Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:10 PM

326 posts, read 813,620 times

Advertisements

im a college student trying to figure out where i should move...right now i live in georgia and hate it and want to move. I have already been to Florida and Newyork and like both the same but i can decide which one i'd rather move to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 AM

961 posts, read 2,464,082 times
Moved to NYC from Florida, can't stand living in Florida. But the two places are so different it really depends on the person and what they like and value. Can you tell a little bit more about yourself?

Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 AM

769 posts, read 2,050,671 times
Are you going to move when you are done with college? The big thing to keep in mind is the cost of living in NYC. I have lived in Florida and NYC- very different in many ways. Weather, transportation, income, cost of living, housing, etc. You should not move to NYC until you're done with college, have a job lined up, and $10,000 in the bank.

In Florida with good credit you can rent an apartment with no deposit and sometimes your first month is free. In NYC you'll need to pay 1-2 months deposit, first month, maybe last month, and maybe a broker's fee to move in (this means 2-6 months of rent depending on deposit and broker's fee).

Old 01-02-2011, 09:59 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
That's comparing apples to oranges....literally

Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times
Which is better? What do you mean by better? The place you'd rather be is better.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:11 PM

383 posts, read 1,315,706 times
Honestly kid move to FL. I've been to West Palm Beach, Jacksonville, and Tampa. Living seems easy, lots of white people(mostly old people who left the crazy living of NY). Living seems good down there. The winters down there only last like three months to four months. You don't really have to worry about hoods or what areas to stay out of(besides Orlando and miami). Ny is just to much. Coming from someone whos lived NY all there life. It aint all its cracked up to be. Nice for outsiders to vist but not to live.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:03 PM

233 posts, read 720,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
Living seems good down there. The winters down there only last like three months to four months. You don't really have to worry about hoods or what areas to stay out of(besides Orlando and miami)
Living is easy down here (West Palm Beach area) and there is basically no winter in southeast Florida. I've been here about 18 years and it's NEVER snowed, never had frost on my car, and rarely gets below 50 degrees in the winter. Typically, December - March are the coldest with daily highs in the low 80s and nighttime lows in the 60s. I don't own a winter jacket, boots, gloves, etc. no need for it here. It truly is paradise for 1/2 the year.

Summers on the other hand can be very very hot and humid. Generally, May - October the daily highs are in the low 90s and nighttime lows in the mid 80s and about 90% humidity. It can be truly oppressive after a while.

As far as Orlando and Miami being the only places to stay out of, I'm not sure about that. I've been all over the state and prefer the SE Florida, probably because many NY transplants and generally more urban than other parts of Florida (e.g. west coast).

Old 01-02-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_boy View Post
Living is easy down here (West Palm Beach area) and there is basically no winter in southeast Florida. I've been here about 18 years and it's NEVER snowed, never had frost on my car, and rarely gets below 50 degrees in the winter. Typically, December - March are the coldest with daily highs in the low 80s and nighttime lows in the 60s. I don't own a winter jacket, boots, gloves, etc. no need for it here. It truly is paradise for 1/2 the year.
I find what you say a Lie, due to the fact that i have family that live in the Royal Palm Beach area of West Palm and have seen temps in the low 30s and high 20s in just this past winter alone. I myself was in west palm last years for a week in Januray. I was expecteing 50s as lows and 70s and 80s for highs. Insted for the whole week i was there i got 30s and 40s at night and 50s and 60s in the day. The weather your talking about could be seen mabe in cuba or jamaica, but SE FL does have winter. It mabe short lived but they do have winter. Place like Jacksonville has 32 days on avg below freezing temps. You sir don't live in FL. I don't even there and i know they have winters. Nothing like NY, but they have them.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 PM

Also i found a videos on youtube of freezing weather in west palm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAxdXXn9B30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwArh...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz-e-rTnYUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4Xd...eature=related

Old 01-02-2011, 07:38 PM

233 posts, read 720,483 times
bkvillian, after reading your post I'm SERIOUSLY seconded guessing my decision to accept a job in NYC.

You're a tool! Jacksonville is NO where near south Florida. Ask your relatives in RPB or get a map.

Also, take a look at the weather data, right here on this website!!!

http://www.city-data.com/city/West-Palm-Beach-Florida.html

Scroll down and look at the average temperature pictures. The pictures should be easy enough for you to understand.

Just because you came to Florida and it was unusually cold that week, doesn't make it cold here all the time. There is NO winter here. I don't lie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City