Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 PM

296 posts, read 734,866 times

Advertisements

lmfaooooooooooooo sub human yall are to funny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 11:19 AM

127 posts, read 548,087 times
Latinascared2, at least Highbridge has given you a place where you can call home. Be grateful for that instead of insulting all your neighbors.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,006,009 times
No kidding...she lives off her boyfriend, has no job, and is completely irresponsible (she is the one that lost her dog!). Sounds like she fits in perfectly in the neighborhood to me.

Old 07-07-2008, 05:33 PM

34,113 posts, read 47,343,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guywithacause View Post
No kidding...she lives off her boyfriend, has no job, and is completely irresponsible (she is the one that lost her dog!). Sounds like she fits in perfectly in the neighborhood to me.
LOL be easy GWAC.....

even though she did leave the door open.

i've already taken care of her, no worries.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-14-2008, 02:47 PM

12 posts, read 81,973 times
Wow. I actually joined just so I could respond. I wonder what kind of things some of you guys get into to say that this is such a horrible neighborhood. I have lived in HighBridge for a little over 15 years and its a lot better than it was 10 years ago. Im not going to lie and say there arent any drug dealers, especially on Marcy Pl and Elliot. But, they dont just stand there robbing random people all day long, theyre usually paying attention to their business or trying to talk to neighborhood girls. I have never been robbed in this area, nor has any of my friends and family that live in this area. You should just have common sense, and not try and be a hero. I find that 170th from jerome to concourse is a very busy street, but people are there socializing, shopping and/or eating. I think a lot of the people that posted here still have that memory of this area and other parts of the bronx was before. It is very different, and the police are doing their best to patrol the area. I have never felt unsafe here. Like one of the posters said, unless youre planning on hanging out in front of a building or bodega until 3 am, half naked, i dont see you having a problem.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:06 PM

125 posts, read 130,264 times
Hey welcome BxChick and thanks for your insight. What kind of changes have you seen in Highbridge over the last 5 years or so?

Old 08-15-2008, 01:32 AM

12 posts, read 81,973 times
Well we had disgusting parking lots full of rats and homeless diseased dogs in every other corner. the parks were completely beat up. The streets were full of potholes. And the drug dealers were ridiculous. I would say I probably live in one of the quietes parts of highbridge. Im actually right across the street from the HighBridge on University Ave. and on a summer day it was completely packed with drug dealers, unemployed, ghetto troublemaking kids. The gangs were trying to take over, almost everyday someone was getting stabbed or shot at for stupid reasons. I myself got beat up when i was 10 by a group of 15-18 year old bloods because i got into an argument with an 11 year old boy and i pushed him. well apparently, his big sister was a blood and they beat the bejesus out of me. And Plimpton ave and Nelson Ave was the go to place if you wanted to find someone to either steal a car for you or steal a car part for you. Suddenly around year 2000-2001 the cops must've been going full force. All the drug dealers,thieves started getting arrested. They started having regular foot patrol officers the whole day. a few of the parks were renovated, including the park where the aqueduct runs thru and where highbridge is at. All the parking lots were bought and there are new buildings and 2-3 family homes everywhere. got rid of a lot of the shady bodegas and we have a few supermarkets. They have many programs in the schools around here to help students after school, which reduces the kids in the streets all day long getting in trouble. The library on 167th st is having a multi million dollar renovation. In my area mostly everyone grew up together and they know each other and look out for one another. I feel safe walking down the block to make a late night walk to the grocery store. However the district 9 school system is crap at best. the buildings are run down, the books are worn and outdated and no one is doing anything about it. I feel they need to renovate the schools. Ces 11, 126 come to mind. There are a few great teachers there, but their hands are tied with a messed up school. We decided to send my brother to a charter school, family life academy on 170th and jerome. I feel like we have made good progress, though we need more progress in the school system and a new middle school.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:32 AM

125 posts, read 130,264 times
Interesting...those are some pretty vivid changes....and it sounds like there are much more to come. Do you plan on staying in the community..if so...why?

Old 08-15-2008, 10:08 AM

335 posts, read 1,113,651 times
I have to agree with bxchick the bronx has gotten a lot better. Being from bk and living in the bronx when people hear I'm from the bronx or grew up in brooklyn they give me this look like I'm crazy for living there. First of all not everyone is fortunate enough to live in great neighborhoods. Not everyone in highbridge are drugdealers, crackheads, or whatever. Not everyone is fortunate enough to have high paying jobs and move to the better areas. The bronx neighborhoods are getting better. And now there is a lot of police presence around but that alone won't stop the drug dealing and violence. The people have to want to do better for themselves and their children. Parents need teach their children to have respect for others and themselves; and to strive for a better life instead of continuing the cycle of ghettoness and poverty.

Old 08-15-2008, 10:13 AM

473 posts, read 1,671,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxChick1230 View Post
.....Im not going to lie and say there arent any drug dealers, especially on Marcy Pl and Elliot.......
Considering how close mentioned streets are to the 44th pct, I've always wondered how the drug "business" thrives ....... Those streets are known by people even outside the bx. I think the safety net around highbridge comes from it being a somewhat insular/people-know-the-locals area. You just mind your business and keep it moving.....Also bxchick, don't forget the new school on E-clarke

Highbridge can be depressing though.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City