Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:20 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times

Advertisements

It really depends on where in LIC you're talking about.

A lot of the LIC listings are right in Hunters Point near Vernon Blvd. There are a bunch of newer high-rise buildings there and that area is, for the most part, safe. It also has more places to eat, go out, etc. than some other parts of LIC, although nothing like Manhattan. I lived there for 2 years with no problems of any kind. A few blocks away it was industrial and not terribly attractive (although I find the industrial attractive in its own way, it's not Park Slope). LIC is also somewhat desolate at night away from the Vernon-Jackson area.

The new buildings are expensive but there are some more affordable apts in the older buildings on the neighboring blocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 03:49 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,062,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post

A lot of the LIC listings are right in Hunters Point near Vernon Blvd. There are a bunch of newer high-rise buildings there and that area is, for the most part, safe. It also has more places to eat, go out, etc. than some other parts of LIC, although nothing like Manhattan. I lived there for 2 years with no problems of any kind. A few blocks away it was industrial and not terribly attractive (although I find the industrial attractive in its own way, it's not Park Slope). LIC is also somewhat desolate at night away from the Vernon-Jackson area.

The new buildings are expensive but there are some more affordable apts in the older buildings on the neighboring blocks.
"Luxury buildings"....isn't that what they are only building these days over there? pushing out the working class in favor of the rich yuppies seems to be their modus operandi.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantastic10 View Post
"Luxury buildings"....isn't that what they are only building these days over there? pushing out the working class in favor of the rich yuppies seems to be their modus operandi.
Yeah. I was there last night and the number of luxury bldgs under construction is mind boggling. If you can afford it, I think it's going to be a great neighborhood. For affordability you need to be north of the Queensborough Bridge.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:38 PM

127 posts, read 507,256 times
its definitely on the upswing but it has a blighted past and its not as safe as other parts of new york

Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,354,372 times
Default LIC New Development & Crime Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainanomar View Post
its definitely on the upswing but it has a blighted past and its not as safe as other parts of new york
It's dark and isolated in places but crime is relatively low. I've provided a comparison with Park Slope.

108th Pct (LIC) - YTD 2010
Murder 2
Rape 8
Robbery 73
Fel. Assault 59
Burglary 108
Gr. Larceny 194
G.L.A. 107
TOTAL = 551

78th Pct (Park Slope) - YTD 2010
Murder 0
Rape 4
Robbery 59
Fel. Assault 16
Burglary 79
Gr. Larceny 174
G.L.A. 37
TOTAL = 369

Also, From today's New York Daily News
Grunge era over for Queens Plaza as area gets facelift, new businesses emerge and condos are built

Old 06-26-2010, 10:24 AM

142 posts, read 505,223 times
I looked on craigslist for apartments in the Vernon Jackson and area and boy, was I shocked at the prices. Many of them are more than I'm paying for my place in the city. I guess it's because it's just one stop out.

Old 06-26-2010, 03:08 PM

244 posts, read 664,775 times
Long Island City = The Arm Pit of New York

Old 09-10-2010, 10:56 AM

520 posts, read 844,382 times
I wanted to start a new thread about LIC, but chose to continue this one instead. I visited the Gantry Park a few times and fell in love with the area. They have expanded the park and there are other developments happening in that region, so it's seems like it's improving and evolving. My husband and I really like the area and were thinking if would prefer to move to Astoria or LIC in the near future.

I don't know that much about LIC, and was wondering if anyone lives there or knows the area well to offer some information. The only downside, it seems to me, is that it's near the 7 train which I am not really a fan of, it's very inconsistent in my opinion. What are the rents like, people, schools, living environment and personal experieces? What are the advantages of LIC over Astoria. I saw a lot of young professionals there with young children, and a diverse group of residents. I wasn't sure if they were just visiting the park or if they live there. I personally find LIC near the waterfront/vernon blvd. to be more appealing than Astoria, perhaps I haven't visited the prettier parts of Astoria, but from what I've seen and visited LIC beats Astoria in the department of aesthetics. Also the new skyrise buildings are gorgeous, with new ameneties, fitness centers, balconies and swimming pools.

Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated. We are a young couple without children, hoping to start a family in the nearest future. We are also considering Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn, so we are doing some comparisons. Which area is better and why, in your opinion?

Old 09-10-2010, 12:13 PM

20 posts, read 108,798 times
just warning you, there arent as many white or good people over there as you think. a male friend of mine said he was almost raped by a pack of "@#$#*&". he said near the roject over there they ran up on him from behind pulled out guns. he thought they wanted his wallet, but he ws not in store for what was next. they demanded he pull his pants down and turn around as two of the three gunmen began to unbuckle their belts and adjust heir zippers he said he thought his personal virginity was about to be lost. he said he begged for mercy, but none was granted. then he said he then made a dash for it to whatever train has a 21st street stop while one fired 2 shots at him. not good and he is a 6 foot tall man.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:33 PM

988 posts, read 3,255,638 times
Over by the water is pretty safe, what above is referring to is next to the Queensbridge projects. The attempted rape prison story sounds made-up, but muggings over there are common. Those are pretty far away from the waterfront though. Both LIC and Astoria are huge which Astoria is technically in Long Island City. Most people associate LIC as the gritty part next to the 59th street bridge.

To compare, LIC by the water(Hunter's Point) is very expensive, Astoria is a lot cheaper.
Astoria has more character because it's an established community. LIC(Hunter's Point) is more sterile since a lot of it is composed of fairly new high-rises though more restaurants and bars are opening up. The 7 actually has improved, its a quick 5 min ride to Grand Central station. Astoria has tons of more restaurants and bars but is a little further away from the city. LIC residents lives generally is revolved around Manhattan, you can stay in Astoria to have a good time. A new elementary school is opening by the waterfront soon. The housing stock is newer and there is more available parking.

My wife and I are moving to Astoria next month but love LIC(Hunter's Point). However, its too expensive for what we want. It's definitely up and coming but 2 BD condos rent for $3,000+ and sell for $600K +. You may be able to find a deal for an older building though.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City