Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 05:18 PM

9 posts, read 51,101 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am an asian girl who goes to school, normally using subway.
I just found the place and options were quite good; affordable rent, quite close to the 6train station, and the room is quite spacious for myself.
I've been searching and reading loads about east harlem but I still want to get more opinions from more people.
I've walked around there though it was during the day, it was fine i think.

I want to hear from residents who really are living in east harlem as well as people who have ever heard about the neighborhood most recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 05:39 PM

24 posts, read 95,292 times
The Neighborhood is actually quite nice. Take a stroll down to 96st street and you have bars,restaurants, and shopping without having to pay the renting price. I used to live in the projects on 3rd and 103rd and I never thought there to be a problem. It was nice to walk a couple aves and be in Central park. Give it a couple of years and it will become part of the "Upper East Side"

Old 01-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Thank you so much for your comment. I really hope I could get along with my neighborhood! Now I am living in Brooklyn and I love hanging out around here.. but many people say I should not hang out at late night around in east harlem because it's dangerous. Is it ok to walk alone at night?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:02 PM

37 posts, read 104,684 times
A year ago, before things in my life changed in a big way, I was living at 101st & 1st. The apartment itself was great - awesome view of the East River, a high floor, and a whole lot of space. It wasn't THAT bad, most of the time. However, living there was the only time I felt unsafe in this city. One night I was walking just a half block away to get a Pepsi, and on my way back to my place someone accosted me from behind, poked something into me that he said was a gun, and told me to hand over all my money. My stupid adrenaline rush allowed me to punch the guy and run away (which I shouldn't have done, but whatever), but it really made the rest of my time living in that area a completely different experience. I was afraid to go out at night. I looked at everyone with caution. I know it "could have happened anywhere," but it happened in East Harlem. Sure, it's possible to live there without going through something like that, and it is pretty quick to get to all the hot spots in Manhattan. But you do have to be careful.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:12 PM

49 posts, read 107,634 times
I think it's safe in the day but I wouldn't walk around at night alone being a woman. It's surrounded by projects which aren't the safest places. I live in the ues and used to walk up to 107 often for exercise. I definitely stuck out but no one bothered me and I felt fine. That said I would avoid it at night. Think stray bullets, muggings, etc. I did live in a similar area in my early 20's and nothing really happened to me but it was a risk I felt fine taking, back then, I wouldn't now. I was followed home one night but I managed to make many turns and run away. I also always walked with my keys poking through my knuckles just in case.

The person who said that the area will soon be considered 'the ues' is confussed. Yes, everyone wants that to happen but unless the projects leave it isn't going to happen.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdude04 View Post
A year ago, before things in my life changed in a big way, I was living at 101st & 1st. The apartment itself was great - awesome view of the East River, a high floor, and a whole lot of space. It wasn't THAT bad, most of the time. However, living there was the only time I felt unsafe in this city. One night I was walking just a half block away to get a Pepsi, and on my way back to my place someone accosted me from behind, poked something into me that he said was a gun, and told me to hand over all my money. My stupid adrenaline rush allowed me to punch the guy and run away (which I shouldn't have done, but whatever), but it really made the rest of my time living in that area a completely different experience. I was afraid to go out at night. I looked at everyone with caution. I know it "could have happened anywhere," but it happened in East Harlem. Sure, it's possible to live there without going through something like that, and it is pretty quick to get to all the hot spots in Manhattan. But you do have to be careful.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I won't definitely want to go out and come home late.. but with schooling and stuff.. well. I have to live with that cos I already paid for contract T_T
I will try my best to love it living there and pray for my safeness..... haha

Old 01-16-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citygirl567 View Post
I think it's safe in the day but I wouldn't walk around at night alone being a woman. It's surrounded by projects which aren't the safest places. I live in the ues and used to walk up to 107 often for exercise. I definitely stuck out but no one bothered me and I felt fine. That said I would avoid it at night. Think stray bullets, muggings, etc. I did live in a similar area in my early 20's and nothing really happened to me but it was a risk I felt fine taking, back then, I wouldn't now. I was followed home one night but I managed to make many turns and run away. I also always walked with my keys poking through my knuckles just in case.

The person who said that the area will soon be considered 'the ues' is confussed. Yes, everyone wants that to happen but unless the projects leave it isn't going to happen.
Thank you for your tips! Thank God I walk really fast. I will be just running all over whenever I have to go out a bit late... hah.
I think the fact that I shouldn't go out late will make my GPA better.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:43 PM

194 posts, read 1,202,534 times
Keep in mind the 2nd ave subway construction will be starting up there eventually if it hasn't already, so it might get noisy at times.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinidorry View Post
Keep in mind the 2nd ave subway construction will be starting up there eventually if it hasn't already, so it might get noisy at times.
Thank you for you advice. It will be alright as long as the train runs.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyunies View Post
Thank you for you advice. It will be alright as long as the train runs.
It will be many years before the subway runs on 2nd Avenue. It's new construction, not work on an existing subway line. Lexington Avenue is the furthest east line in that area right now.

If you are out very late at night, take a cab. If you want a less expensive cab ride, you can take the subway to the UES, get out at 96th, or below, and then take a cab the rest of the way home. It's much safer than walking through East Harlem at night.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City