Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:24 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,643,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
It is the reality that if you are hungry in this country there are multiple resources to help you get fed, or housed, medical attention, which are non-existent other places. This is not opinion, this is fact. Whether people choose to seek out these resources is up to them.

And another reality is that illegal aliens do no have the world handed to them...unless you believe walking 30 miles in a desert to cross a border, getting a job working 12-14 hour days for less than minimum wage slaughtering pigs, with no days off or benefits, and living in a 10 x 12 room with 4 other people is "the world handed to you." So please, stop the rhetoric.
Well if life is so bad here for an illegal alien, then stay in your own country.
Nobody asked them to come here in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 PM

60 posts, read 118,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are 38,000 homeless people in NYC. You want to arrest them all?
Quite the idea they have don't they Mightyqueen?

Yup, let's do what these arrest-happy people want.

"Average cost to incarcerate a prisoner for a year, 1996: $20,142"
http://www.prisonpolicy.org/prisonindex/prisonindustry.html

38,000 x $20,142 = $765,396,000

Enjoy your extra taxes NY'ers. That or less tax money going into fixing and maintaining public infrastructure and funding other services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
that guy on the street you might step over who has not eaten in days may very well have worked many, many years and paid his taxes and paid his dues, but yet you can have an illegal alien here who gets the world handed to him and has not contributed one damn penny to this country, My opinion is to take care our own citizens before taking care of other countries or Illegal citizens that are here.
Uh, while many probably work under the table and don't pay taxes, they do have to eat, get clothing, and shelter and contribute part of what little they get severely underpaid to do in order to get by and continue to work, even if they send some of it back to their home countries.

Not to mention the majority of people who run the businesses and hire these illegals are most likely caucasian Americans. These guys benefit greatly from hiring illegals.

Do you believe that foreign nationals that come here on work visas spend everything they earn in the US? Many of them who are here legally probably send money home, get educations and then go back to their country to work.

Hell, even with the screwed up economy and high unemployment rates all over the country, many of these Americans who would complain about being unable to find jobs or sustain themselves and their families since they have to compete against illegals that are willing to work for less won't even take some jobs or have a sense of entitlement expecting to get paid well for unskilled manual labor jobs.

Here's an example: Despite Economy, Americans Don't Want Farm Work | CNSnews.com (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/75855 - broken link)

-----

Sorry for going off-topic. If the guy is minding his own business, not being a nuiscance, stealing/robbing people then what's the big deal?

Sooner or later he'll wander off and find shelter elsewhere probably.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:17 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
My point is that arresting him will do nothing. There may be a way to help the man. Shelters are full and he may not have a place to go.

Then why dont u give him a place to stay. I'm sorry but the homeless just laying around severly hurt the quality of life of a neighborhood.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:22 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Quote:
And another reality is that illegal aliens do no have the world handed to them...unless you believe walking 30 miles in a desert to cross a border, getting a job working 12-14 hour days for less than minimum wage slaughtering pigs, with no days off or benefits, and living in a 10 x 12 room with 4 other people is "the world handed to you." So please, stop the rhetoric.
Ur sadly deluded if thats what u believe. Goto you tube and type in "The cost of illegal aliens" if u dont think they sponge off the USA.
I honestly cant believe how many folks dont mind having homeless folks and other undesirables in their living areas.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:39 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
Nightcrawler, that's a pretty lousy thing to say considering this nation is comprised solely of immigrants (legal and illegal). I didn't say life was "so bad here"..I said "the world isn't handed to them" as jacktavern alleges.

Jack the first thing I would say is stop getting your news from youtube searches. The only ones profitting from illegal aliens/sponging off the USA are not the illegals, but the corporations that hire them and are in some cases bussing them in to exploit. Try searching for that on youtube.

And people prefer not to have bums around, but when you live in a free country, you are also free to be a bum and it is not illegal or a crime to be poor/broke/smell/homeless. Something tells me you would have a problem having the government support all the bums in private housing with free food/expenses because they would be "sponging off the USA like those illegal aliens getting everything handed to them." So which would you prefer because it has to be one or the other.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:43 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
"Arrest him/her" is America's solution to every problem. Problem child? Arrest him. Mental problems? Arrest him. Somebody stepped on your shoes? Arrest him. Bum sleeping on a bench? Arrest him. And how has this perverse "solution" worked out for us?

There are SERVICES (not jail) that are available to help this person clean himself up and find a home, so if it bothers you that much, I would also call 311 (thank you Bloomberg) to learn how you can SOLVE the problem and not just jail him for a night and have him back out the next day. I hope that when you are down on your luck one day, and you will be, somebody offers you something else besides "Arrest him."

I don't know what you're talking about but I do know that if you break the law you should be arrested. End of story.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:58 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
They do them all the time. City Harvest picks up I forget how many thousands of pounds of food every day from restaurants and stores and distributes it to the homeless, for example. There's no reason for anyone to go hungry in NYC--the food is available. The problem, in part, is that so many of the homeless are mentally ill, and the shelters can be dangerous places, so people live on the streets because they feel safer.

Some of the mentally ill homeless can be funny. I was on a subway and this homeless guy was having a conversation with himself. The conversation was something out of the mind of Redd Foxx or Richard Pryor. It was a very explicit and vivid account of his overweight wife and how she traets him and people aroind them. The story was captivating and entertaining. It's sad that he's ill because he could be making millions with his imaginitive mind.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:39 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Then why dont u give him a place to stay. I'm sorry but the homeless just laying around severly hurt the quality of life of a neighborhood.
I wish I had the funds to help, but I'd be homeless myself if my parents didn't have room for me. Near minimum wage does not cover rent.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:12 AM

527 posts, read 1,020,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDShadow View Post
Quite the idea they have don't they Mightyqueen?

Yup, let's do what these arrest-happy people want.

"Average cost to incarcerate a prisoner for a year, 1996: $20,142"
http://www.prisonpolicy.org/prisonindex/prisonindustry.html

38,000 x $20,142 = $765,396,000

Enjoy your extra taxes NY'ers. That or less tax money going into fixing and maintaining public infrastructure and funding other services.

Uh, while many probably work under the table and don't pay taxes, they do have to eat, get clothing, and shelter and contribute part of what little they get severely underpaid to do in order to get by and continue to work, even if they send some of it back to their home countries.

Not to mention the majority of people who run the businesses and hire these illegals are most likely caucasian Americans. These guys benefit greatly from hiring illegals.

Do you believe that foreign nationals that come here on work visas spend everything they earn in the US? Many of them who are here legally probably send money home, get educations and then go back to their country to work.

Hell, even with the screwed up economy and high unemployment rates all over the country, many of these Americans who would complain about being unable to find jobs or sustain themselves and their families since they have to compete against illegals that are willing to work for less won't even take some jobs or have a sense of entitlement expecting to get paid well for unskilled manual labor jobs.

Here's an example: Despite Economy, Americans Don't Want Farm Work | CNSnews.com (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/75855 - broken link)

-----

Sorry for going off-topic. If the guy is minding his own business, not being a nuiscance, stealing/robbing people then what's the big deal?

Sooner or later he'll wander off and find shelter elsewhere probably.
Uh, could care less, If they did not come here LEGALLY and they do NOT pay the same taxes that I have to pay they should not be here AND they should be entitled to nothing from the government - especially nothing that my hard earned money has to pay for. They are here ILLEGALLY they should get Absolutely Nothing- If are tax dollars did NOT go to any illegals maybe we can be doing more for our OWN citizens-

Last edited by jackinyc; 11-19-2010 at 07:31 AM..

Old 11-19-2010, 08:33 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
1nevets..if someone breaks the law they should be arrested. But being mentally impaired is not a crime, and many homeless are. So why arrest them exactly? Being homeless is not a crime, so why arrest them? Sleeping on the street because you have no home, or are afraid of the shelters is not a crime. So why arrest them? Being poor/destitute/smelly is not a crime. So why arrest them?

Nobody is arguing arresting people for breaking the law. But America's answer to everything is, regardless of whether a law is broken, is "arrest him." And it ain't working!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: