Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:16 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
How do you know this Bronxguyanese?
I was bored and I went for a one mile walk, walked passed checkers on willis ave between 148th and 149th. ITs not open yet but I sure welcome this new addition to the niegborhood. Mcdonalds is so ghetto a something more mainstream should do the trick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 11:22 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I was bored and I went for a one mile walk, walked passed checkers on willis ave between 148th and 149th. ITs not open yet but I sure welcome this new addition to the niegborhood. Mcdonalds is so ghetto a something more mainstream should do the trick.
LOL! Wasn't Checkers born out of the ghetto? All the Checker on LI are in depressed or working class towns. It's not a fast food place I'd would look forward to seeing in my neighborhood. When Five Guys moves in call me.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:41 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,702,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Something I've noticed in that area is the large police prescence and arrest or search of the "corner" people. What are these people getting arrested for? It doesn't seem to be drug related but I could be wrong.
Well most of the times people drug deal in the corners maybe that is why police are doing random searches. Some of the NYPD cops are racists too even though they may not show it. So it could be for those reasons.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:10 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Quote:
LOL! Wasn't Checkers born out of the ghetto? All the Checker on LI are in depressed or working class towns. It's not a fast food place I'd would look forward to seeing in my neighborhood. When Five Guys moves in call me.
Ditto on Checkers. They're all over the ghettos of DC and Maryland...far from mainstream. I see you're up on Five Guys....that place is DA BOMB! lol

Old 12-12-2010, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Ditto on Checkers. They're all over the ghettos of DC and Maryland...far from mainstream. I see you're up on Five Guys....that place is DA BOMB! lol
I'm not a fan of fast food but Five guys is a cut above the rest. The burgers are very good and far better quality.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Like most fast food start ups invents, checkers did not start in the ghetto it started in suburbia back in the 1980s. I remember some years ago on the Howard Stern show they used to heavly advertise checkers fast food drive ins. THere is also one in coop city I think it has been thier for nearly ten years, dont know if it still exist up there. Im not a big fan of fast food either, sometimes I get really sad at people in the ghetto going crazy over mcdonalds, its been years since i steped inside the 3rd avenue location. One thing I learned is never come in between a ghetto person and his or her cheeseburger.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Like most fast food start ups invents, checkers did not start in the ghetto it started in suburbia back in the 1980s. I remember some years ago on the Howard Stern show they used to heavly advertise checkers fast food drive ins. THere is also one in coop city I think it has been thier for nearly ten years, dont know if it still exist up there. Im not a big fan of fast food either, sometimes I get really sad at people in the ghetto going crazy over mcdonalds, its been years since i steped inside the 3rd avenue location. One thing I learned is never come in between a ghetto person and his or her cheeseburger.
But unlike McDonld's it is found mostly in ghettos or working class neighborhoods. I wouldn't look forward to seeing one open near me. McDonald's doesn't have that stigma. Although, I wish it did.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:31 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Quote:
lmao @ bolded. Yea most FF joints did start out in somewhere out in the sticks (notice a lot of those areas were in the midwest)....and yea Checkers is still open in Co-Op City on Baychester...just had some food there last week lol.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
But unlike McDonld's it is found mostly in ghettos or working class neighborhoods. I wouldn't look forward to seeing one open near me. McDonald's doesn't have that stigma. Although, I wish it did.
When I was in Las Vegas I saw checkers in mostly suburban areas and not in the poor white or black ghettos. Same for North Carolina but these establishments were all drive-throughs. Maybe in urban areas through out America Checkers are in mostly poor minority areas. I know one thing for sure there are more mcdonalds in poor communities then checkers. Example 125sth has like three mcdonalds. While growing up I always see Mcdonalds as ghetto, anywhere I go in this country, thats just me you vets have a different stigma and story iight. Check back to me if there is checkers in Harlem.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:47 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I also see checkers in suburban communities, like all over Florida, and not in only ghetto areas. This has been my only experience with checkers though so it might be the exception. And there is a 5 Guys opening, across the border in Pelham Manor though. DAMN!

For some reason they just opened a new McDonald's which is actually really nice along 149th near Morris Ave...if you don't like the one in the Hub, go to the new one..it's much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City