Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 10:16 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times

Advertisements

i wouldnt squander the entire amount but i would enjoy some of it.

with that being said you can start off with the usual suspects on 5th avenue:

saks
fendi
louis vuitton
burberry
gucci like mentioned before
prada (i dont really like their clothes), they make nice footwear

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 11:17 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Go to a nice store like JCrew or Banana Republic that I'm guessing is higher-end than you usually shop. Tell them you have $1,000 or $1,500 or whatever and that you want a new wardrobe. A personal shopper should easily be able to select 10-20 stylish items that you can mix-and-match for years to come. Then, stop by Saks or Bergdorf and buy a really nice pair of shoes- Ferragamo or Gucci are great picks for qualify, a nice tie or two (if you'd ever wear them), and maybe a good camel-hair dress coat for winter. You should be able to pick up one on sale in January or early February thar is classic and will last for 20-30 years. This whole shopping excursion will cost under $3,000.

Unless you are ready to drop $10,000-20,000, you still really can't afford the designer stores like Prada or Louis Vuitton or Gucci or Hermes. A sportcoat averages $2,000-3,000. Dress shirts run $500-1,000 a piece. Even a wallet is $500+. If you want something "status" - not logo'd out, just something where you can say "thanks, it's Gucci"....do it with a tie or shoes. Don't bother wasting your inheritance on Prada dress shirts and slacks. It's unlikely anyone in your everyday life will appreciate it. A well-dressed man, they CAN appreciate. And you can accomplish that goal at a Banana Republic or JCrew.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:45 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
^^^^ Totally agree!!! To the OP: You don't have to spend a fortune on clothing to look nice. I suggested the outlets, but I think J Crew or Banana Republic might be a better idea. Gap also has some nice jackets, similar to the one in the pic you posted.

Don't blow all this money on clothing. I'm sure your Aunt who left you the money wouldn't have wanted that..

Old 12-26-2010, 06:00 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Theory also has some sharp looking pieces.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,751 times
You can also make an appt with a personal shopper at one of the nicer department stores. The service is free and they will pick items that work for you that are from various brands and designers. I would recommend going to the nearest major Nordstrom's near you.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
The only thing that is as bad as putting clothes and stuff on credit cards is blowing a chunk of capital on perishable goods. Invest the inheritance and then buy yourself something when it has generated some income.
Lumps of capital are hard to come by.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:28 PM

Something seemed weird about OP and by reading his other posts, I figured it out: OP is a TEENAGER.

OP, you need to SAVE this money. Quite frankly, you're too young to blow a lot of money on "designer" clothes. If you needed a professional wardrobe, that would br one thing. But you need to get through high school, college, and start a career. Who knows where along that path you'll need auntie's inheritance- for tuition, for books, to study abroad, to pay for flights to fly to internship or job interviews, for a deposit on your own apartment, etc.

I promise, if you blow this money on clothes, your adult self will probably never forgive you. Most peoe only see a tiny inheritance once in their lives - if at all- so take care of your windfall and it will take care of you.

Take a small piece of it- say 5-10%- and blow it on ONE item. Then put the rest of that money in a savings account, money market account, or Roth IRA and DO NOT TOUCH IT until a real want/need comes along.

Old 12-27-2010, 09:22 AM

1,103 posts, read 2,262,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyctc7 View Post
OT, but with banks paying virtually zero percent on savings, and CDs in the 1%-2.5% range (depending on length of maturity) I would definitely invest in the stock market right now. Don't necessarily heed a message board poster like myself, of course, but I like Citibank (Citigroup) right now. It's under 5 bucks a share and I think has a positive outlook. But there are plenty of good companies out there.

Heck, even Con Edison stock pays a bigger dividend than banks will pay on a CD. Their current dividend yield is 4.8%!
really, that's it? does that depend on how much money the bank gets? say if i inherited $100 million, would i get a higher percentage in interest in a cd account because it's so much vs. if i inherited $100,000 and put it into a cd account? does the bank offer higher interest rates to accounts with more money?

Old 12-27-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
really, that's it? does that depend on how much money the bank gets? say if i inherited $100 million, would i get a higher percentage in interest in a cd account because it's so much vs. if i inherited $100,000 and put it into a cd account? does the bank offer higher interest rates to accounts with more money?

The interest rate usually varies by CD term, not the amount you put into CD's. The longer the term (say, 3 or 5 years vs 6 months), the higher the annual interest rate.

Also, you'd be a fool to put $100M into CD's as the accounts are only FDIC insured up to $250,000.

As I said, it's best to educate yourself on your investment options and make a wise decision with your inheritance than blow it on a tacky Gucci logo jacket.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:45 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times
^^^^ Not to mention, if this person had $100M, they would have a financial advisor helping them to create a diversified portfolio --- stocks, bonds, CDs, cash, gold, investment properties, etc.

As for the OP, he only has a few thousand. If I only had that amount of money, I would put it into a CD. The return may be smaller but at least it's a guaranteed return unlike the stock market where you can invest $1K and have $200 left in 6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City