Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:33 PM

125 posts, read 333,762 times

Advertisements

I grew up on this island and never lived anywhere else. I'm starting to get that strong desire to move out of SI like every other person that lives here over 20 years. t I'm sick of saying to people "I'm from SI" because I KNOW what crosses their mind.

Almost everyone's parents/grandparents are from Brooklyn. The racial tension is absurd, I feel like everything here is so backwards as opposed to the rest of the NYC metropolitan area! Hate crimes galore.

Half of the Jersey Shore cast mates are originally from SI. I actually knew the girl Angelina at one point, who was actually recently smashed up side the head with a beer bottle by some classy SI girls at "the mall"

Most NYers would rather SI be a part of NJ, and they consider Hudson County to be more of a borough. More people in SI work in Jersey than they do Manhattan- Jersey/NYC thinks SI is irrelevant- We're only known for the dump (that closed) and the zoo, and when I say "zoo" I mean the mall, but even with the mall- NJ has better ones.

You have to either travel through Jersey or Brooklyn to get to the city- Or you can take a free ferry ride that's for most, way out of the way. Otherwise, NYC pays more attention to NJ. Not to mention that SI has this strange beef against NJ for the sake of being obnoxious- I have family in NJ, it's much better.

There's plenty of great things about the borough I grew up to love. Todt hill is nice, there's more nature here than any other borough, and the houses are generally nicer and in better shape (and they're more affordable).

Sorry about the long rant, but do any of you NYers actually like Staten Island? What are your thoughts and experiences on the forgotten borough?
I'm just curious, I lived here my whole life (24 years) and I'm strongly considering the move to NJ (Hudson County) or Brooklyn.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 03-24-2013 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: Offensive term removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 09:38 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
I like you bro. I think you're very handsome as well.....

Old 12-01-2010, 10:01 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times
I was born here and really don't care what other people think. I know the beauty that is here and appreciate it. I expect that I'll retire elsewhere due to the expensive nature of NYC, but I have no problem with living here now.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:02 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Get rid of the toll on the Verazanno-Narrows Bridge, and all of a sudden Staten Island appears much more connected to Brooklyn, and the rest of the physical 'Long Island'.

That's the nail in the coffin for me on SI.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:16 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
I lived in NYC for 30+ years and have never, ever been to Staten Island. I never even think about SI. I rarely even hear people talk about SI.

I now live on Long Island --- and I can imagine that Long Island is about 500x worse than Staten Island. I hate it here but have no way out at the moment. I'm working to save my $$ to get the heck off this overpriced sandbar and back to the city I love.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking2BeFree View Post
I grew up on this island and never lived anywhere else. I'm starting to get that strong desire to move out of SI like every other person that lives here over 20 years. t I'm sick of saying to people "I'm from SI" because I KNOW what crosses their mind.
That is a most un-New York attitude! People have lots to say about Brooklyn too--most of it isn't what you'd call positive--and I would never move out of my home borough because of what other people might say. Quite the contrary; my feeling is, screw 'em. They don't like Brooklyn, they can stay out.

And to answer your concluding question, I have nothing against Staten Island. It's a crying shame that the subway was never extended into that borough (there were two proposals in the 20th century, neither of which got anywhere), but it's perfectly fine as one of the five boroughs as far as I'm concerned.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:24 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That is a most un-New York attitude! People have lots to say about Brooklyn too--most of it isn't what you'd call positive--and I would never move out of my home borough because of what other people might say. Quite the contrary; my feeling is, screw 'em. They don't like Brooklyn, they can stay out.

And to answer your concluding question, I have nothing against Staten Island. It's a crying shame that the subway was never extended into that borough (there were two proposals in the 20th century, neither of which got anywhere), but it's perfectly fine as one of the five boroughs as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with every point.

The people who whine about Staten Island just want something to whine about. They're the same people who whine about Long Island (when they're not vacationing there), New Jersey (when they're not shopping there) and the rest of the metro area that for whatever reason just isn't quite as cool as where they live.

Now, to the OP, deep breaths, mi amigo, deep breaths, lol. We'll get through this. I'm 20-something and I don't have a strong desire to get off the Island (especially not to Jersey). The part of me that does want to leave is because the city is so expensive and I would like to live in other places at some point just to compare and contrast. I don't recall ever really being looked at funny by people when I tell them where I'm from either. In fact, most people I randomly meet in Manhattan usually just give me a surprisingly warm and relieved "Oh, so you're from here!" I guess dealing with tourists gets tiresome, lol.

Btw are you from the South Shore? Because something tells me I'd want to get out of there, lol. That place is like... Idk, but I wouldn't wanna live there, lol.

And you knew Angelina, how ironic because I know the girl they arrested for hitting her in the mall, lol. We went to high school together. Her friend actually posted on Facebook right after it happened but I didn't know if it was true until I saw it online, lol. Smh.

Yeah, though, back to breathing...

Old 12-02-2010, 01:25 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
I grew up in brooklyn, and knew people from my nabe (mainly Jewish, not Italian) who moved to SI shortly after the Verrazano bridge opened. Afterwards I knew people there, not only italian, but jewish and Protestant. Ive been to Tottenville, Travis, and other exotic parts of SI. These days I live outside NY and just pass through SI on the way to Brooklyn or Manhattan, but I still retain a fondness for it.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:47 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortRichmonder View Post
The people who whine about Staten Island just want something to whine about.
This is a generally unrecognized aspect of New York City. Yeah, we're the biggest, we're the financial capital, we're the media capital and all that. But we're also the Complaining Capital of the United States. Nobody does it better, as the songwriter said.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,034,543 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiBTP...layer_embedded
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City