Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:25 AM

37 posts, read 93,473 times

Advertisements

NYistheplace2 and BMWGuy thanks for the info about inwood. I'll just stay the heck out of the low income areas. They are not a joke. Seriously. I learned in Houston.

So, what means of transportation do you guys INDIVIDUALLY take (the taxis, subway or bus?) This may sound crazy but I do not know about the subways. I am slightly on the learny side about them. Seems like danger's just waiting to happen.
Who rides the subways[the rich, the poor, the creeps etc ?]

Okay, what if one day you get off the subway and you notice someone is following you - what do you do? Or a guy on the street will not take the hint when you tell him to back off? Is it time to pull out my stun gun? New Yorkers what is the correct responses to these situations? I know what I would do in my hometown, though I do not know if I would risk it in New York. It is too many people around.

What if a stranger follows you to your taxi then turns around into the dark? Is it safe to carry a stun gun or a taser in your purse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:18 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,767 times
Wow, you are paranoid! I have lived in some really bad areas and NYC really safe compared to most other cities. Everyone but the obscenely rich usually ride the subways to some extent. My lawyer friends making $200K+ a year ride the subway. I work in theater so I usually get home late at night and even as a girl when I lived in Harlem, I never had any real problems getting home late at night. If you do go to NYU, your dorm will most likely be in a very safe area- I have walked around Manhattan at all times of night (did a film with a lot of night shoots) and was never the only person- there are lots of 24 hour stores and delis and people frequenting them. I'm fairly certain pepper spray and stun guns are illegal but use some common sense- if someone is following you, go into the first open store/bar/whatever you see and wait for them to follow you in, then loudly tell him off in front of the clerk or whatever or look for a police officer and tell them. I've never had a problem like that, but if it happens, 99.9% of people will back off if you yell in public (and there will always be someone passing by). All the dorms in NYC that I've seen have doormen, so that should bring a little more comfort. My fiance's little sister is a junior at NYU and if she's coming home really late, she either cabs it (which is usually pretty cheap) or she comes back with a friend. She's never had a problem and she likes to go out and party til the wee hours of the morning.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:37 AM

I am not paranoid, just safe! Thanks for the tips anways...

Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,249,635 times
surfthewave4, I know what you are talking about. Certain men, just don't take no for an answer, but I haven't had the severe sort of situation you are talking about since I've moved to NYC. It's not like in other places where you are walking down the street and a guy in a car follows and tries to pick you up because not that many people own cars (well, at least in Manhattan).

However, guys on the street will try and a firm "no" will usually do the job unless you are in certain neighborhoods (this is why I no longer live in Harlem). But it doesn't sound like you'll be spending much time in those places.

And don't worry about the subway. When I first moved here, I thought I would never learn the different letters, numbers and colors. It was a mystery. But you'll probably only use one line at first and then slowly, you'll get the lay of the land. And EVERYONE takes the subway. I've seen movie and tv stars on the subway. It's often faster than a taxi. But late at night, I often take a cab home because the wait for a train is long due to budget cuts and drunk people can cause trouble.

You'll start off extra cautious, which is great. And then you'll learn what works for you. For example, I currently live in Washington Heights and I know that if I'm heading home on a weeknight between 11 and midnight, my subway ride home will be filled with Broadway actors, dancers and musicians going home too and perfectly safe. But I only learned that from living here.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:11 AM

447 posts, read 1,564,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfthewave4 View Post
I am not paranoid, just safe! Thanks for the tips anways...
Just stay out of low income areas and you'll be fine. I don't think the NY crime rate is that different then Houston's, though I could be wrong.
Manhattan is mostly safe. Most crime happens in housing projects or some of the bad neighborhoods uptown.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
Just stay out of low income areas and you'll be fine. I don't think the NY crime rate is that different then Houston's, though I could be wrong.
Manhattan is mostly safe. Most crime happens in housing projects or some of the bad neighborhoods uptown.
Alright. Thank you for all the help and patiences! I appreciate the other users answering my questions regarding New York. I will have a safe time in New York City!

Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,392,886 times
The subway is pretty safe, and all you have to do is take adequate precautions, and you will be fine. Remember, millions of people ride the trains without major issues, so the odds are stacked in your favor for a safe trip.

Don't be tuned out by your iPod, wear expensive jewelry, ride alone/wait alone on a deserted platform at night, and most importantly, trust your instincts. If something seems odd, get out at the next station and move to another car, or just get out on the platform and wait for the next train. And, when you exit the train at night, stick to major streets, even if you walk an extra block or two to your destination.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-10-2010, 11:40 AM

615 posts, read 1,675,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfthewave4 View Post
As a possible NYC university student, what areas of New York City should I be cautious about? Also, what things should I know about living in New York? Are the subways safe? Do you run into a lot of crazys in the streets and subways?(Every city has 'em)

I am from Houston,Texas. As a young minority female living in a very large cultural city. Even with the cultures, diversity, and variety of people, I know there are areas around my city certain people should avoid. There's crime and there are prejudice people, what areas in New York have the worst reputations for them?

In regards to my question, how are the areas of Greenwich Village and Central Park West about minorites and prices? The university resides in that neighborhood.

Just give me advice for living in New York. Therefore, details would be nice!

Thanks

IMO is the most important thing to possess in NYC is STREET SMARTS, and learning your way around the city i.e. transportation, etc....! If you do not feel safe/comfortable in a neighborhood; leave.

Many neighborhoods have changed for the better; even Harlem as some listed as "dangerous". It has become very diverse; Caucasians, Mexicans, Asians, PRicans and African Americans.

You can't walk around like an easy target; paranoid/nervous otherwise you should not live here. That is not a healthy quality of life.

You will encounter some homeless people on the streets, but they aren't any crazier than some of the "average" people in NY at times (some very high-strung people here....). lol Just be aware of your surrounding at all times.

RE: Subway system - I personally hate it, since returning to the City, but that's my personal feeling. It's hot and I just don't like going underground for mass transportation.

Do I take it on occassion? Yes However, I'm more partial to the express buses or my car (depending where I'm going of course - wouldn't use my car to commute into the city).

RE: Greenwich and Central Park West: Expensive to live/nice areas, but I'm not sure about your budget.

NYC is melting pot. We have a very diverse city, and that to me is what makes it all the more interesting. Learning and networking with people from different backgrounds.

Again, use some common sense and street smarts, and I believe your time in NYC will be fine/fascinating! I have listed some websites that may be of interest to you. Hop stop in particular as you can plug in an address (from/to), and it will tell you what subway train and/or bus you can take for your trip. Others are informative in terms of cultural venues, restaurants, pubs/lounges, etc.........

HopStop.com - Subway Directions and Bus Directions for New York City (NYC)
New York - DailyCandy
http://www.thenycinsider.com/
New York, NY City Guide - Reviews and Recommendations by Citysearch
The New Yorker

Peace!

P.S. You can always carry a mace spray/whistle (or both!) on your person for personal safety/precaution. If it makes you feel better - many do.

Last edited by SummerBabe; 08-10-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 08-11-2010, 12:23 AM

Default Reply: SummerBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBabe View Post
P.S. You can always carry a mace spray/whistle (or both!) on your person for personal safety/precaution. If it makes you feel better - many do.
Great idea! Thank you for your time.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:59 AM

8 posts, read 17,173 times
I've lived in Brooklyn, NY for all my 26 yrs of life. I love it, however I did get married and now that I'm ready to start a family I don't mind moving to a smaller city.

I don't know much about the other boroughs, but nicer places to live in Brooklyn would be Park Slope, Boro park, Bay Ridge. East NY and Bushwick are places I would stay away from. It's okay to look like tourists, we see tourists every single day, but if you do need directions, going into a store and asking someone would not be a big deal, NYC ppl are not that rude and scary like a lot of people seem to think.

~If you want to live in a big city, very diverse population, great restaurants, museums, parks, something cool to do every single day, good schools, a lot of shopping, you will sooo love it here!
Ugh, now that I think about it.....do I really want to move?? hmm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City