Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 06:40 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,673 times

Advertisements

Back in the 80's when I was in high the top three were:
Bronx High School of Science
Stuyvesant High School
Brooklyn Tech

I couldn't make the cut for those schools. I was accepted to John Dewey but never attended. My parents fled the city after the thought of having their little boy ride the subway by himself. Anyways, John Dewey was a good school back then is it still considered one of the better High Schools? Which are the best high schools in the city? Are the above top three still the best or have they been dethroned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 06:50 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,072,273 times
Only thing I would add is that The High School of American Studies ,in The Bronx, is arguably the best of all the high schools in the city.In the latest US News and World Reports rankings ,HSAS was ranked 19th best high school in the US....higher than all the other NYC specialized high schools.

The other three(Bronx Science,Stuyvesant and Brooklyn Tech) are probably 2nd,3rd and 4th.

http://www.hsas-lehman.org/

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-26-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 10-26-2010, 07:03 PM

14 posts, read 39,181 times
The three that you mentioned still have very good reputations. Other that are up there include Townsend Harris High School (my alma mater!) and specialized high schools at Lehman, York, and City Colleges. Admission to the latter three is based on your scores on the SSAT (the same exam administered for students applying to Stuy, Bronx Science, and Brooklyn Tech), while the former admits students based on their academic, attendance, and citizenship records in the 7th and 8th grades.

I wouldn't say the three that you mentioned have been "dethroned," 1nevets, but I feel like students these days certainly have many more options for their secondary school education than they did in the eighties. Then again, I was only born in the late eighties, so I have no idea what the public school system was like then.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladidadada View Post
The three that you mentioned still have very good reputations. Other that are up there include Townsend Harris High School (my alma mater!) and specialized high schools at Lehman, York, and City Colleges. Admission to the latter three is based on your scores on the SSAT (the same exam administered for students applying to Stuy, Bronx Science, and Brooklyn Tech), while the former admits students based on their academic, attendance, and citizenship records in the 7th and 8th grades.

I wouldn't say the three that you mentioned have been "dethroned," 1nevets, but I feel like students these days certainly have many more options for their secondary school education than they did in the eighties. Then again, I was only born in the late eighties, so I have no idea what the public school system was like then.

Wow! Thanks for making me feel old. I graduated from high school before you were born. How is John Dewey these days? Never heard of Harris. Where is it located? Where does it rank?

Old 10-26-2010, 07:50 PM

5,520 posts, read 8,766,208 times
There are a few others, in Manhattan, at least that are quite popular and also quite good -- the three Bs, which are Bard (and its sister school Bard II in Queens), Beacon, and Baruch-- and Eleanor Roosevelt.

The Bards are considered espcially strong and academically they're easily the equivalent of the specialized high schools because they give kids thier diploma at the end of 10th grade and an associates degree at the end of what would be 12th. Needless to say, both Bards are incredibly tought to get into and academically intense. Both require 85+ averages in all subjects in middle school and both have their own separate entrance exams. Thousands of kids try for maybe a few hundred spots.

Baruch, located near Baruch College, and Eleanor Roosevelt, on the Upper East Side, are both small schools (maybe 500 kids tops?) with a big humanities tilt, difficult reading lists, and also very hard to get into, but many kids who graduate from them go to top colleges. Beacon, near Lincoln Center, is uber West Side liberal and artsy. From what I know I think its somewhat overrated, but kids die to get in (mine didn't make the cut) and strike me as little more than a typcial upscale suburban HS with about 1200 kids I think.

Whats interesting to me is that aside from some of the specialized science schools and maybe Beacon, all the top schools I know of are heavily female, like about 60% to 40% and the Bards, are especailly known for the difficulty in attracting boys. I think that the strongest NYC high schools are just not very boy friendly these days.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
There are a few others, in Manhattan, at least that are quite popular and also quite good -- the three Bs, which are Bard (and its sister school Bard II in Queens), Beacon, and Baruch-- and Eleanor Roosevelt.

The Bards are considered espcially strong and academically they're easily the equivalent of the specialized high schools because they give kids thier diploma at the end of 10th grade and an associates degree at the end of what would be 12th. Needless to say, both Bards are incredibly tought to get into and academically intense. Both require 85+ averages in all subjects in middle school and both have their own separate entrance exams. Thousands of kids try for maybe a few hundred spots.

Baruch, located near Baruch College, and Eleanor Roosevelt, on the Upper East Side, are both small schools (maybe 500 kids tops?) with a big humanities tilt, difficult reading lists, and also very hard to get into, but many kids who graduate from them go to top colleges. Beacon, near Lincoln Center, is uber West Side liberal and artsy. From what I know I think its somewhat overrated, but kids die to get in (mine didn't make the cut) and strike me as little more than a typcial upscale suburban HS with about 1200 kids I think.

Whats interesting to me is that aside from some of the specialized science schools and maybe Beacon, all the top schools I know of are heavily female, like about 60% to 40% and the Bards, are especailly known for the difficulty in attracting boys. I think that the strongest NYC high schools are just not very boy friendly these days.

interesting, what about the neighborhood HS? I remember Bayside and Midwood being the best in that category. The high schools in my area, Sarah J. Hale and John Jay were at the bottom. I was told they are no longer NY high schools because of poor performance.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:43 AM

334 posts, read 1,102,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Wow! Thanks for making me feel old. I graduated from high school before you were born. How is John Dewey these days? Never heard of Harris. Where is it located? Where does it rank?
Harris is in Flushing, from the wikipeda entry,
"Townsend Harris consistently ranks as among the top 100 High Schools in the United States. It currently operates as #33 out of 100 according to U.S. News and World Report and was recently named #1 high school in New York City by the New York Post."

Old 10-28-2010, 09:16 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,630 times
I'd also like to add that there are many good 'Specialized' High Schools in NYC (such as Performing Arts, Sciences, etc.). I know the DOE puts out a book every year listing all the schools and includes various statistics and information about them.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:04 PM

28 posts, read 56,836 times
Ah ,
Bronx High School of Science
Stuyvesant High School
Brooklyn Tech

They bring back memories. I missed Tech in the late 90's by a few dozen points and thought it was the end of the world. Anyway back on topic i would say Stuy is still the top school. Tech i heard is not so great like it used to be and Science is about the same. But in my opinion i think high school is overrated and the driver is really college. As long as you place top of your school and take placement classes your set.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 PM

14 posts, read 39,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Harris is in Flushing, on the Queens College campus. It ranks #33 in the nation according to the U.S. News and World Report and is the #1 high school in NYC according to the New York Post. Sorry, I've heard of John Dewey but don't know much about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City