Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 11:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,826 times

Advertisements

Not sure how it's 311 fault when your reports are forwarded to your local precinct for response... It's the NYPD you should have a forum for. They're the ones that's not responding... yes the fact that you can't call your local precinct right away sucks but don't blame 311 for unresolved complaints ...Wake up people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 5,753 times
I have the same issue and I am going through this for last four years. NYPD is a JOKE when it comes to noise complain. I tried calling 911 or 311 NO HELP at all. Few days after I received a call from local prescient regarding my call. I explained everything about the noise and then I asked the police officer if they were going to take any action and the officer replied to me NO. That's how NYPD works. NYPD should seriously think about the noise complaints. Particularly noise in residential areas and there should have zero tolerance on this. But who is going to listen to me. I guess NO ONE!

Old 05-11-2016, 01:07 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,624,300 times
unfortunetely when it comes to noise in the city, most peoples response is:
"its a city, there's noise, dont like it move".

but what people dont realize is, we know its a city, and we know we will have noise, but there are noises that can and should not be tollerated, especially after certain times.

no, your neighbor shouldnt not be blasting music at 2am in the apt below you

no, there should not be a helicopter hovering over you home for 4 hours

no, there should be no construction work going at at midnight.

get it?

so unfortunetely, no 311 does nothing about noise complaints.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:09 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times
Gosh, that reminds me of a horrible year in my apartment when two young 19 year old boys moved in - their mother had co-signed for them.

At the time, I was working full time and finishing up my graduate degree at night, and what a nightmare it was to come home at 10pm ready to go to sleep but instead I had to listen to their music, parties and extremely loud video game playing. I almost went insane!!

I called 311 several times and the cops didn't even come half the time but would close out the call. So one day, I got so angry that I called the desk sergeant and asked why they have the habit of closing the 311 call without even visiting. The sergeant apologized and sent two cops over.

When the two cops came, they were both angry at me - said, "Why did you complain about us, when we did come" - they were both so pissed that I sensed danger - I thought they were going to arrest me, so I let it go.

Anyway, I finally got rid of the noisy tenants myself by video recording their noise and uploading it on youtube. I sent the link via email to the landlord's office and threatened to take the management company to court - as they are not keeping their end of the lease agreement where it states that we have a right to "peace" or some clause like that.

The boys were finally evicted after my constant communication with the manager's office. It took 9 months, though. And 9 months is a lot without sleep, i'll tell ya.

Yet now, I am at peace! But no, 311 did not help one bit.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:20 PM

139 posts, read 151,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

When the two cops came, they were both angry at me - said, "Why did you complain about us, when we did come" - they were both so pissed that I sensed danger - I thought they were going to arrest me, so I let it go.
Ugh, I'm sorry. I've had a similar experience with my neighbors. My problem was that while the music wasn't loud in the hallway, it WAS loud in my apartment. Cops don't care about that - 'it's a civil issue' that I have to deal with through landlord. I have a terrible landlord who does nothing.

My neighbors have 6-7 people living in their 1 bedroom apartment, so I reported them for that a couple weeks ago. We'll see if anything happens. I didn't want to go there but they are really nasty whenever I try to talk to them.

I plan to move asap but right now I can't.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:49 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromageball View Post
Ugh, I'm sorry. I've had a similar experience with my neighbors. My problem was that while the music wasn't loud in the hallway, it WAS loud in my apartment. Cops don't care about that - 'it's a civil issue' that I have to deal with through landlord. I have a terrible landlord who does nothing.

My neighbors have 6-7 people living in their 1 bedroom apartment, so I reported them for that a couple weeks ago. We'll see if anything happens. I didn't want to go there but they are really nasty whenever I try to talk to them.

I plan to move asap but right now I can't.
I feel for you. I know how it is to deal with noisy neighbors. That's one problem I am glad I no longer have.

I would start documenting if I were you. Do it in form of video recordings so you can have actual proof. The manager's office needs to know they are not holding up their end of the lease agreement to your, "Right to Quiet Enjoyment"
NYC Rent Guidelines Board

Old 06-07-2017, 06:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,652 times
Noise pollution is a crime and it doesn't matter if it is coming from your apartment or not. Not sure what part you don't get. There is a point to 311 and the police are supposed to give a ticket if they witness it. The first ticket is around $70 and it goes up to $120 and then I think around $200 dollars.

Not sure how a guy who worked for 311 doesn't get that. However, I do understand that sometimes the police never show up. That part I understand and it's also one of the reasons I am getting the hell out of NYC. The city is entirely overrated.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,055 times
Who do I complain to about "music performer at subway track level"?
He is playing at the track level with amplified music at and an extremely high decibel level.
I complained to the M.T.A., they referred me to an organization "Music Under New York", they referred me to the NYPD.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:15 PM

371 posts, read 526,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
We've tried that in the past. With the M-13 and Latin King activity around here, they refuse to go down the driveway as they are afraid of a gunfight (it's actually more of a small street, with 3 houses).

Pretty bad when armed Police are afraid to break up a party.
but there was a thread on here a while back saying the police will no longer be used to breakup load parties. People responded saying that hopefully none of the rude people will see that thread as it will make the problem worse.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:17 PM

371 posts, read 526,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX6353775 View Post
Noise pollution is a crime and it doesn't matter if it is coming from your apartment or not. Not sure what part you don't get. There is a point to 311 and the police are supposed to give a ticket if they witness it. The first ticket is around $70 and it goes up to $120 and then I think around $200 dollars.

Not sure how a guy who worked for 311 doesn't get that. However, I do understand that sometimes the police never show up. That part I understand and it's also one of the reasons I am getting the hell out of NYC. The city is entirely overrated.
where are you going though? The most jobs are in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City