Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:26 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,218,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
try finding a place that sells ham and eggs on Lee Avenue in S. Williamsburg. Try finding a decent Greek diner in Chinatown. Try finding a good russian tea room in Staten Island.

Birds of a feather flock together, esp in NYC. Sometimes, when a nabe changes, thats hard on those left there from an earlier age.

Where in Brooklyn can you find a decent rural Dutch meal?

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Neighborhoods of different ethnicities are what they are. I love that. I always have. That is actually what is being done away with slowly but surely. And you can be sure that you can find a cup of coffee for a buck in any one of those neighborhoods that you listed. As our little emperor mayor once said in his first term, new york is now a "luxury city". Meaning everything will soon be bland and the same as everything else. Slowly but surely.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 02:57 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Not sure what this has to do with anything. Neighborhoods of different ethnicities are what they are. I love that. I always have. That is actually what is being done away with slowly but surely.
And hipsters are just one more different group. Do you really expect the entire 5 boros are going to be dominated by upper middle class 20 somethings? I think thats most unlikely.

More likely that whole foods, yoga loving types are going to take over "chocolate city" including transforming Capitol Hill.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 12-01-2010 at 03:06 PM..

Old 12-01-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Definitely not just one blog, there are many. And you have to read the comments on them. From everything like brownstoner.com to curbed to the thousands of independent blogs by the current creative class of the city.
Ive read brownstoner, and I see lots and lots of folks there who like "authentic old brooklyn stuff" and who say very mean things about hipsters. What Ive seen on brownstoner does not ring true to what you are describing at all (of course there are some troll posters there, including antisemites and racists).

I wonder, if you dislike the hipster types, why you spend so much time reading their indie blogs?

You dont happen to OWN a dingy bar, do you?

Old 12-01-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
And hipsters are just one more different group. Do you really expect the entire 5 boros are going to be dominated by upper middle class 20 somethings? I think thats most unlikely.

Well if you talk to residents in different neighborhoods, they would tell you it feels like it's going that route. And trust me I am no bleeding heart, anti-wealth kind of guy. I realize that it may come off like that, but I am not. But when generations of family businesses and even people themselves are so quickly priced out of their areas; it is frustrating to watch. Hence me venting on here. That's all it is. And trust me when I tell you, I am not the only normal working class guy who feels this way. I can promise you that.....

Old 12-01-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Ive read brownstoner, and I see lots and lots of folks there who like "authentic old brooklyn stuff" and who say very mean things about hipsters. What Ive seen on brownstoner does not ring true to what you are describing at all (of course there are some troll posters there, including antisemites and racists).

I wonder, if you dislike the hipster types, why you spend so much time reading their indie blogs?

You dont happen to OWN a dingy bar, do you?
Brownstoner, brooklynian, bushwickbk, ****edinparkslope.....

Yeah I know about these sites because I came across them at one point or another. I don't spend all this time reading that ****, just browse through it once in while. It's interesting to me to see what a lot of these people have to say about the city. That is all.....

Old 12-01-2010, 03:39 PM

Here check this site out. It's the only one I have ever found like it. I think even you will get a kick out of it, being a native brooklyn guy like yourself...

diehipster.com – **** the hipsters!

Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,999,435 times
Quote:
not "Bruk-lyyyn". You got that ya hipster douches?? If you you're gonna claim you are from there, then at least try and pronounce it right.....

*deep breathes*
Oh! please, let's leave the Hipsters alone, and welcome them to NYC, like we do everyone else......we have people from 7 continents and people who speak over 200 languages living here, and we welcome ALL of them. That is what makes NYC, what it is, a fantastic place to live, because it teaches you about THE WORLD................ The good and the bad of it..............

Old 12-01-2010, 07:21 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Oh! please, let's leave the Hipsters alone, and welcome them to NYC, like we do everyone else......we have people from 7 continents and people who speak over 200 languages living here, and we welcome ALL of them. That is what makes NYC, what it is, a fantastic place to live, because it teaches you about THE WORLD................ The good and the bad of it..............

Old 12-01-2010, 08:01 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
That's a nice idea, but there's a major difference between the diversity you're talking about and the hipsters. The major difference I see is in pretension and artifice. This is what hipsters specialize in and that's why people are annoyed by them. At least, that's why I'm annoyed.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
That's a nice idea, but there's a major difference between the diversity you're talking about and the hipsters. The major difference I see is in pretension and artifice. This is what hipsters specialize in and that's why people are annoyed by them. At least, that's why I'm annoyed.

But OP is bemoaning the loss of neighborhood bars, cheap coffee shops, and rising rents.

Even totally non pretentious, down to earth people, who happen to be young, single, and with relatively high incomes, would cause all those things. Thats why I mentioned my DD. She is not pretentious. She is interested in NYC after college. When I was her age, Manhattan would have been the target to live in. Since she aint going to Wall Street, she will not be able to afford Manhattan. A share in North Brooklyn would be a good target. Simply by moving there, living there, and consuming according to her tastes she will help transform the nabe in ways the OP bemoans, even if she has no pretention or artifice. Its purely an economic/demographic phenom, as Manhattan rents have moved out of reach of the ordinary, non-rich, college grad. AFAICT, people dont feel comfortable blaming people for being young, and for being wealthier than the previous nabe residents (but not wealthy enough to afford Manhattan in 2010) so they focus on the hipster stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City