Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:26 PM

34 posts, read 80,444 times

Advertisements

I graduated Middle School in '99 M.S.141 to be exact and the High Schools in The Bronx were terrible so my choice was Kennedy I know theres Bronx High School of science that is really good but I remember my brother having to take a test to get in...I dont live in NY anymore but I was wondering have the Bronx high schools gotten any better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
No comment.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:31 PM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
if youre not in Bronx science or a private or catholic school, forget about it.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
No comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
kindda figured lol...what I dont get is how you got Bronx Science and not even a 2 minute walk your at Clinton H.S which is way worse than Kennedy ever was

Old 11-08-2013, 09:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Dont forget Horace Mann and fieldston. Both private high schools are pretty good but will cost 40k a year, many Bronxites and even New Yorkers dont make that much a year to send their kids to a private high school insititution.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:08 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,652,533 times
Do those kids in $40k+ private school have better grades than the kids in Bronx Science? I doubt it.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:50 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Most of the above comments are a little out of date.There are actually a number of pretty good high schools in The Bronx these days.Two of them are in my neighborhood and they both came about through the break up of Christopher Columbus High School into several smaller schools.They both have solid B ratings with above average graduation and college admission rates.

They are The Pelham Preparatory Academy and Collegiate Institute for Math and Science.Neither is on the level of any of the city specialized admission test high schools but they are far,far better than high schools in The Bronx or anywhere in the city for that matter,in days gone by.

http://schools.nyc.gov/OA/SchoolRepo...12_HS_X288.pdf

http://schools.nyc.gov/OA/SchoolRepo...12_HS_X542.pdf

Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
BlueDog for NYC, or the Bronx, those are ok schools...none qualify as good or a school that any self-respecting parent with options/means would send their kids to. The HSs in the Bronx are the same as those in NYC overall....generally bad..which is why people leave the city when they have kids, or spend a fortune to send them to private schools.

There are exceptions, and some very good HSs in NYC, but generally, the HSs are not good. The only Bronx HSs I would send my own kids to are Bronx Science, Riverdale Country, or Horace Mann. The only other option is Spellman in Baychester..and that's pushing it already. I went to Spellman back in the day and it was a good school for working class/lower middle class kids....I tend to think they have lowered their standards since then, but I'm not sure so I would really have to do my homework before sending them there.

Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
BlueDog for NYC, or the Bronx, those are ok schools...none qualify as good or a school that any self-respecting parent with options/means would send their kids to. The HSs in the Bronx are the same as those in NYC overall....generally bad..which is why people leave the city when they have kids, or spend a fortune to send them to private schools.

There are exceptions, and some very good HSs in NYC, but generally, the HSs are not good. The only Bronx HSs I would send my own kids to are Bronx Science, Riverdale Country, or Horace Mann. The only other option is Spellman in Baychester..and that's pushing it already. I went to Spellman back in the day and it was a good school for working class/lower middle class kids....I tend to think they have lowered their standards since then, but I'm not sure so I would really have to do my homework before sending them there.
I don't know,Sobro. Pelham Prep and Collegiate Institute have a partnership program with The University of Vermont,which is one of the top rated Colleges in the country.Plenty of people from all over the US are quite happy to have their kids get a chance to get in there.

Although I understand where you are coming from,my opinion is that the Bronx's rep for nothing but horrible schools is getting to be as outdated as the Bronx's wider bad rep.People just can't seem to get over the past and actually look around and observe the present.Let's give some credit where credit is due and recognize where great strides have been achieved.

I have been inside both of these schools and observed.I think you and others would be astounded at the atmosphere within.

Undergraduate Admissions : University of Vermont

I am one who would never,ever send a kid to a Catholic School( because I had the misfortune of being sent to one in elementary school) and who couldn't afford a place like Horace Mann or Riverdale.If I had a kid who couldn't test high enough for a specialized school these are exactly the types of schools I would want my kids in.

The question posed by the OP was "I dont live in NY anymore but I was wondering have the Bronx high schools gotten any better?"

The answer is a definite yes,just the same as the fact that the Bronx in general has gotten much better.Too many people on here stuck in the 90's.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-09-2013 at 06:37 AM..

Old 11-09-2013, 11:13 AM

well yay!!!thats great,I am planning a possible move back to NYC in the future and I really do miss the Bronx and S.I. which would be my second choice on moving to I have 2 about to be 3 kids and you can never be to prepared I'm just dreading when mine start H.S.
but knowing that theres been changes already is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't know,Sobro. Pelham Prep and Collegiate Institute have a partnership program with The University of Vermont,which is one of the top rated Colleges in the country.Plenty of people from all over the US are quite happy to have their kids get a chance to get in there.

Although I understand where you are coming from,my opinion is that the Bronx's rep for nothing but horrible schools is getting to be as outdated as the Bronx's wider bad rep.People just can't seem to get over the past and actually look around and observe the present.Let's give some credit where credit is due and recognize where great strides have been achieved.

I have been inside both of these schools and observed.I think you and others would be astounded at the atmosphere within.

Undergraduate Admissions : University of Vermont

I am one who would never,ever send a kid to a Catholic School( because I had the misfortune of being sent to one in elementary school) and who couldn't afford a place like Horace Mann or Riverdale.If I had a kid who couldn't test high enough for a specialized school these are exactly the types of schools I would want my kids in.

The question posed by the OP was "I dont live in NY anymore but I was wondering have the Bronx high schools gotten any better?"

The answer is a definite yes,just the same as the fact that the Bronx in general has gotten much better.Too many people on here stuck in the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City