Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:44 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job offer at one of the elementaries there, for Kindergarten. It's about 3 blocks away from the 170th st station on the 4. This is a better area than what I've seen in the south Bronx. Do you consider this south Bronx? I posed this question and got one response, so I'm asking what all your opinions are. Also, any opinions at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 06:56 PM

11 posts, read 59,134 times
This area is not vey safe, a police officer was shot just days ago not too far from there. It is a very busy area with a lot of auto shops under the L.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:11 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Not a good area. I dont recommend it.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:18 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
High bridge was considered the "west Bronx"(west of the Concourse) decades ago which was synonomous with "class" compared to the "east" bronx which was not associated with "class"

When i started going to yankee games as a teen in the 70's, we would exit the Cross bronx at jerome Ave and head south on jerome to the stadium. From the Cross bronx down to 167th(River Ave) Jerome was a total devastated wasteland of abandoned buildings, sounds of people getting stabbed, beaten, young kids fighting in empty lots, young ladies running around under the influence. Eating lunch in the car in the parking lot, 2 young kids came by bothering us and we had to chase them away. When we got back to our car after the game, a gang slashed several fans' tires in the parking lot(but they missed our car).

In fact, I recall the corner of 170th was the worst place i had ever seen. Yet my dad said that this spot was not even the "south" bronx--"i'll take you to the East bronx and show you REAL disaster", he said.

The area seemed to get a little better as you neared the stadium, but not by much

I was last on jerome in that area in 1993 and a few years after that. I didn't see any abandoned buildings on jerome that were there 15 years prior(renovated or destroyed), but the area still was run down and dangerous, though no longer as menacing as it was way back when

So there's your answer. It's still bad, but not as bad as in 1978

Old 09-11-2007, 07:25 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,689,401 times
The 'south" bronx was really known as the "east" bronx which was the area east of Webster or 3rd Avenue and stretched all the way to the Bronx River. It included Charlotte Street which was where Jimmy Carter stood in 1977 to signify an urban wasteland. That east bronx area was portrayed in the Fort Apache The Bronx movie as well as in the book--the area around the 160's and 170's around Boston rd, Southern Blvd, Westchester Ave

The south bronx was really more like Mott haven, Melrose and Hunts point

Old 09-12-2007, 04:46 PM

Well, I went there twice so far. I think it's a pretty dirty area, but it's so busy that no one notices me. Plus, there's other white as can be teachers like me in the school, so it isn't a big deal. The subway station is right by the school. I observed some Kindergartens today and they seemed pretty ok. I'm not sure how the older grades are, but I assume they're more violent the older it gets. That's how it usually gets with city elementaries. The Kindergarteners miss their mommies and since there's no pre-k in this school, they're pretty behind in academics.

I've seen worse areas in the south Bronx, so I don't think it's all that bad. I don't drive there because the staff told me parking is horrible. Subway by me in Queens is maybe an hour and 15 minutes. But I plan on moving further west and closer on the R line so it's a shorter commute.

Old 09-14-2007, 01:03 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,800,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I've seen worse areas in the south Bronx, so I don't think it's all that bad.
Looks can be deceiving.

The very worst block in my opinion walking distance from that train station is Marcy Place. It's like a mini hell on earth. You come up to one of those buildings to make an arrest and not only is there a little riot in protest that calls for a level one mobilization every time, but the damn kids throw bottles and bricks at the patrol cars and ESU from the roof.

That whole strip up and down Walton is strait out a movie on a hot summer night.

Block is so bad the rookies are afraid to do footpost.

Last edited by Hustla718; 09-14-2007 at 01:25 AM..

Old 09-14-2007, 08:01 AM

Well, I arrive arond 7:30ish in the morning, and leave around 3:30pm.

Though 2 nights during the school year there's back to school night. It ends around 6pm I believe. One is in November and the other is in April or so.

Thing is, the only teachers I'm friendly with are the ones next door to me in my trailor classroom (lol). The school is enormous, and I don't really know the teachers in the main building since I'm never in there. That one teacher I'm friends with drives, so I'm kind of on my own when going to the subway. It's only a 3 minute walk or so.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:33 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
i love the step streets in this area looks real gritty i need to go take some pics 1 day

Old 09-14-2007, 12:32 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i love the step streets in this area looks real gritty i need to go take some pics 1 day
What are step streets?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City