Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,302 times

Advertisements

Hello There! I hope somebody can guide me a bit regarding this opportunity

I received an offer from a Top Tier bank in NYC. They are offering $ 95.000 plus bonus plus benefits .

I have already been working for 3 years after completing my master's degree in Engineering. I'm currently making $ 60.000 a year but I'm living in South Florida now (Broward County). My current company is offering me a transfer to London on a more challenging position (I'm a dual US / EU citizen) but is offering £ 40.000 and a 2 year commitment.

Now comes by question.

Is the NY offer good enough money for a decent living there? (I'm 28 years old, I'm not married, no pets, no kids, I'm not a party type of person just enjoy quiet nights and home and weekend gateways) or should I consider the London one?

Again, thanks for any advice/comment you can provide.

Cheers.

P.S. BTW, my family lives in South Florida so that's a point I also have to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
You would have a much better standard of living in NYC than London. Your offers in US Dollars are approx $60k in London and $95k in NYC. London has a significantly higher cost of living than NYC.

$95k in NYC is great for a single 20-something! You can spend a little more than $2,000 a month on rent, which will get you a decent-sized studio in most Manhattan neighborhoods or a 1-2 bedroom apartment in the other boroughs.

You'll make enough to save & live well, plus have money to set aside for travel or whatever else you like to do. Plus, if you're working for a bank, you'll be working really long hours and not have a lot of time to spend cash like crazy during the week.

I always say $75k is the "magic number" to live in Manhattan without a roomate. You're already doing better than that (before bonus).

Old 07-21-2010, 03:53 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
I think you would be good to move to NYC. Especially if you aren't a big partier. Thats what most young people spend their money on.

I think $90k is a good salary to live alone or even live with someone and have a nice big apartment.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM

244 posts, read 567,880 times
I love them both, but I would go with New York.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 AM

99 posts, read 349,852 times
You'd definitely be fine living in London on £40.000, living in Zone 2 or further out. Groceries and cell phone plans are cheaper there than in NYC. However, NYC is more exciting and with $95K, you'd be able to get a nice place. Obviously, you'd be closer to your family too!

Old 07-22-2010, 01:37 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,786 times
I agree with the pro NY crowd. Lower cost of living plus better money. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:23 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,752 times
Are you getting an ex-pat package? 40,000 GBP won't look so bad if you don't have to pay for housing.

I think spending 2 years in London and being able to whereever you want in Europe on the weekends is an unforgettable experience. I doubt you'll care if you save less money.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:15 AM
grant516

n/a posts
60K in Florida is the way to go.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:50 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,624 times
London is my favorite city in the world but only because I already live in NY. London is a once in a lifetime opportunity considering it's difficult to get a visa unless you're exceptionally talented. Plus as another poster stated, you can travel anywhere you want in Europe on the weekends for relatively cheap if you book in advance. I've booked round trip flights from London to Oslo and London to Stockholm for $20 and not a penny more. I just paid the taxes on the flights on Ryan Air.

You can move to NY anytime, but London only comes around once. Then again I might have a different opinion if I wasn't so used to NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City