Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2010, 08:38 AM

3 posts, read 11,994 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am a mother to a 3 year old and I am currently 4 months pregnant. Long story short I got behind on my rent due to the fact that I lost my job and so did my husband. We did absolutely everything to get our back rent paid, went to ppublic assistance they said they would help pay the back rent but I had to get a court order. The landlord refuses to go to court and get an eviction notice. He has taking money from another family and wants us out immediately. We don't kno what to do. Is there a family shelter that is safe. I have a part time job now. The landlord refuses to lower our rent and still refuses to get a court order for us to pay the back rent. I would appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 09:56 AM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,624 times
I have nothing helpful to contribute, but stay strong. Best of luck to you and your family. God bless.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:43 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore07 View Post
Hello, I am a mother to a 3 year old and I am currently 4 months pregnant. Long story short I got behind on my rent due to the fact that I lost my job and so did my husband. We did absolutely everything to get our back rent paid, went to ppublic assistance they said they would help pay the back rent but I had to get a court order. The landlord refuses to go to court and get an eviction notice. He has taking money from another family and wants us out immediately. We don't kno what to do. Is there a family shelter that is safe. I have a part time job now. The landlord refuses to lower our rent and still refuses to get a court order for us to pay the back rent. I would appreciate any help.

I don't see how he can at all kick you out/make you leave unless he goes through the courts.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:45 AM

Thank you Portrichmonder, I will try my absolute best to stay strong.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 AM

Sekhmet1974, is that true he won't be able to kick us out without a court order? Do you have any advice on what I can or should do?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:43 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
How far back are you overdue? I don't think a landlord has any legal recourse until you are 3 months behind.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:09 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I suspect the landlord doesn't want to go through a formal eviction process because it costs him money and time and also, he might lose. I don't think he can just tell you to leave, though. I believe you have the right to stay until you are formally evicted. You should read up on NYC tenant law.

This is a FAQ about evictions, from the landlord's point of view:

Marshals Evictions FAQ - Marshals - Department of Investigation

Q: As a landlord, can I just phone a city marshal and say I want to have a tenant evicted?
A: A city marshal may conduct an eviction or legal possession only after a court has ruled on the landlord's petition for removal and issued a Warrant of Eviction to the marshal.
Q: What is a petition for removal?
A: In order to start a proceeding to evict a tenant, the landlord, or his or her attorney, must prepare a petition requesting a court hearing, which must be served on the tenant and filed with the court.

Old 10-10-2010, 10:23 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,624 times
I was thinking the same as them, to be honest. I've heard from tons of people that eviction is an incredibly drawn out process and that the court just kicking you out on the street when it's all said and done is incredibly rare, if it happens at all. I can't speak from experience though.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:21 PM

116 posts, read 353,792 times
Try contacting Homebase (you can call 311 and they'll direct you) Not sure if they can help but worth a try.

NYC Department of Homeless Services

ETA: I don't know anything about how they work so you may want to check thru the website first or solicit other opinions as well.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:52 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I believe that there are lawyers available for free legal counsel at landlord tenant court. Sorry but I don't know the times/days that they are available, but maybe calling 311 would help. I don't remember how it works, but I think that your landlord can serve you some notice, but then you have the right to contest it in court. I think talking to a lawyer is really important though. Here's a site from the internet that may help:

http://www.cwtfhc.org/housing-links

Also, there used to be an organization on the upper west side (around 72nd) that provided free legal counsel for tenants - I can't remember the name of the organization -- I don't know if anyone else does.

Good luck with staying in your apartment, and if all else fails, there are homeless shelters for families in the city, I think calling 311 would be the best way to find something close to you. I know someone who's in one in the Bronx -- I haven't been there, but it seems to be like an apartment, and really doesn't seem to be so bad. A bus picks up her son to bring him to his school, because the shelter isn't close to it.

Good luck again & stay strong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City