Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times

Advertisements

NYC has long been where you go when you don't fit in.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:11 AM

22 posts, read 48,405 times
There really isn't much I can say that the other posters on here haven't mentioned. If I could go back and do things all over again myself I would have gone to Columbia in a heartbeat. It's like one of the best places you could possibly go- you're both in NYC, with all of its economic opportunity AND you're at an Ivy League school. If you can't see the advantages in that you really should take a second look. And the subway was tricky for me too at first. You ride it for a week and it becomes normal, just like anything else.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM

68 posts, read 110,094 times
I am torn between the two. I also have a scholarship that will pay half of my tuition if I attend the University of Arkansas in Little Rock which is also great. Both have their pros and cons. I think that livingin NY might be a little too rough for me especially when I finish my education at Columbia and cannot find a job that can pay the 7k rent of a Manhattan apartment every month. Again, I do not know how anyone could live here unless they are very rich. While in Arkansas I can be close to family and friends with aprtments that actually have affordable rents. Columbia is a white school while in Arkansas there are more black students and historically black universities where people speak English. I guess I can always hang out in Harlem, but I am a little concerned about safety at night. In NY even riding the subway is expensive and on top of that confusing, I felt like I was in a maze. NYC is nice to visit but not to live, unless you are filthy rich. Even the hair salons and spas (which I frequent) are terribly expensive while in Arkansas they can do my hair probably just as good and it is way cheaper with friendly people that I have known for years. I am stuck, I really don't know which one to pick.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:44 AM

68 posts, read 110,094 times
Also I do not know anyone in NY all my friends and family are in either Arkansas,Louisiana, Mississippi or Texas. Too bad I would move to Texas in heartbeat.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:53 AM

996 posts, read 1,897,789 times
Uh...I'd pick Columbia is a heartbeat. (Well, I lived in NYC for many years so it'd be easier for me)

Old 02-20-2011, 08:16 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
I think that livingin NY might be a little too rough for me especially when I finish my education at Columbia and cannot find a job that can pay the 7k rent of a Manhattan apartment every month. Again, I
do not know how anyone could live here unless they are very rich.
Do you really think that everyone here pays $7k in rent?! Um, try 1/7th of that, for most folks! There are many neighborhoods and places where people live quite well for about $1k per month in rent. Of course, there are certainly apartments that cost $7k per month or even triple that, but *why* do you think that's your only option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaintedLove View Post
I guess I can always hang out in Harlem, but I am a little concerned about safety at night. In NY even riding the subway is expensive and on top of that confusing, I felt like I was in a maze..
You're worried about your safety? Weren't you telling us how you're black and you'd fit in just fine in East New York? Harlem is a cakewalk compared to ENY!

A monthly unlimited subway pass is $104. How much is your car payment, insurance, maintenance?

There's no way University of Arkansas-Little Rock is even remotely comparable to Columbia. I really hope you think about what's best for you long-term, even if it means slight discomfort at first. Plus, college is only four years. If you (still) dislike the city after school, you can move.

As many others have said, you're in an extremely enviable position. People kill for the opportunity you have right now.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
I'm torn on this one. Yes, Columbia would be the proper place to go to get a great education, challenging life experiences and create a top-notch network. On the other hand, there are many college freshman who cannot hack freshman year for some reason (culture shock, home sick, can't manage the schoolwork on their own without parents' support, get involved with partying, etc.) and perhaps OP knows herself well enough to know she would be extremely unhappy at Columbia.

A very unhappy person is not going to be successful. There is no reason why she can't go where she is comfortable and still have a decent life, perhaps one that fits her better than having to deal with the challenge and stress of ivy league and the big city.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:16 AM

756 posts, read 2,279,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
A very unhappy person is not going to be successful. There is no reason why she can't go where she is comfortable and still have a decent life, perhaps one that fits her better than having to deal with the challenge and stress of ivy league and the big city.
True, I generally agree, but I also don't know if two visits are enough to make a fair judgment of the city.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:18 AM

541 posts, read 1,902,875 times
Moderator cut: Personal attack

Also about the subways....seriously?!?!? If you were smart enough to get into Columbia, then you are more than qualified to figure out how to ride the subways. If immigrants who don't even speak english can find their way around the city on the subway, then you can too.

As a side note how does one get a full scholarship to one of the top universities in the country, but only gets a partial scholarship to a crap university like University of Arkansas-Litle Rock? I think you are nuts if you pass up Columbia.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 02-25-2011 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 02-20-2011, 09:24 AM

769 posts, read 2,051,455 times
How can you possibly even consider going to University of Arkansas when you have a full ride to Columbia? But as someone said above, who gets a full ride to Columbia but only a half scholarship to some no name school like Arkansas? Maybe you really don't have a full ride to Columbia.

And who said your rent is going to be $7k a month? Are you planning on renting a 2,000 square foot apartment in a doorman building right after you graduate? I live in a doorman building and the most expensive apartment here rents for $5k.

You really need to listen to the advice of those of us that could not afford to go to an Ivy League school. It makes a huge difference. For a lot of good jobs in my field I could not even be considered without a degree from a top 20 university. My friends that went to Ivy League schools got job offers right out of college making easily 50% more than me for the same job, because they got recruited by the Fortune 100s and I did not.

There will be tons of things that you will never have the chance to experience if you choose Arkansas over Columbia. And I promise you 5-10 years after you graduate you will really be regretting it. I still wish I had found a way to make it work and go to NYU or Columbia, but at the time I figured if I borrowed so much for undergrad I would not be able to go to grad school. Back then I did not realize how much of a difference it really makes, and now I am paying for that decision.

Last edited by newyorker24; 02-20-2011 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City