Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 11:19 AM

954 posts, read 933,096 times

Advertisements

Lottery Application opened on July 20th, 2022
Applied on August 18th, 2022
Lottery Application closed on September 19th, 2022
Log Numbers were out on October 20th, 2022
Received the notification to submit documents via text & email on November 1st, 2022
Submitted the first round of documents on November 8th, 2022
Received the notice to submit the second round of documents on November 8th, 2022 (that same day)
Submitted the second round of documents between November 11th through November 14th, 2022
File was submitted to HDC on November 14th, 2022
Received an email that HDC approved my file on November 18th, 2022
Went to view the unit on November 21st, 2022
Signed the lease and paid first months rent and security deposit on November 22nd, 2022
Picked up keys on November 28th, 2022
Move in date is December 1st, 2022

So my timeline was pretty swift and fast.

But here’s why I wouldn’t apply to any more lotteries. I’m not here to discourage anyone from applying, go ahead and do what will bring you happiness and stability.

1. The apartments in these lottery units are too small for the average person or average family.
The apartment in the building I’m moving into have the same size for lottery apartments and market rate apartments. If you’re unable to view the unit you’re interested in before you move in, you have to hold off on buying furniture. While I did accept the apartment and will move in, I can’t fit all of my bedroom furniture in the bedroom, there’s only one entire closet in the unit and I don’t think I can fit a dining table in the unit either, so I’ll have to use bar stools for the counter. I think people who win these units are getting a way better deal than people who spend hundreds or thousands more renting them on the market. They are absolutely in my opinion not worth the market rate rent. This is not just for the building I’m moving into but the other luxury buildings that participate in the housing connect program that allocate a portion of units for affordable housing.

2. There should be more transparency about how the units are allocated and what percentage of each AMI is allocated between the different preferences.
The lowest AMI apartments should not just go to those who only have preferences. For example, if 50% AMI has 64 affordable units, fifty percent should be allocated for preferences and the other thirty two units should be set aside for general population. All sixty four units should not go to those with preferences, it’s simply unfair.

3. The majority of the new developments are simply unaffordable.
The rents are encroaching on luxury prices for rent and at the point, it makes no sense to go through the anxiety ridden process of hoping you get a low log number, have a preferences and meet every qualification to win a unit. Then there’s a chance of you going through a recertification process which I’m sure many people will not want to do. All you have to do is look at the median income for the neighborhood a specific development is in for you to know that the rents they are asking eats up at least 40 to 50% of your take home income after expenses and obligations. Do not lock yourself into something you can’t afford even if they push you into a higher AMI. I know someone who had to break a lease on their lottery unit because her lease was almost up, and the rent was unaffordable but she took it. When it came time to discuss renewal, her rent went up $125 more . So she had to move unfortunately, it became too much for her.

4. Leaving opportunities for other applicants to win a unit.
I am of the opinion that unless something is terribly wrong with your unit, that once you win a unit there is not much need to apply for every other lottery development to “see what your log number will be.” Let’s face it competition is fierce and thousands of people are vying for these apartments that takes years for people to win. Some have better luck than others. I see several people on here who seem to move like nomads, which is expensive and downright pointless. I’m saying the ones who move every year or apply to every lottery in an effort to move every year. Leave the chance for someone else if you’ve already won, it doesn’t take from you. I don’t see the point in applying just to see what the numbers are. It’s a waste of time. Enjoy what you have especially if you have no plans to move.

5. It’s not a forever home and in the future and I’ll probably end up moving in the future.
This ties back to my first point, these units tend to be on the smaller size so no don’t go thinking your apartment will be the size of a pre-war apartment, I guarantee 95% of the time it will not be that size and will be smaller. Certain lifestyle changes occur such as pregnancy, death, illness, relocation, marriage, new job offer etc. These programs (please read your lease in its entirety) only lasts for at most 30 years on average. That’s as long as they are participating in the 421-A program where they get tax breaks. After that, it becomes the price on the market. So this is for those to keep in mind. Ask questions and if you want to move, most will allow you with a notice in advance.

All that said, good luck to your journey for affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 12:13 PM

166 posts, read 174,490 times
Love this and definitely agree with a lot of points made ! Some people do experience the joy of a fast timeline but moving with a family or having a management company that reaches out prematurely can turn a simple process into a lengthy one but congrats to you again !!

Old 11-29-2022, 12:18 PM

390 posts, read 350,421 times
Well put. I agree this lottery apartments are very small. I live in a prewar building and have yet to see a lottery building with bedrooms the same size as mine, 12 x 12. If my building had 2 bedrooms available, I would jump for the opportunity, especially since these lottery buildings are over x2 the amount I pay now. Where I'm at I don't pay heat, electric, gas, or none of that, just rent. I would stay where I am, get a 2 bedroom and work on getting a house.

Congratulations on your apartment!

Old 11-29-2022, 12:42 PM

9 posts, read 8,468 times
I appreciate you taking the time to share this because as someone who has been also applying and hoping for the best it is truly a discouraging process. Housing connect also doesn't make it easy when they aren't transparent with timelines, choosing tenants, etc. In addition, AMIs for particular neighborhoods have also been impractical. Finding affordable housing in NYC shouldn't be this hard!!! Congrats nonetheless on your apartment!!!

Old 11-29-2022, 12:58 PM

394 posts, read 371,218 times
Totally agreed. Congrats on getting a new place!!

I really wish things could be more transparent. Also, I’ve seen people (some, not all the time) who won lottery apt within a year still won another apt. I understand it’s lottery it’s all about luck if you win but it would be really nice to let other people get higher chances to win or at least get a chance to get lower log by not applying it for a year or two. We are all in need for affordable homes.

Old 11-29-2022, 01:27 PM

151 posts, read 196,081 times
I agree with you 100%! I want to speak specifically on the size of the units. They are terribly getting smaller! I won my lottery apartment 6 years ago, and my bedroom can fit my queen bed, two night stands and my 60’ work desk against one wall! Not to mention i have my own bathroom. I am currently applying because I need more rooms, as my family grew since 6 years ago, but when I see these floor plans, I am just turned off! These “master bedrooms” now, can barely fit a queen bed..let alone anything else! Yet the prices are ridiculously high….

Congratulations on your new place!

Old 11-29-2022, 01:44 PM

883 posts, read 1,370,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlk23 View Post
I agree with you 100%! I want to speak specifically on the size of the units. They are terribly getting smaller! I won my lottery apartment 6 years ago, and my bedroom can fit my queen bed, two night stands and my 60’ work desk against one wall! Not to mention i have my own bathroom. I am currently applying because I need more rooms, as my family grew since 6 years ago, but when I see these floor plans, I am just turned off! These “master bedrooms” now, can barely fit a queen bed..let alone anything else! Yet the prices are ridiculously high….

Yes, it's sad! They're making the apartments smaller so that they can squeeze more apartments in one building and charge the same high rent for these micro-units. I wish I could move out of state, you get more bang for your buck in terms of dwelling space outside of NYC!

Old 11-29-2022, 04:31 PM

85 posts, read 79,858 times
Congratulations to you!! May everyone else have similar luck!!

Old 11-29-2022, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
Yes, it's sad! They're making the apartments smaller so that they can squeeze more apartments in one building and charge the same high rent for these micro-units. I wish I could move out of state, you get more bang for your buck in terms of dwelling space outside of NYC!
Yep and I do not think they are worth the excessive rents they are charging.

Old 11-29-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlk23 View Post

Yes I have a full queen bedroom set and bought a chest separately a few years ago and they micro bedrooms do not fit everything. They have the nerve to charge people thousands, those people are being scammed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery