Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 03:22 PM

151 posts, read 300,874 times

Advertisements

I love the new and improved New York!!

Quote:
Figures show that the average sales price of a Manhattan apartment was $1.43 million in the second quarter of 2010, up 9.1% from a year ago, and up 0.4% from the first quarter.
Quote:
The biggest median price increase was for apartments with at least four bedrooms, which rose almost 19% to $4.65 million.
New York is much better as a luxury product. LOL.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/01/real...n_home_prices/

Last edited by Yankee.; 07-05-2010 at 03:38 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 04:47 PM

56 posts, read 415,109 times
not that i want them to, but why didnt the yuppies hit the bronx yet?

Old 07-05-2010, 07:29 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTA6TRAIN View Post
not that i want them to, but why didnt the yuppies hit the bronx yet?

I want yuppies to hit the Bronx but unfortunately for the Bronx, it is overwhelmly low income and overwhelmly NON-WHITE. What I mean is that the vast majority of the Bronx population are either black or latino and on welfare, section 8, HASA, work advantage, or some other type of public program. And as we all know, people on programs tend to be on the GHETTO side. Sad but true. That in itself is a deterant. The vibe the general public has of the Bronx is not a desirable one. The 1970´s Bronx stigma still exist today in outsider´s minds even though it is no longer like that.

Despite my desire for the Bronx to GENTRIFY in order to improve safety, quality of life and infastructure, the simple fact that the majority of Bronx residents are of the ¨ghetto¨type on some form of public assitance will always be the determining factor if Yuppies migrate to the Bronx or not. I´m sure it would feel pretty uncomfortable for a white person to move to the Bronx and be surrounded by blacks and latinos while you´re the only blonde hair, blue eye person in the neighborhood. Must be an ackward feeling don´t you think?

Old 07-05-2010, 07:34 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
I want yuppies to hit the Bronx but unfortunately for the Bronx, it is overwhelmly low income and overwhelmly NON-WHITE. What I mean is that the vast majority of the Bronx population are either black or latino and on welfare, section 8, HASA, work advantage, or some other type of public program. And as we all know, people on programs tend to be on the GHETTO side. Sad but true. That in itself is a deterant. The vibe the general public has of the Bronx is not a desirable one. The 1970´s Bronx stigma still exist today in outsider´s minds even though it is no longer like that.

Despite my desire for the Bronx to GENTRIFY in order to improve safety, quality of life and infastructure, the simple fact that the majority of Bronx residents are of the ¨ghetto¨type on some form of public assitance will always be the determining factor if Yuppies migrate to the Bronx or not. I´m sure it would feel pretty uncomfortable for a white person to move to the Bronx and be surrounded by blacks and latinos while you´re the only blonde hair, blue eye person in the neighborhood. Must be an ackward feeling don´t you think?
I dont think so Victor, I saw a ghetto white couple come out of mcdonalds on Brook Avenue and the mother slapped her son, mind you ghetto white couple, they were just as welcomed as the black and latino folk.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:39 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
The Bronx is gentrfiying but at a slow pace thanks to the great recession, not only its gentrfiying but there is also subsequent decaying of the south Bronx but also other parts of the city that is gentrified like Astoria and Bushwick many homes are being borded up and will become drug nests once again. The only place for the yuppies in the South Bronx will most likely be around the Yankee Stadium and Grand Concourse area which will put them on a collision course against the Dominicans who many of them just recently moved out of Washington Hieghts

Old 07-05-2010, 07:40 PM

461 posts, read 2,000,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I dont think so Victor, I saw a ghetto white couple come out of mcdonalds on Brook Avenue and the mother slapped her son, mind you ghetto white couple, they were just as welcomed as the black and latino folk.
Yes they may be white but the key word is that they are ghetto. Those white people you saw are probably native Bronxites and are a product of the environment. Ghetto white people do exist I´m not saying that they don´t but the vast majority of the ghetto people in the Bronx are black and latino (dominicans and puerto ricans).

Old 07-05-2010, 07:52 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,590,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Last time I checked, chain stores provide honest goods and services otherwise they wouldn´t exist. As far as stores keeping the lowlives out...it appears to be one of the few choices out there that I can think of off the top. Barnes and Noble comes to mind as well. Thugs stay away from books or any reading material unless it´s XXL or King magazine. LOL
You missed my point. I said LOCAL people (i.e., not chains)

Old 07-05-2010, 08:10 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Herman View Post
Me and my brother were talking about this type stuff earlier today. I brought up that I hardly see kids playing pickup sports anymore, especially now that is school is out, when I was that age we played night and day. He blamed it on technology too, kids rather sit in front of the computer or playstation then go out and play. I think the same goes for us older cats to an extent too, when were on train for example we text or listen to the IPOD instead of interacting with other humans. It's like when I was in college a few years ago, when class would end instead of students talking to each other, everyone was on their phone checking messages or talking to who knows.
I agree, the rapid growth of technology (for entertainment purposes) has had a definite impact in the decline of the "old-school, close-knit" community feeling in NYC. Why talk to your neighbors when you can be entertained by technology?

Young Herman, when you were talking about your college days, that hit too close to home! As an IT major, I feel that the lack of social communication with others will eventually lead to a sense of decline in humanity.

If people want that old, reminiscent feeling of NYC back, we have to start at the individual level. This may mean putting down the phone and just saying "hi" to a friendly stranger! People get too caught up wanting to be alone and not bothered by others, and that's just the beginning.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,881,339 times
What if a particular white 'hipster' is a descendent of people who grew up in a white ethnic (Italian, Irish, etc.) NYC neighborhood? Or even one in another US city? Do you not want her/him, if (s)he doesn't speak in an dialect associated with her/his forebears' ethnicity, or eat those foods, or wear those clothes? Or what if (s)he is the descendent of people who settled in an "ethnic white" rural area within the US (in the Northeast or elsewhere)? No good? The fact is, there simply *aren't* many "ethnic white" enclaves left anywhere in the US. And I guess the question I really want to ask is - who are you? I almost hear a sort of "entertain me by being "authentic," 'authentic' New Yorkers" request from someone on the sidelines who sees her/himself (obviously totally subconsciously, and incorrectly[!!!]) transcending all of it.

If you say you are ethnically Caucasian, and yet weren't born in a 'white ethnic' NYC neighborhood, doesn't that make you something of a human Starbucks beverage?

Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 PM

127 posts, read 507,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia Bradley View Post
What if a particular white 'hipster' is a descendent of people who grew up in a white ethnic (Italian, Irish, etc.) NYC neighborhood? Or even one in another US city? Do you not want her/him, if (s)he doesn't speak in an dialect associated with her/his forebears' ethnicity, or eat those foods, or wear those clothes? Or what if (s)he is the descendent of people who settled in an "ethnic white" rural area within the US (in the Northeast or elsewhere)? No good? The fact is, there simply *aren't* many "ethnic white" enclaves left anywhere in the US. And I guess the question I really want to ask is - who are you? I almost hear a sort of "entertain me by being "authentic," 'authentic' New Yorkers" request from someone on the sidelines who sees her/himself (obviously totally subconsciously, and incorrectly[!!!]) transcending all of it.

If you say you are ethnically Caucasian, and yet weren't born in a 'white ethnic' NYC neighborhood, doesn't that make you something of a human Starbucks beverage?

If anyone moves to a neighborhood and gentrifies it they are not welcome in my book.
gentrification does more bad then good in the long-term.
when no one buys or if they run out of money it usually becomes a drug den.
neighborhoods like astoria,bushwick,long island city,etc will suffer alot from this. many of these houses were drug dens to begin with.
Once the area is no longer "trendy" everyone will stop buying and those luxury condos will be abandoned or foreclosed on. The neighborhoods will be left worse than before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City