Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2023, 01:35 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,208,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly_girl1 View Post
Hey y’all! So maybe I’m alone! But I had my sights on particular Affordable Housing buildings throughout the years! And never got selected. This time around, I had faith… I just knew I was going to get a low log # and/or CB preference! But no luck! Now, I’m stuck with smallest studio apartment ever and it’s at the top of my budget. I accepted it, because prices are going up, so I had to suck it up!

How do you deal with the disappointment?

Don’t despair, be glad.
You may not know it yet.

What if that place goes in smoke and you could have lost all you own?

Or you could have ended up in the vicinity of a serial killer and become his victim?

God works in mysterious ways and the place you got - that is where you meant to be…

There is always a silver lining.

Like I said - you just don’t know it now what disaster was just averted and what good would come your way in this place..

Make it look nice and enjoy!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 01:37 PM

586 posts, read 587,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affordablekeisha View Post
What???? this is a housing lottery forum and people are applying for affordable units. Not everyone can afford a market rate unit .
The market rate for a studio that I live in is 3650 a month im only paying 1900 a month for it thru the lottery...people don't understand how expensive is market rate rent is in nyc now a days

Old 09-10-2023, 06:39 PM

584 posts, read 309,830 times
Take charge of your life there are a lot of cities with affordable homes and good jobs.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:10 PM

81 posts, read 57,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly_girl1 View Post
Hey y’all! So maybe I’m alone! But I had my sights on particular Affordable Housing buildings throughout the years! And never got selected. This time around, I had faith… I just knew I was going to get a low log # and/or CB preference! But no luck! Now, I’m stuck with smallest studio apartment ever and it’s at the top of my budget. I accepted it, because prices are going up, so I had to suck it up!

How do you deal with the disappointment?
I don't know what's the point of this. I understand how disappointing it can be not to win your preferred building in the housing lottery, but it's crucial to remember the positives. You did win an apartment, which is a significant achievement. Many people are homeless, and having a place to call home is something to be grateful for. It's essential to avoid excessive greed and disappointment because they can lead to unhappiness. Housing lotteries are unpredictable, and winning is never guaranteed. I've faced similar situations and have learned that staying positive, patient can make a big difference. Remember, luck plays a significant role in lotteries, so keep trying if you get the chance again. I wish you the best in your current situation and any future endeavors.

Old 09-10-2023, 09:51 PM

200 posts, read 220,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthenancy View Post
I don't know what's the point of this. I understand how disappointing it can be not to win your preferred building in the housing lottery, but it's crucial to remember the positives. You did win an apartment, which is a significant achievement. Many people are homeless, and having a place to call home is something to be grateful for. It's essential to avoid excessive greed and disappointment because they can lead to unhappiness. Housing lotteries are unpredictable, and winning is never guaranteed. I've faced similar situations and have learned that staying positive, patient can make a big difference. Remember, luck plays a significant role in lotteries, so keep trying if you get the chance again. I wish you the best in your current situation and any future endeavors.
tbh: her only hope is another lockdown fakery (favoring the "polite" spelling). People were leaving Manhattan in droves, and there was little interest 2020-2021. We were getting 2 months free even on top of deeply underpriced leases

Old 09-10-2023, 10:39 PM

117 posts, read 75,881 times
Thank you all!!!!!!!!!

Sometimes it’s nerve racking to be vulnerable and voice your opinion/thoughts!

Sorry to the people I offended or upset by sharing.

Take care.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:37 AM

5,711 posts, read 2,629,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affordablekeisha View Post
What???? this is a housing lottery forum and people are applying for affordable units. Not everyone can afford a market rate unit .
That's my point! You got this whole fantasy of this apartment and you're sad that you don't have it. So then go make changes in life so you can get it at market rate. Many of us just want affordable apartment so we aren't dreaming of some fantasy perfect apartment.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:56 AM

30 posts, read 30,892 times
Why are the comments such a cess pool?
I think it’s important to remind yourself that it’s a lottery & by design only a handful will get picked out of thousands of applications. If the lower that market rent pricing and potentially(?) rent stabilization aren’t good enough driving forces for you at your new place, then take note of those amenities and features that you liked of the dream place and apply to new lotteries with those specific intentions. Don’t humor the ones you know you won’t like long term and find a new dream apartment. x

Old 09-11-2023, 09:16 AM

182 posts, read 125,421 times
ignore all these shady comments, i have dealt with this and it's sad cos you submit and go all the way far , see the unit , get assigned a unit, tour the building and then get wait listed or told the unit went to someone else... it's alot to decompress when your so excited to get out of a bad area or unhealthy living situation, keep applying and stay hopeful.

ps coming from a voucher holder who gets denied every other month!

Old 09-11-2023, 11:15 AM

117 posts, read 75,881 times
Will be leaving city-data. Good luck to everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery