Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 PM

334 posts, read 851,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
I would rather save $1000 a month and live 10 minutes outside of the city in Queens, Brooklyn or Jersey. You could end up living closer to the places you hang out in the city than if you actually had to pick a neighborhood within the city that was in your budget. Personally, I can only take so much Manhattan in my life, I like to come home to a nice serene, quiet neighborhood with trees - and I only live 3 stops outside of the city.
This is a really good point. It can often be quicker to get to some points in Manhattan from NJ & other boroughs than from within Manhattan. Also, New Yorkers often make fun of NJ, so when my husband was looking at a job in lower Manhattan, we were surprised to find that there are some really cool places in NJ along the train line. And there are lots of ethnic enclaves in NJ, Brooklyn & Queens that have interesting shops & restaurants. I love Manhattan, but I find that a lot of the outlying areas are more interesting in a day-to-day living sort of way and more down to earth too. NYC can be so many different things - if you are flexible, it may be more doable than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 PM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetBAller85 View Post
im getting sick of seeing your posts. they never say anything where are you from anyways
Washington DC born and raised

What year were you born?

1985?

Old 02-03-2011, 02:33 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,810,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolwaves View Post
Your Pay Check Results Bi-weekly Gross Pay
$3,846.15 Federal Withholding
$808.81 Social Security
$161.54 Medicare
$55.77 New York
$230.73 NY SDI
$1.20
$384.62
$2,203.48 Net Pay
2011 Gross Pay
$100,000.00 Pay Frequency
Bi-weekly Federal Filing Status
Single # of Federal Exemptions
0 Additional Federal W/H
$0.00 State
New York Filing status
Single Allowances
0 Additional State W/H
$0.00 NY SDI
Yes NYC Allowances
10%

I overestimated on my earlier post. I got this from paycheck.com calculator assuming a 10% 401K withholding. No insurance withheld.
That site is bsh*t!

How is it that Federal Withholding is greater than Net Pay???

@biskit

Unless there is a serious purpose, earning 100K plus and living in a $1400 NYC apartment is a joke. The place is a DUMP, and FAR from" comfortable!! Nothing wrong in making such a choice, but not even close to meeting the OP's requirement.

Again, there's the "subjective".

You apparrently find that lifestyle "comfortable", many would not.

Also, I'd argue your list items, but the one that jumps out is $50 for electricity. That's a VERY small apt with few electronics. The OP is suggesting a "comfortable" 1bdrm and surely the usual array of upper middle electronics.

@Turtlecreek

Yours is a female perspective, but it leaves out a man paying for the bulk of your entertainment expenses. That's the thing about that TV show, it never showed the men paying the tab, nor buying the ladies regular 'gifts'. Of course, I'm generalizing, but in reality their are MANY Holly Golightly types in this city(, and they're usually not wives!).

Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 AM

468 posts, read 1,337,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
That site is bsh*t!

@biskit

Unless there is a serious purpose, earning 100K plus and living in a $1400 NYC apartment is a joke. The place is a DUMP, and FAR from" comfortable!! Nothing wrong in making such a choice, but not even close to meeting the OP's requirement.

Again, there's the "subjective".

You apparrently find that lifestyle "comfortable", many would not.

Also, I'd argue your list items, but the one that jumps out is $50 for electricity. That's a VERY small apt with few electronics. The OP is suggesting a "comfortable" 1bdrm and surely the usual array of upper middle electronics.

@Turtlecreek

Yours is a female perspective, but it leaves out a man paying for the bulk of your entertainment expenses. That's the thing about that TV show, it never showed the men paying the tab, nor buying the ladies regular 'gifts'. Of course, I'm generalizing, but in reality their are MANY Holly Golightly types in this city(, and they're usually not wives!).
People move to NYC because of what they have seen in TV shows?

Old 02-03-2011, 06:56 AM

110 posts, read 219,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WASHINGTON BULLET View Post
People move to NYC because of what they have seen in TV shows?

Yeah, as stupid as it may sound, they do.

Old 02-03-2011, 09:45 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
That site is bsh*t!

I reformatted the paycheckcity.com so you can read it better: Bi-weekly gross pay is $3846. Fed W/H is $808.81...make better sense now???

Originally Posted by coolwaves
Your Pay Check Results:
Bi-weekly Gross Pay
$3,846.15

Federal Withholding
$808.81

Social Security
$161.54

Medicare
$55.77

New York
$230.73

NY SDI
$1.20

401(k)- 10%
$384.62

$2,203.48 Net Pay

Criteria for Net Pay:
2011 Gross Pay
$100,000.00

Pay Frequency
Bi-weekly

Federal Filing Status
Single

# of Federal Exemptions

Additional Federal W/H
$0.00

State
New York

Filing status
Single

Allowances

Additional State W/H
$0.00

NY SDI
Yes

NYC Allowances

Old 02-03-2011, 09:51 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Quote:
@Turtlecreek
Huh? How in the world did you get that out of my post?

I moved out of the city a few years ago, but when I was single in NYC, I paid for 99.9% of my living & entertainment expenses-> the .1% being random drinks here & there bought by guys in bars or the occasional dinner date.

Had two major relationships in the city- 1, we split almost everything (dinners, vacations, etc) 50/50 becasue we were just starting out and made similar salaries. 2, he made significatnly more than I did (like my salary with an extra "0" at the end) and he liked to- and could afford to- do very nice things (weekends in Nantucket with his family, dinners at 11 Madison & Babbo, etc) so we did. Not every guy in Manhattan- or NYC- is a zillionaire, many make similar salaries to the women they date and would be pinched to be a regular at Barney's buying gifts for the ladies.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:22 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
$250,000

Old 03-03-2011, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 21,951 times
I'm forty-one and I live in TriBeCa on 80k/yr (that's from very safe investments. Currently I'm non-employed). That's barely enough. Indeed, life would be much less stressful, if I had 100k (and it would be terrific if I had 200k). I rent a 575 sq ft studio for 2150, but my neighborhood is one of the two or three priciest in the city. I rarely dine out (once maybe twice a week). But I buy organic food at Whole Foods, which isn't cheap. I spend 180 a month to be a member of Equinox. I spend about 1k a year on shoes (one pair dress shoes, one pair zip boots and one pair of sneakers) and and another 2k on clothing (saks sale suit, barneys sale blazer, jeans, bluefly theory shirts). Also, I spend about 450 a year on running shoes and about 20 dollars a week on protein powder. I just laid out 3k for furniture, but that's a once a decade investment.

I do not have enough money to travel and I do not have a car. I'm single, but I date rarely. Dating can easily cost over 200 dollars a week in Manhattan (being in a relationship is much cheaper). I'm a guy, so I pay. If I were younger, dates would be cheaper (and I'd still be living in Williamsburg). Also, travel would be cheaper, because I'd sleep on the beach. At my age, I want nice sheets.

I don't take cabs. Cabs can bankrupt you fast. 30 dollars a day easy. if you take two trips a day, that's almost 11k/year.

I get by on 80k, but I'm not even remotely content with it.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:02 PM

6 posts, read 21,951 times
addendum

on 80k I'm not saving ANYTHING. nada. zilch. i expect to inherit a some nice money, so I don't have to worry about retirement planning. however, if you have to worry about that, you need to earn closer to 150k/yr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City