Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 06:54 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times

Advertisements

Stubbs what Bronx neighborhood is this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2014, 12:27 PM

29 posts, read 54,100 times
It's Castle Hill, which I know has gone way way way downhill in the last years. But if we want to save to move to a decent area, then we're stuck in my family's house for the next years. I try to think of it as a sacrifice, which it is, as we can rent now and not own, or save up so we can own something in another borough. We want to own. Till then we're in hell.

We've had the house for over 50 years and I recall when it was a nice neighborhood when I was little. Slowly from the mid 70s up, it's gotten so bad that it's unbearable nowadays. My grandparents refused to leave their house when the Bronx started to go downhill, so in a way their stubbornness is to blame.

The street that plays non stop music is Chatterton, which used to be full of families and kids. Now it's a nightmare. That being said, it's only the last two or so years that this street has gone into mega overdrive. Before that we suffered with this occasionally. Now it's all the time.

The fact that the Bronx has gotten very poor is no reason for people to be such pigs in every way and have no consideration or anyone. There's garbage all over, parties, people hanging out, houses that look like s-holes.... Yet you come to this street and the people aren't rich but are decent. I'm lucky for that, but not lucky for whose yards we face or the fact that they're such open spaces that everything comes right into our house no matter what we try. I'm embarrassed to be from here, and I'm embarrassed I've stayed in the borough. When people look shocked to hear I'm from here or look a bit weirded out, trust me, I feel the same. There's no pride in being from here anymore. I know some think that expecting people to be decent here is too much, but why should it be? And why should every representative not give a crap? I've tried everything and am out of luck. We sometimes sleep on an air mattress on the other side of the house or with earplugs (though not on a worknight as you won't hear the alarm). Sometimes that's not enough. Why would anyone think behaving like this is ok? Yet somehow so many do. My husband works odd hours and extra hours too, so why should he get no sleep when he's already overworked? Chatterton is also full of babies and kids, but none of these people even care about their own children. Why not?

Right now I'm locked in the house with all the windows closed and still have people's music coming in. Last I looked out the window, there's one kid sitting down in their backyard staring into space. Why the music then?? Saturday night I got home late from being away and there was a party on the other side of Chatterton that was so loud we could feel the bass in here. That started near midnight from what my husband told me.

Last edited by stubbs123; 05-26-2014 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: typo and more info

Old 07-07-2014, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
I agree with you,
311 and 911 is a ridiculous, weak, irresponsible image.
I have 3 Years complaining for NOISE and other things to my bldg., waiting for an action to answer my concern for my family and my neighbors.
Looks that 311 and some of the Precinct # 75 Cops are part of the “team”. I really am shocked.
Any way I will continue to stay and report my concern because I can’t skip this ugly and very danger attitude. We are not cops, but first of all, every day we try to keep safe the peoples and places start from our home and our families.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,359 times
Angry what a disgrace in Queens

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Yeah its insane.

Bloomberg needs to change the way noise complaints are handled.

Its useless speaking to the people having the parties because they are not considerate. I have tried this route many times and almost got into a fight.
311 was created to gain support for the city administration and political votes. It's useless. I have to endure my neighbors loudness, cursing, urinating on my picket fence to occasional fights from May to November everyday from 6 pm after work to 11 pm. Weekends are another story from middays to late nights. Cannot open my windows or be in my own backyard. Never any results from the police even the online reports show that they came and found nothing meanwhile i'm sitting waiting and no show by the cops. So they too are frigging liars. They have no respect for neighbors or kids and i've been dealing with this for about seven years. Living in NY is nice on magazine and news but a complete disgrace in the city departments.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:27 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derby1014 View Post
311 was created to gain support for the city administration and political votes. It's useless. I have to endure my neighbors loudness, cursing, urinating on my picket fence to occasional fights from May to November everyday from 6 pm after work to 11 pm. Weekends are another story from middays to late nights. Cannot open my windows or be in my own backyard. Never any results from the police even the online reports show that they came and found nothing meanwhile i'm sitting waiting and no show by the cops. So they too are frigging liars. They have no respect for neighbors or kids and i've been dealing with this for about seven years. Living in NY is nice on magazine and news but a complete disgrace in the city departments.
Are they owners ?

If not, write to the landlord. Keep track of complaint numbers. Keep a log. Send it all certified mail, return receipt.

Call 311 each time for the record.

Repeat.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:57 PM

14 posts, read 18,982 times
I just moved to the suburbs. I sleep like a baby now. Eff the city. I can take the train whenever I want amd be there in 30 mins anyway. Im not paying ridiculously high rents and having my sleep ruined.

I suggest those of you that can, should do the same as well.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:44 AM

102 posts, read 142,602 times
311 is definitely a joke

Old 08-03-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Are they owners ?

If not, write to the landlord. Keep track of complaint numbers. Keep a log. Send it all certified mail, return receipt.

Call 311 each time for the record.

Repeat.

Landlords don't care, especially if they're providing government housing.

I wrote a few representatives back in February, and I wrote a few senators last month, but I have no hope that anyone will respond, as no one has and no one cares.

Last night some people took over a parking lot and had a MEGA MEGA LOUD Indian disco party from 8pm until at least 3:30am, if not more. We could hear it a block away with no escape from it. I'd bet it could be heard further than just a block too as it was that loud. That means thousands of people suffered all last night into the morning hours due to someone doing this. The ironic part is that all the party goers weren't even from here, as there were people parked all over. When my husband passed by to get some info for our 311 reports, he said most of the partygoers looked to be over 50 and just stood around trying to talk (no way they could have even if they wanted). He also said it was so loud that when he was still a good deal away from the party, he could feel the sidewalk vibrating.

And the best part? The 311 reports all say it was a non crime situation. How is that not a crime??? There are noise LAWS, and these people were sticking their finger up not giving an s about anyone. Yet it's not a crime? That's part of why I wasted time writing those letters - because people who do this need to be prosecuted and in some cases arrested. I also think that when it's a house doing this that there should be a way of holding 311 complaints against the owner or the house, so that they'll actually care and take action to evict the people causing the issues. But there's such disorganization in this city and no real use of technology or manpower, so people will always get away with it. I can't wait till we have enough saved to get out of this area, though how horrible is it to see a once nice place go downhill so badly due to such a huge influx of poor and scummy types.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:30 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbs123 View Post
Last night some people took over a parking lot and had a ... party from 8pm until at least 3:30am ... my husband passed by to get some info for our 311 reports ... people who do this need to be prosecuted and in some cases arrested.
Why didn't your husband & your neighbors solve this, instead of relying on the city?

Old 08-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Why didn't your husband & your neighbors solve this, instead of relying on the city?

How? We've tried speaking to people across from us once and they were nasty and got spiteful. About two months ago my husband stupidly tried to talk to othes across from us and they threatened him. We made a police report about that.

What exactly can we do when nearly an entire neighborhood has gone to pot? The street we have trouble with is basically party central and very few of them work. It used to be all homeowners and families. Nearby it's turned into one big party hangout. Even some businesses (clubs, dance studio, clothing stores) blast music and keep doors open. How do we take action against that more than I've tried with letter writing and constantly doing what the city tells us to with 311?

What do you think a bunch of partygoers who thought what they did this weekend was acceptable would have done to my husband if he said anything? And then yesterday a house near us had a loud party for 7 hours and the cops twice claimed they heard nothing even with the exact address. This is the house that previously had a bunch of guys threaten to kill my husband and circle him How do we deal with that? All we could do was turn on everything we could to make white noise and stay out of our own kitchen and bedroom to try and escape it, though we couldn't escape the bass.

If you have an answer, then I'd like to know what it is. The only one that's going to get results for us is to continue saving steadily and to get out of this borough and never look back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City