Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to New York City from DC, Manhattan middle class neighborhood for single college educated heterosexual male, affordable studio apartment, no gays or housing projects

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:18 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
i understand your argument, and i think it is a good one if i were advocating government controlled housing. however, that is not what i advocate. additionally, i do not want to cease all construction. i do think we need to think about preserving undeveloped areas, though. i advocate responsible building. build with a thought towards something beyond short-term gains.

That's fine, but ultamitely, it's about making money. Granted, that shouldn't be an excuse to put up any **** you can put together, but at the end of the day, it's about the nuts and bolts of it all.

People forget, NY is a high tax state. Frankly, I support gentrification for one (selfish) reason that maybe it will push some of the welfare-class into climates where they'll actually have to work. We spend twice as much per capita on Meidicaid alone than any other state. There's no excuse to have a bigger state budget than some countries.

But getting back on track here: The taxes are just the beginning. Add in insane unions (not that I don't support union pay scales mind you) rules and regualtions and then the years of ligitgation and communtiy opinion (read: kickbacks) just to get the shovel in the ground.

In short, the same building in Arizona nets me 2-3 times more in profit than NYC before the first brick is even laid. And then people have no clue why ****'s so expensive.

I would like to go back to the old days where we could build 8-9 story tenements along subway lines. That would be more than enough to support population growth.

As for your rants about Midwest/Hipsters/whatever, I don't condone their cultural mores, but they're going to be whoever they're going to be weither they live in NYC or not. Face it, these are your "fellow Americans". We could get into a long discussion onto how this country got this way, but that is neither here nor there. My issue is your more than willing to chastize hipsters who are willing to live in the ghetto, than your fellow italians who abandon perfectly good neighborhoods in the name of greed and materialism. At the end of the day, they (the hipsters) live in NYC, you don't. Whatever you think of who they are as people or a group, that fact right there makes them more a part of the city than you or your fellow white flight refugees. Don't like it? take back the hoods for yourself. End of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 07:02 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
I would like to go back to the old days where we could build 8-9 story tenements along subway lines. That would be more than enough to support population growth.

what are you babbling about?
there is/was no such thing as an 8 or 9 story tenement, they were usually 3 stories sometimes 4 and even a few 5s but those were new law ones and not tenements in the strict sense.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:25 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
what are you babbling about?
there is/was no such thing as an 8 or 9 story tenement, they were usually 3 stories sometimes 4 and even a few 5s but those were new law ones and not tenements in the strict sense.

Uhhh, okay. . "Apartment building" sound better?

Old 07-23-2007, 09:53 AM

203 posts, read 852,763 times
Straightshooter....I found your comments about midwesterners a little offensive as well. However, I always appreciate honest discussion, and, since you called me 'baby' on another thread...and I kind of liked it...I'll let you slide. I don't like to think of myself as having no culture because I'm American.....do you want a NYC with no Americans?

Old 07-23-2007, 11:58 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briarwood View Post
Uhhh, okay. . "Apartment building" sound better?
the were few if any 8 or 9 story APARTMENT buildings built next to the elevated lines, most were old law tenements

Old 07-24-2007, 08:49 AM

314 posts, read 492,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlost View Post
Straightshooter....I found your comments about midwesterners a little offensive as well. However, I always appreciate honest discussion, and, since you called me 'baby' on another thread...and I kind of liked it...I'll let you slide. I don't like to think of myself as having no culture because I'm American.....do you want a NYC with no Americans?
hahaa...well, i'm glad to read that i'm still in your good graces, baby (trying to stay there). first, i'll address the american culture issue. i don't have a good idea of what defines 'american culture.' i would guess that it has something to do with rugged individualism and the entreprenurial spirit. while i feel that the pioneering days of rugged individualism have passed and that americans could do with more communal sentiment, i do honor the entreprenurial spirit. i think the creativity, courage, and work ethic that comprises the entreprenurial spirit are laudable and should be encouraged and will serve the person well, regardless of whether he/she winds-up starting a business. second, i don't know whether midwesterners as a whole possess american culture or not. but, the midwesterners that i was referring to do not. there is no american-mystique or cultural beauty to self-absorbed, image-is-everything, rampantly greedy people, wherever they are from. if that's what americans have become, then no...i don't want them here. i know that plenty of insiders are like this, too. i don't like them, either. but, many outsiders that i have seen embrace these despicable 'values.' third, my thesis is to recognize those outsiders for what they are (parasites) and discourage modifications to accommodate them. many disagree, but i believe that they are here today and gone tomorrow. then, we will have to deal with the consequences of the abandoned luxury high rises, the displaced (and VERY angry) lower classes who return, and the various 'bridges to nowhere' that seemed like a good idea when ridiculous tax revenues were pouring in but aren't now. 'an ounce of prevention...better than a pound of cure' idea. finally, i acknowledge that briarwood's arguments are good. i don't defend italians who bailed when the going got a little tougher. i can't argue against capitalist principles, if those are the ones that we choose to apply here. and, i can't fashion a test barring parasites from infesting this host and manipulating it to their liking. but, old school ny people, neighborhood boys, etc. should recognize what is going on and instead of fleeing...do something about it. i think briarwood's suggestions were spot on, and i echoed them in one of my posts. stay here; have kids; work to keep your streets safe; actually parent your kids (no guianese nannies in my house); send them to public schools (it's the kids and parents who make the schools good, not the laptop/kid ratio); help your neighbors out; and, take pride in and look out for your neighborhood.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,903 times
straightshooter is jaded...and shooting blanks probably too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City