtf?

If you work for the local government you have no choice but to live where you work. I forgot people like you are out of touch with reality and do not know much. Plus if people do not have a right to live where they can’t afford then I better not see you at any regular restaurant or retail store in the city.

I hope you’re driving a lambo and only shopping at Hermès and eating at Michelin star restaurants.

As far as I’m concerned people who work for the public sector of any city should be granted the right to live in the city which they are working for. It makes no sense that any city job will demand that you live in NYC and then turn around and tell you your starting pay is 40K.

I’ve had many co workers at the DOT who wanted to move to Jersey but were prohibited from doing so.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosun View Post
Do you think it's ok to force landlords to subsidize a tenant's cable bill, college tuition, and other expenses?
I think it’s ok that people who participate in the economy of NYC should be granted a place to live. There should be no reason why someone working 40-50 hours a week is living at a shelter.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
No one NEEDS to live in NYC. There's a great big country (and world) out there that is mostly a lot cheaper to live in than NYC. Anyone who has trouble living on what they make in NYC should look elsewhere.

And, on the flip side, if employers want employees, they should need to pay what it costs to live here. The employees who struggle to live here on unlivable wages are doing themselves, and other low wage employees a disservice by not moving. If employers couldn't get employees without paying a livable wage, they'd pay it.
This sound silly. So who will take over the low wage jobs that’s dominate the streets of NYC? So according to you all the workers who work at the J Crew store I shop at should leave? And leave to a place outside of NYC where the job market is most likely scarce?

Old 06-18-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLoveFashion View Post
Lol wtf?

If you work for the local government you have no choice but to live where you work. I forgot people like you are out of touch with reality and do not know much. Plus if people do not have a right to live where they can’t afford then I better not see you at any regular restaurant or retail store in the city.

I hope you’re driving a lambo and only shopping at Hermès and eating at Michelin star restaurants.

As far as I’m concerned people who work for the public sector of any city should be granted the right to live in the city which they are working for. It makes no sense that any city job will demand that you live in NYC and then turn around and tell you your starting pay is 40K.

I’ve had many co workers at the DOT who wanted to move to Jersey but were prohibited from doing so.
Nonsense ..just because you have to live in the city and can’t afford your own apartment does not mean you can’t cost share or have roommates ...you may have to live in a poorer part of the city too ....it is what it is unless you can get an affordable housing deal or low income project .

As a landlord it is not my job to subsidize them ..that is what the city and state are for if they want to do it

Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
This sound silly. So who will take over the low wage jobs that’s dominate the streets of NYC? So according to you all the workers who work at the J Crew store I shop at should leave? And leave to a place outside of NYC where the job market is most likely scarce?
Obviously these employees are living somewhere .....

Old 06-18-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I think it’s ok that people who participate in the economy of NYC should be granted a place to live. There should be no reason why someone working 40-50 hours a week is living at a shelter.
I think so to but it’s not my job to personally support them ...my taxes already go for that purpose... that is the job of the city and state not me..start a movement for them to put up more lower income housing if you feel that way ...... perhaps they should take another 20% of your income to build those projects besides your taxes .. oh but only from what you do for a living , no one else ,since you see nothing wrong taking the money out of the pockets of those who are in real estate as a livelihood

Old 06-18-2019, 02:17 PM

105 posts, read 90,875 times
Quote:
The question is whether you believe it's correct to place the burden of providing these benefits on private citizens.

Old 06-18-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosun View Post
The question is whether you believe it's correct to place the burden of providing these benefits on private citizens.
Not only private citizens but singling out just those that decided to feed their families via real estate and rentals..

It is one thing to enter the real estate world knowing the rules ,, but to suddenly switch the game after the fact is awful ...if the city and state want those rules let them apply it to what they own not others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery