Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 02:11 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Oh so they have the energy to get involved in the Country's pride (2 parades) and I'd bet also the Hispanic day parade (lot of Dominicans at that parade) but when it comes to celebrating the region of the country, the Carribean, it's too far away.

SuperMario, I'm not trying to knock Dominicans, my girlfriend is Dominican. It's just that you are not being honest as to why they don't attend or participate in a West Indian festival or you are oblivious as to why.
they dont want to be looked at as being west indian. The dominican parade is a blip on the radar compared to the west indian one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,771,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
they dont want to be looked at as being west indian. The dominican parade is a blip on the radar compared to the west indian one
I agree. As I said before the West Indian parade is the largest parade in the city. People travel all over the metro area to attend it. Traveling to another boro is "too far?" I don't buy it. Dominicans should be honored to be a part of it.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,053,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
LOL! So Dominicans can only afford to go to one parade a year? OK! whatever.
You're missing the point. We have OUR OWN PARADE. People go to parades that represents them, if it wasn't like this, you'd have many whites and asians in the PR parade. The West Indian parade is a nationalistic parade, unlike the Macy's parade where everyone goes. Dominicans are Dominicans first, which is why we go to our parade. No reason to go to the West Indian parade when it's in the middle of nowhere, and after attending a parade that actually showcased our culture, rather than maybe one float in the WI parade. Not to mention most Dominican's don't even identify with West Indian, as with Cubans and PR.

Quote:
Oh so they have the energy to get involved in the Country's pride (2 parades) and I'd bet also the Hispanic day parade (lot of Dominicans at that parade) but when it comes to celebrating the region of the country, the Carribean, it's too far away.

SuperMario, I'm not trying to knock Dominicans, my girlfriend is Dominican. It's just that you are not being honest as to why they don't attend or participate in a West Indian festival or you are oblivious as to why.
Why wouldn't we go to our countries parade? I feel no cultural similarities with Jamaicans, Barbados, Trinidadians, Guyanese etc ...the only country I feel a little something for, and I stress a little, is Haiti, due to our history, locations, and the going back and forth. But the brotherhood with Haiti is still less than the ones with Puerto Ricans and Cubans. Anyways, I don't know of any Dominicans who go to the hispanic parade, I didn't even know there was one. The only parade Dominicans go to are the various Dominican parades throughout the city and the Puerto Rican parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y
Hate much? The West Indian parade is a parade consisting of many countries. Including some Dominicans and Ricans who do attend. The Dominican parade is just one country. How are you comparing? Even then, nobody knows about that West Indian stuff. Most people know about the Dominican parade, especially hispanics who go just to bag the girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets
I agree. As I said before the West Indian parade is the largest parade in the city. People travel all over the metro area to attend it. Traveling to another boro is "too far?" I don't buy it. Dominicans should be honored to be a part of it.
No thanks. West Indians should be honored if we attend.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:49 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
You're missing the point. We have OUR OWN PARADE. People go to parades that represents them, if it wasn't like this, you'd have many whites and asians in the PR parade. The West Indian parade is a nationalistic parade, unlike the Macy's parade where everyone goes. Dominicans are Dominicans first, which is why we go to our parade. No reason to go to the West Indian parade when it's in the middle of nowhere, and after attending a parade that actually showcased our culture, rather than maybe one float in the WI parade. Not to mention most Dominican's don't even identify with West Indian, as with Cubans and PR.

Why wouldn't we go to our countries parade? I feel no cultural similarities with Jamaicans, Barbados, Trinidadians, Guyanese etc ...the only country I feel a little something for, and I stress a little, is Haiti, due to our history, locations, and the going back and forth. But the brotherhood with Haiti is still less than the ones with Puerto Ricans and Cubans. Anyways, I don't know of any Dominicans who go to the hispanic parade, I didn't even know there was one. The only parade Dominicans go to are the various Dominican parades throughout the city and the Puerto Rican parade.

Hate much? The West Indian parade is a parade consisting of many countries. Including some Dominicans and Ricans who do attend. The Dominican parade is just one country. How are you comparing? Even then, nobody knows about that West Indian stuff. Most people know about the Dominican parade, especially hispanics who go just to bag the girls.

Your delusional west indian culture is way bigger than dominican culture in nyc. Jamaican culture alone is bigger than dominican culture in NYC. Why should west indians be honored? theirs is the biggest parade in the country

As far as bagging girls i would rather go to the west indian day parade, where the girls are half naked

Old 02-22-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Your delusional west indian culture is way bigger than dominican culture in nyc. Jamaican culture alone is bigger than dominican culture in NYC. Why should west indians be honored? theirs is the biggest parade in the country

As far as bagging girls i would rather go to the west indian day parade, where the girls are half naked
No sir, you are wrong. Jamaicans are much much less in numbers than Dominicans. When Jamaicans start having their own parades, their music playing on various radio stations, their music being played in Mexican, Colombian, Ecuadorian, Peruvian, Salvadorean etc clubs, City streets named after their important historical figures (St. Nicholas Ave aka Juan Pablo Duarte BlVD), schools named after important figures (Hostos), have their language affect slang in other speakers (Like Dominican spanish influences all spanish speakers) then you could talk.

All I know about Jamaicans in the city is beef patty and Bob Marley. Where are there any Jamaicans left anyways? lol they all got locked up and deported for drug trafficking , meanwhile your very own borough is run by the people you love to hate.

Also tell me when they start holding any political clout in this city.

No diversity in those West Indian parades. It's black, black, and blacker. I'll stick with my Dominicans.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,415,956 times
Quote:

actually for a parade that isnt in manhattan the west indian is known by the majority of people.

bloomberg always attends and their are many travelers who visit the parade.

The west indian parade cause insane traffic on the weekend before its celebration just from people coming all over the states to participate.

Also west indian day parade is the largest parade in nyc. I find it hard to believe not so many people know about it.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
No sir, you are wrong. Jamaicans are much much less in numbers than Dominicans. When Jamaicans start having their own parades, their music playing on various radio stations, their music being played in Mexican, Colombian, Ecuadorian, Peruvian, Salvadorean etc clubs, City streets named after their important historical figures (St. Nicholas Ave aka Juan Pablo Duarte BlVD), schools named after important figures (Hostos), have their language affect slang in other speakers (Like Dominican spanish influences all spanish speakers) then you could talk.

All I know about Jamaicans in the city is beef patty and Bob Marley. Where are there any Jamaicans left anyways? lol they all got locked up and deported for drug trafficking , meanwhile your very own borough is run by the people you love to hate.

Also tell me when they start holding any political clout in this city.

No diversity in those West Indian parades. It's black, black, and blacker. I'll stick with my Dominicans.

theirs no diversity at the west indian parade? lmaoooo omg next year im taking pics because this by far is the biggest bs ever.

west indian parade is filled with indo - west indies, black west indies. thousands of white visitors and the west indies has plenty of mixed people who look just as light as Hispanics who attend.

Also their are plenty of Asians who attend the parade to. I think you need to stop describing the parade if you have never been their.

I have been going since 2006 and this by far is a very wrong post.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycjowww View Post
actually for a parade that isnt in manhattan the west indian is known by the majority of people.

bloomberg always attends and their are many travelers who visit the parade.

The west indian parade cause insane traffic on the weekend before its celebration just from people coming all over the states to participate.

Also west indian day parade is the largest parade in nyc. I find it hard to believe not so many people know about it.
Bloomberg attends the DR parade too. Aswell as the Police commissioner and other important figures. Trust me, up here, no one knows about it.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:19 PM

And also supermario most west indians aside from haitians are clueless about Dominicans just like you guys are clueless about them so why would they be honored for your Dominicans coming to the parade?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Bloomberg attends the DR parade too. Aswell as the Police commissioner and other important figures. Trust me, up here, no one knows about it.
thats not the point. I know this already but you said that the west indian prade isnt know by much....are you insane? lmaooo biggest parade in nyc with visitors who come from all over the state.

Flatbush , Crown heights , and east flatbush all become more clogged then manhattan on a labor day weekend lol.

and off coarse no1 in washington heights knows about. You practically live in a super segregated neighborhood. 70 percent dominican? Yea it makes sense thats a lot of people up their dont know about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City