Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 01:38 PM

99 posts, read 172,099 times

Advertisements

Hello~

Just curious to know what the going rates are for the following:

Nannies (full-time, light housekeeping, 2 children)

Housekeepers (full-time, cleaning, assisting family, cooking, no childcare)

Caregivers (LPNs, full-time, light-housekeeping, elderly or disabled client)

Home Health Aide for Senior Citizen (" non-nurse " same as above)

There are a lot of discrepancies and I wanted to throw a couple of these out there. I have seen that daycare for kids can range from $600-1,500/month here in NYC..the other stuff seems so gray. I'm sure many of us NYers hire people to help with the kids, house, or our elderly parents..so I'm wondering what the going price is..what you can expect to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 02:08 PM

10 posts, read 59,762 times
We pay our nanny $15 an hour. She works usually between 30-35 hours per week. She does light housekeeping and watches our 6 month old. We live in queens (not sure if that makes much of a difference but I wouldn't be surprised if nannies working in manhattan expect a bit more).

Old 10-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Interesting. $15/hr seems like quite a bit to begin with...I can only imagine what Manhattan nannies make!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 PM

99 posts, read 349,852 times
I am a nanny in Manhattan for young twins and have been with them nearly 2 years. I don't do any housekeeping. I now make a six figure salary for a 50 hour week (with an additional $15-20G a year for overtime), plus health insurance. I work for millionaires though and I am literally raising their kids. Most of my nanny friends make $15-25 an hour. The housekeeper here earns $20 an hour.

Old 10-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahona View Post
I am a nanny in Manhattan for young twins and have been with them nearly 2 years. I don't do any housekeeping. I now make a six figure salary for a 50 hour week (with an additional $15-20G a year for overtime), plus health insurance. I work for millionaires though and I am literally raising their kids. Most of my nanny friends make $15-25 an hour. The housekeeper here earns $20 an hour.

Wow..good for you! That's the ideal job . However, I would assume it's not that common :-P. Not too many millionaires haha

Old 10-09-2010, 04:50 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Yeah I've noticed taking care of other people's kids is quite the cottage industry around here. I mean if you're paying your nanny $30k/yr, that's $2500 a month just for childcare. A sobering reminder of just how much money falls out of some people's pockets with hardly a raise of the brow.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Yeah I've noticed taking care of other people's kids is quite the cottage industry around here. I mean if you're paying your nanny $30k/yr, that's $2500 a month just for childcare. A sobering reminder of just how much money falls out of some people's pockets with hardly a raise of the brow.

I don't want to sound rude, but I always felt that was WAY too much for a Nanny who wasn't also cleaning and cooking. That's how much many experienced college grads can expect to make right now. Just..$2,500...well, it seems outrageous. Even $800/month for daycare seems steep. If only I liked kiddos...I know what industry I should get into then!

Old 10-09-2010, 06:19 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,276 times
Frankly, many working and middle classer's don't raise their own kids anymore either. That's so 1950's to have mom stay home and chase babies and not too many people can afford to do that anymore. Not sure who to blame for that. (Probably Republicans)

Old 10-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Ok, so PS..my friend was offered a senior care position. She'll work 50 hours a week...M-F for 10 hours, per day for one old man with mild dementia who is mobile. She's expected to do all of the housecleaning and some very light cooking. They told her that typical pay, for this, is $100 for a 12 hour shift TAXED and that caregivers are expected to do the housekeeping...... Does this sound about right? She'll make $500/week for 50 hours...and eventually they want to claim her on their taxes, so she'll be taxed. I know that nannies charge around $15/hr and don't do intense housekeeping..but I have also seen some nannies offer this for $300/week...so I have no idea if my friend landed herself a good gig.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:03 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,071,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
Ok, so PS..my friend was offered a senior care position. She'll work 50 hours a week...M-F for 10 hours, per day for one old man with mild dementia who is mobile. She's expected to do all of the housecleaning and some very light cooking. They told her that typical pay, for this, is $100 for a 12 hour shift TAXED and that caregivers are expected to do the housekeeping...... Does this sound about right? She'll make $500/week for 50 hours...and eventually they want to claim her on their taxes, so she'll be taxed. I know that nannies charge around $15/hr and don't do intense housekeeping..but I have also seen some nannies offer this for $300/week...so I have no idea if my friend landed herself a good gig.
That's absurd.They are trying to get a slave.Most cleaning ladies get at least 20/hr cash just for cleaning so why would someone also take care of a senior and cook for 10/hr ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: