Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:13 PM

13 posts, read 30,563 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty much out of cash, no friends and family and no job prospects.

I'm a 35y/o male.

In 2 weeks, I'll be homeless if a job and a miracle does not occur.

I'm so suck and tired I can't stand it anymore.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 02:05 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
You already live in NYC, or you live somewhere else and you are looking to move here?

Old 08-21-2010, 06:54 PM

13 posts, read 30,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You already live in NYC, or you live somewhere else and you are looking to move here?

I am looking to move to NYC.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:52 PM

267 posts, read 1,033,317 times
OP, most people on this forum will tell you this. If you neither have a job or $$$, don't move to NYC. I agree with them. I don't think many of us here know much about homeless shelter.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:20 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
OP, most people on this forum will tell you this. If you neither have a job or $$$, don't move to NYC. I agree with them. I don't think many of us here know much about homeless shelter.
And from what we read in the news, the shelters are dangerous places. New York City has about 38,000 homeless people, and many of them are severely mentally ill and/or drug addicts.

In the morning walking to work, I usually pass at least one person sleeping in a doorway. Some homeless people don't want to even go to the shelters.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:30 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Hungry View Post
I am looking to move to NYC.

You're insane if you move to NYC homeless and penniless(sp). Go to the welfare office in your area, get help there. They are less crowded and you'll probably have a better chance of finding somewhere decent to stay.

You're better being homeless in Hempstead, Yonkers or Newark rather than the South Bronx, Harlem or East New York. Good Luck

Old 08-22-2010, 03:56 AM

874 posts, read 1,659,380 times
Why are you looking to move to NYC? I'm just wondering.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:54 AM

876 posts, read 2,141,696 times
That is a sad story. Tell you the truth if you have no job, no friends, no family and physically healthy I think your best option would be to join the military. They will feed you, give you a shelter and help train you for a profession. Your not that old and still have a chance at a good life. By the way just because you join the military doesnt mean you will see combat. The advise I am giving you is what I would do in your situation. Good luck and g_d bless.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:57 AM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
Bedford Avenue in Brooklyn is...not as bad as I thought it would be. If you go there, avoid the third floor. It's full of punks and gangbangers. I stayed there for 5 months. Certain "conservatives" would be amazed at how many people there are decent and have jobs. The food in the morning is edible but the dinner isn't. They will issue you a locker but don't put any valuables in it - keep those on you at all times.

I've heard bad things about Randalls Island.

Better not to move here without some prospects and a plan. Figure on getting together at least $500 for deposit, rent, etc. for a rental room. If you use a referral service, be aware that many of them are dishonest and a waste of money; most charge way more than their service is worth. Trusting one is largely how I wound up in the shelter, as I was continuously employed a throughout.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:02 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the morning walking to work, I usually pass at least one person sleeping in a doorway. Some homeless people don't want to even go to the shelters.
I bailed from the shelter about a month before I got my place, because some gangbangers were starting to notice me and it was only a matter of time before I got jacked up. I camped out in the park instead.

Those subway ads encouraging people to call 311 on homeless people are a major crock of crap. Anyone who narcs out some hapless homeless person to Bloombuck$ social services deserves a punch in the mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City