Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:58 PM

979 posts, read 4,457,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Mod your comment was that we are "rabid pro-LL" and would "inundate", and "no doubt LL is trying to save money" (as if this were a bad thing and the tenant admittedly was doing the same thing).
Quote:
Not a bad thing for the LL to save money however "serving" a notice to evict by email is not a legal notice in any court. I am simply answering th OP's question about legitimacy. OP's words (which was sent via email, that doesn't seem legit to me)
He asked an honest question and you gave him an unfair answer,
Quote:
Unfair? Are you naive enough to think the Law is fair? There are certainly advantages that tenants have in court and many advantages that LL's have when writing the lease. No one is pointing a gun to the LL's head to rent. If you are squeamish about renting real estate in NYC, get out! There are plenty more who want in.
to which I countered. We are not pro-rabid LLs because we don't appreciate deadbeat tenants, and the tenant has acknowledged himself to be just that by not vacating the apt and choosing to stay, not pay rent and "look out for himself."
Quote:
Why shouldn't he look out for himself? If he can use the law to his advantage why shouldn't he? Why should I be dishonest and deny him what I know is legally permissible in court. Have an honest discussion about why the law is "unfair" but don't prevent the dissemination of information. "Deadbeat Tenants"? Well if all tenants who fall behind in their rent are "deadbeat" and that helps you sleep at night, so be it.
There are in fact just as many "pro-rabid Tenants" as there are Landlords on this site.
Quote:
The difference is that the pro LL posters totally bogart any thread that asks about tenant rights bleating about how "unfair" the law is sermonizing about the low moral character of the person who dared asked about fighting the LL.
Had you left out the unfair comments and said he would have better luck on another site, I would have had no problem. I believe the bulk of your comment was unnecessary as well...maybe you should be scratched.
The "bulk of my comment" was to the question asked by the OP. I suggested TenantNet because unlike here they actually are interested in the law and giving appropriate answers to legal questions. For you to have a "problem" with what I say is at best having incredibly thin skin or at worst annoyed that I didn't withhold information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 08:21 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Why would you believe we are uninterested in the law here? We just make stuff up and give inappropriate answers? I have found city-data to be a good source of quality information, and when some give bad information, it is oftentimes challenged and/or corrected.

You somehow believe that this site is simply pro-landlord, which it is not. You are also suggesting that Landlord's are "rabid" and other such derogative descriptions, that only reinforces negativity. Why do that? Landlord's are not the enemy any more than tenants are. Unfortunately you seem to think so, and it is unnecessary in your comment. If at the end of the day the tenant cannot/will not pay his rent, chooses to overstay his lease a few more months and still not pay his rent, and acknowledges that he is "looking out for himself", it is hard to have any sympathy for this person, as he shows very little sympathy for the predicament he puts his Landlord in.

I hope he gets back on his feet. But let me ask you this: When he does get back on his feet, do you think he will ever pay the back rent/court costs that he will owe? As someone who is a Landlord, I can tell you unequivocally the answer is always NO. At best it will simply be a judgment against him and go into collections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City