Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:59 PM

876 posts, read 2,141,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
well the particular reference to harlem is brought about because harlem is historically a important part of black culture with institutions such as the apollo and schomburg museum, and periods of time such as the harlem rennaisance, which sparked many creative minds in the arts. i understand what you mean, but its a bit deeper than saying "i wish bed-stuy would stay black," or "i wish bensonhurst stayed italian."

now if somebody said, "i wish bay ridge stayed white", thats fine, but for what reasons? did bay ridge play a huge part in white american culture, and if so, how? any white institutions in bay ridge of cultural or historical significance?
Good point. I didnt think of it in those kind of terms. But my question is this. What do you think about someone saying I wish america would stay a white christian nation. This nation was founded by white christians. This nation became a superpower because of the actions of white christians. The culture of this nation has been a white christian culture and history. Yes white christians did some pretty horrible things to people of other races but then again black people in harlem done some pretty horrible things as well. The question is this if it is ok to feel that way about harlem why isnt it ok to feel that way about other aspects of this nation. By the way I am white but not a christian. I do respect christians a lot since there are many who go all over the world helping people like those people who were killed in afganstian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
sobro guy harlem was never all white, so i wish you guys would stop using that example. it was all native american at one time. when the whites came to harlem they didn't come alone, they bought black slaves, and allowed some black free people to live there, and they have been there ever since.

also the same goes for washington heights and the south bronx. i know my history, study up. i am not going to let anyone make those blanket statements because black and latin people have been in this city from it its beginnings. they didn't come here in 1950.
After reading your post I did looked it up. And you are wrong. It was originally a dutch settlement. Blacks started moving in the turn of the 19th century.
Look it up yourself
Harlem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-12-2010, 07:08 PM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
Good point. I didnt think of it in those kind of terms. But my question is this. What do you think about someone saying I wish america would stay a white christian nation. This nation was founded by white christians. This nation became a superpower because of the actions of white christians. The culture of this nation has been a white christian culture and history. Yes white christians did some pretty horrible things to people of other races but then again black people in harlem done some pretty horrible things as well. The question is this if it is ok to feel that way about harlem why isnt it ok to feel that way about other aspects of this nation. By the way I am white but not a christian. I do respect christians a lot since there are many who go all over the world helping people like those people who were killed in afganstian.
well to honestly answer your question, i dont think i would feel any way about that. but i will say not everybody came over as immigrants, some came against their will as slaves.

i think thats what makes this city and nation great, because you can basically live the lifestyle that you want around the people that you want, just choose a part of the country or pick a neighborhood in nyc.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-12-2010, 07:57 PM

461 posts, read 1,999,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
After reading your post I did looked it up. And you are wrong. It was originally a dutch settlement. Blacks started moving in the turn of the 19th century.
Look it up yourself
Harlem - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Double standards suck! Nice work on the research DSNYSANMAN.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:28 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
shortly after the dutch, others arrived with slaves, alexander hamilton, and other plantation owners were there in the 18th century. i guess their slaves were white. i'll get back to you with better sources than wiki.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Double standards suck! Nice work on the research DSNYSANMAN.
what double standards, i don't mind whte people or any one that is law abiding moving to harlem. you guys are always bashing people from groups other than your own. you guys have made this forum very ugly since you starting posting all your rants. but people should see that your type exist here in nyc.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:32 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,399,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycistheplace2 View Post
This information is from the department of city planning website.
i know where its from but do you know how long bloomberg has been saying this? and not one thing has happened to 125th to show this neither.

i think bloomberg believes theirs more things in nyc to worry about then rezoning a whole area that doesn't really change anyone,s lives in nyc.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:39 PM

461 posts, read 1,999,997 times
Quote:
you guys are always bashing people from groups other than your own.
Apparently you haven't read my previous post on other threads I've done on this board but I'm Ecuadorian!!! (Latino). And despite me being latino, I do recognize the fact that when white people move into the ghetto, the area gets revitalized and beautified. Also, despite me being a latino or a minority, I do recognize that when you have a predominately black or latino neighborhood, the neighborhood will NOT look as nice because the blacks and latino mess it up themselves. I.e. graffiti, hanging out, drug dealing, etc.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:51 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeight$Babe View Post
I just wish Harlem would stay the black mecca. Im not against having safer streets but still, not if it means it becomes like an extension of the Upper East Side.
I understand your sentiments, but things change and as a former "mecca", it will have it's vestiges and it won't be like no trace of the history will remain...the Apollo Theatre is a protected historic landmark, for example.

Or I'll put it another way....back in the day, the Lower East Side was a "Jewish mecca"......Jews lived there long before moving on to Brooklyn, Forest Hills and the Grand Concourse (and later moving on from there to Long Island, Scarsdale, etc.), yet even though it is pretty much a Latino nabe and has been for decades now, Katz's Delicatessen, Schapiro Wines and Sammy's Romanian Steakhouse, amongst other things, still remain and thrive.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 PM

Quote:
shortly after the dutch, others arrived with slaves, alexander hamilton, and other plantation owners were there in the 18th century. i guess their slaves were white. i'll get back to you with better sources than wiki.
If you dont like wiki try this source.
History of Harlem, harlem history!

Harlem was home to jews, irish, dutch and other europeans before it became the home to blacks. In fact during the 1900s there was a estate bust and whites started leaving harlem which was when blacks started moving into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City