Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 10:19 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladidadada View Post
Harris is in Flushing, on the Queens College campus. It ranks #33 in the nation according to the U.S. News and World Report and is the #1 high school in NYC according to the New York Post. Sorry, I've heard of John Dewey but don't know much about it!
Sadly,John Dewey is on the latest list of NYC schools to possibly be closed at the end of the year due to poor performance.It was indeed,at one time, one of the best high schools in NYC but a lot has changed in the last 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 10:48 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Sadly,John Dewey is on the latest list of NYC schools to possibly be closed at the end of the year due to poor performance.It was indeed,at one time, one of the best high schools in NYC but a lot has changed in the last 20 years.

Wow! I was on another thread and s few posters told me that the college (SUNY Binghamton) I attended is not what it used to be. SUNY Binghamton 25 years ago was the best college in the SUNY system for undergrads. Some posters say it's now a joke and just another party school.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:32 PM

Can anyone explain to me what happened to the IS/JHS system in the city? The school I attended, I.S. 293 seems to have closed down and the school in its place is The High school for Global Studies. IS 293 was horrible, most of the kids from Gowanus projects attended the school so it had many discipilinary problems. So I wasn't surprised to see it closed down. What I am surprised is that the new school houses grades 6 to 12. Why are JHS kids attending the same school as HS kids? My other question is are kids now being placed in schools around the city starting in 6 grade? Has the zoned neighborhood school system been eliminated.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,160,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Wow! I was on another thread and s few posters told me that the college (SUNY Binghamton) I attended is not what it used to be. SUNY Binghamton 25 years ago was the best college in the SUNY system for undergrads. Some posters say it's now a joke and just another party school.
True - Most of the SUNY's are Party Schools (we just completed our College searches and my daughter did NOT pick any of the SUNY's for partly that reason).

Old 11-01-2010, 06:40 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
interesting, what about the neighborhood HS? I remember Bayside and Midwood being the best in that category. The high schools in my area, Sarah J. Hale and John Jay were at the bottom. I was told they are no longer NY high schools because of poor performance.
This list is from when i was in high school in the late 90s:

Brooklyn: Midwood, Fort Hamilton, Murrow, Madison, FDR
Queens: Bayside, Forest Hills, Francis Lewis
Staten Island: Tottenville
Bronx: Not sure, I don't know Bronx high schools that well, but then again I've never heard of a Bronx neighborhood high school that was actually that good...if i had to pick....maybe Kennedy?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-01-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
This list is from when i was in high school in the late 90s:

Brooklyn: Midwood, Fort Hamilton, Murrow, Madison, FDR
Queens: Bayside, Forest Hills, Francis Lewis
Staten Island: Tottenville
Bronx: Not sure, I don't know Bronx high schools that well, but then again I've never heard of a Bronx neighborhood high school that was actually that good...if i had to pick....maybe Kennedy?

That was the same list in the early 80's.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 PM

14 posts, read 39,170 times
Bayside, Forest Hills, and Francis Lewis are still reputable neighborhood high schools in Queens, especially if you are admitted to one of their special programs. I believe Bayside has one that focuses on the natural sciences and is a good fit for pre-med students, or at least I remember applying to something like it. Forest Hills and Francis Lewis have similar programs.

Back when I was applying to college (ca. 2004), Binghamton was still the best in the SUNY system. I wouldn't be surprised if things have changed since then, but it seems that the quality of public education is declining nationwide, and not just within the state or city of New York.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:41 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
I assume we're only discussing public schools, as there are some really great private schools in NY that are at least as good as the specialized schools. Among public schools, isn't Hunter considered to be up there with Stuyvesant and Bronx Science, perhaps even better?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:22 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
FYI, the top SUNY schools, generally considered Binghamton,Stoney Brook, New Paltz and Geneseo, and Cornell ( the land grant schools) are getting better I've heard from friends familair with them, because these schools have become strong low-turition options for many bright students who can't afford private schools. Tutition for NY state schools is still ridiculously low, even when compared with instate tutitions at other states. I think its about $6500 a year. many SUNYs are still party schools, yes. SUNY Albany has this rep big time. But the best of them compare favorably with any other state schools and better than many privates.

As for Hunter, yeah its always considered a great school, with many grads going on to IVy League and other top schools. But you can only enter in the 7th grade and only after passing a hellish test.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:27 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Oh, and forgot to add that the land-grant schools at Cornell tuition is about $20,000 a year --expensive but still about half the cost of the private colleges at Cornell. And its the same Ivy Leage degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City