Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:36 PM

661 posts, read 1,247,630 times

Advertisements

I'm of college age. I have doubts I could make it in NYC without a handout from mommy or the government, etc. is it just that rough to live and go to college there or just about the same anywhere else? I was a former Chicago resident, the colleges there look rough (car and foot traffic, cliquey crowd, segregation, pageantry, high school, etc.) I guess it's like this everywhere, but from my experience the bigger the place the more drama has to be dealt with. I hope this is not true with NYC.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:58 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I paid $275/mo for my share of rent in a 4 bedroom rental home in a nice part of the town I went to college in. You sure as heck can't get that in NYC. Living expenses are so high there and jobs are hard to find because bars/ restaurants/ retailers want people with "NYC" bar/restaurant/retail experience.

So yea, unless you're independently wealthy, it's a lot harder/more expensive to go to school in NYC than most other places.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:35 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,589,334 times
If a part of you is competitive and likes "a challenge", then remind yourself: Tons of people try it. Some succeed. Some fail.

That might get your juices flowing.

However, if the pure education is what drives you and you don't want to attend 2 schools (your school of choice plus the school of reality/hard knocks), I'd say you'll find the survival stuff distracting and/or very very depressing, unless you can modify the mental stuff and find a competitive seed within. Basically when you go to school here, you're attending 2 schools. Your real school and the school of real life/hard knocks.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:11 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,695,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I'm of college age. I have doubts I could make it in NYC without a handout from mommy or the government, etc. is it just that rough to live and go to college there or just about the same anywhere else? I was a former Chicago resident, the colleges there look rough (car and foot traffic, cliquey crowd, segregation, pageantry, high school, etc.) I guess it's like this everywhere, but from my experience the bigger the place the more drama has to be dealt with. I hope this is not true with NYC.
I mean you could try to stay on campus on one of the colleges in NYC.. But if you really want to study here you can do it. In life anything is possible, just put your mind to it. I'm from the Bronx, from the South Bronx if you should say. And I manage to complete my Master's degree in computer security, and I did it. Where I am from there are many people that are not doing anything with their lives etc etc.. I have seen and heard people getting shot. This did not stop me, I went on and got my master's degree. So if you really want to study in NYC you should do it and do not let anything stop you from achieving on what you want. Sometimes things will get rocky in life, but you must persevere on what you want. It is like the civil rights people. For example, Martin Luther King. He fought for the Black people to be freed and for equal treatment. If he would not have persevered the Black people and the other minority would have had been freed like they are today. Just keep pushing until you get there. If you have anymore questions please let us know.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:24 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,023 times
It depends on the school. A lot of people post on this board about moving to New York to go to a community college. I think it's a bad idea. Community colleges are not of a quality to merit the added expense of living in the city. There is absolutely no point of going into debt to attend a school like LaGuardia, or even Hunter.

New York will still be here in a few years. I would recommend getting the best education you can afford without going into a mountain of debt and then move.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:42 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,139 times
FWIW, I went to college in Ohio, then came to NYC for my second degree. College in Ohio was very cliquey as many people knew each other from HS and tried to keep those ties. When I came to NY everyone I was attending school with pretty much had relocated on their own for school and many people where international. Since no one had any friends everyone was able to make friends. That was one aspect I really liked about it.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:25 PM

35 posts, read 75,807 times
Live on campus.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 PM

80 posts, read 400,211 times
not too rough, just too expensive.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
NYC is a great place for college. I came here to go to college and it changed my life.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:01 AM

661 posts, read 1,247,630 times
yeah this makes sense. I was living in Chicago, I saw that big crowded cities look like school is hard to go to with the parking fees that can pile up to $40 a day! Depending on how many hours you go to school for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSSC View Post
Live on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City