Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2022, 02:14 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Passing on this one, even though the building is nice. I don't like the area...
same.. eww.. wtf? they wanna live in Chelsea so bad they they're willing to be inconvenienced?
aah-aaaah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
Unless you’re extremely lazy, it’s not far from public transportation. Let’s stop exaggerating. You can walk to the A/C/E and 7-Hudson Square lines
you're being delusional. the ACE trains are far from the building. this sh** is between 11th and 12th avenues, and the A is on 8th. 5 blocks up, and 4 over, and those crosstown blocks are looooooong af.. again. no fu**in ma'am.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
5 minute walk to the brand new Hudson Yards 7 station. Easy.
nope. you walk it. f thaaaat.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:28 PM

828 posts, read 768,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
nope. you walk it. f thaaaat.
k

Old 06-09-2022, 04:52 PM

12 posts, read 18,523 times
Hi guys ,new to the whole system in regards to preferences. I live in the area .. community board 4 , however not sure if that means anything. Do i have a good chance of being selected?

Old 06-09-2022, 05:42 PM

2,011 posts, read 1,631,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayPaige View Post
Hi guys ,new to the whole system in regards to preferences. I live in the area .. community board 4 , however not sure if that means anything. Do i have a good chance of being selected?
This is explained on the various web pages and handbook. And before going any further I must say not all lotteries use this type of preference but this one seems to.

Entering lotteries where you have CB preference is good because it’s an advantage.

Yes, in this case there is 50% preference for residents of CB4. Half the units are set aside.

However, this is still subject to family size and income guidelines. If there are ten people in your household you will not win this lottery because the apts are not big enough. If you are lone person household and make a million dollars a year you will not win this lottery because your income is too high for this lottery. In these examples CB preference won’t help you a bit.

If you enter the lottery even with your CB residency your chance of being selected still depends on having a lower log# than other CB residents who want the same type unit you do.

It’s gets hard to think about because there is a single set of log#s across all units. For example, I have CB preference and log# 9 and I only qualify for a 2 bedroom unit. You have CB preference and log# 19 but only qualify for a studio or one bedroom unit. It doesn’t matter that my log # is lower than yours because you and I are aiming at different targets.

Sometimes, a very high log# with CB preference prevails because that’s how the luck was. Maybe the lowest log# with CB preference was 10,000. Well, log# 10000 with CB preference cuts ahead of thousands of lower log# without CB preference. ( But, we would expect a more typical distribution of log# by chance)

Remember, CB preference ends at 50%. You might have CB preference and a low log# but if you end up being the 51% the CB preference doesn’t count anymore, your low log# is just a regular low log# it might be low enough or there could be many lower log#s that get units and you don’t.

You know you are getting a unit for sure when you get a lease. There can be much hurry-up-and-wait, and invasive paperwork involved.

Good luck and good patience.

Old 06-09-2022, 05:51 PM

644 posts, read 734,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
This is explained on the various web pages and handbook. And before going any further I must say not all lotteries use this type of preference but this one seems to.

Entering lotteries where you have CB preference is good because it’s an advantage.

Yes, in this case there is 50% preference for residents of CB4. Half the units are set aside.

However, this is still subject to family size and income guidelines. If there are ten people in your household you will not win this lottery because the apts are not big enough. If you are lone person household and make a million dollars a year you will not win this lottery because your income is too high for this lottery. In these examples CB preference won’t help you a bit.

If you enter the lottery even with your CB residency your chance of being selected still depends on having a lower log# than other CB residents who want the same type unit you do.

It’s gets hard to think about because there is a single set of log#s across all units. For example, I have CB preference and log# 9 and I only qualify for a 2 bedroom unit. You have CB preference and log# 19 but only qualify for a studio or one bedroom unit. It doesn’t matter that my log # is lower than yours because you and I are aiming at different targets.

Sometimes, a very high log# with CB preference prevails because that’s how the luck was. Maybe the lowest log# with CB preference was 10,000. Well, log# 10000 with CB preference cuts ahead of thousands of lower log# without CB preference. ( But, we would expect a more typical distribution of log# by chance)

Remember, CB preference ends at 50%. You might have CB preference and a low log# but if you end up being the 51% the CB preference doesn’t count anymore, your low log# is just a regular low log# it might be low enough or there could be many lower log#s that get units and you don’t.

You know you are getting a unit for sure when you get a lease. There can be much hurry-up-and-wait, and invasive paperwork involved.

Good luck and good patience.

So someone from that community board Cannot be reached out with the regular population if the CB preference has been met?

Old 06-09-2022, 06:18 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,727,396 times
You guys are not thinking about the ”new” 7 stop. It's three blocks! It'll be more stressful to walk by the ugly Hudson Yards buildings than to walk that distance.

GdoIsh, CB members can also be chosen once the preference is exhausted--they just won't get any preference over non-CB members at that point.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:38 PM

122 posts, read 118,798 times
It’s a short walk, but if it’s too far? Don’t apply lol

Old 06-09-2022, 06:56 PM

828 posts, read 768,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin2021 View Post
It’s a short walk, but if it’s too far? Don’t apply lol
Seriously. I'm guessing 75,000 will apply for these "terrible" units. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery