Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:38 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,745,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Wikipedia claims the houses in Queens Village are good for humans:

Today, many of those charming and well-maintained Dutch Colonial and Tudor homes built in Queens Village during the 1920s and 1930s currently continue to attract an interestingly diverse population.
My house is on a lot that measures 110 by 110 and I feel like I'm hemmed in on all sides. I can't imagine living on those wee tiny lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 04:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,597 times
I am late to this party but I was about to say yes because I live on Edmore Avenue off of Braddock Avenue and this is most definitely somewhere in my neighborhood. There are several areas that look like this but it looks like you found it on Braddock. I'm going to see if I can match this picture when I am home this weekend. I will take some pictures as it is now if I can locate the corner and houses. Also the houses are still in pretty much the same although some have been torn down to make two family houses (this was illegal just 10 years ago but our idiot mayor needed housing so he allowed the area to be "ruined"). It's actually quite pricey to live there. My house is now worth $550,000. Go figure. 90% of these houses are still standing with the same shape as is (mine is still original). Many still have the original stained glass window, as does mine and a few of my neighbors on my block. Some are in great disrepair as people grew up in them as did their children and they never took care of them. Those are being "flipped" and built back up with brick, often as two families. Some are "flipped" from the original house and have the exact same shape but are not two families, up and downstairs with one owner renting to another family. My neighbor gutted his and used sheetrock on the walls for a more modern look. Mine is the original plaster, original basement, two original bedrooms, one updated bedroom, an updated kitchen (however when you look inside the ceiling which has been made into a dropped ceiling, you can see wallpaper from the 1930s. The was THE most awesome find I ever did find. There is a safe on the floor in the basement. I don't know when it was put it and stupidly, I lost the combination but it has been there for decades. A garage was added in the backyard of each house. I heard this became a fad in the 1950. I know mine was cemented in 1962 because there is a date on the floor that has initials. I recently met a woman named Gloria who was a child prodigy at 10. She is 93 and had lived in her house on 93rd Avenue her entire life! [url=http://www.shorpy.com/node/7013]Portrait of a Prodigy: 1933 | Shorpy Historic Picture Archive[/url]

Old 09-29-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I write a *lot* about old [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/raleigh-durham-chapel-hill-cary/1192219-raleigh-people-help-me-find-historic.html"]houses[/URL], and while doing some research, I found this vintage photo of "Queen Village" on Long Island. I would love to know if these houses are still standing and if anyone has a physical street address for them.

This photo appeared in a 1938 book titled, "Social Living," and it showed this picture as an example of how NOT to build a neighborhood.

On an even more interesting note, on page 482 of this little book it states, “None can deny that the city is still the place of noise and dirt, gloom and disorder, haste and confusion. It neglects many things that are quite essential to the highest type of human welfare.”

Interesting, eh?

Thanks for any help.

Rose Thornton
PS make noise while people are sleeping these days and you will have a lot of gloom and disorder because someone will clock you for waking them up! lol It's actually a lovely place to raise children and we have a nice park right near these houses now. I hope I can match this up and take photoes.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:56 PM

Actually it made perfect sense at the time. There was still farm land around but families in the area were having 10-12 children and NY was BOOMING with immigrants from many countries (including mine - Poland - although my grandparents settled in Brooklyn). It eliminated the need for buildings which believe it or not, in the outer boroughs of NY are considered hideous and "poor". Manhattan is full of building, the rest of us fight to keep them out of our neighborhoods. Although the picture doesn't show it, there was a school and there are many public spaces which still exist. Within a mile of this picture there are two large state parks as well as several city parks for kids. What it did was create affordable housing while maintaining the farms that were owned by the "richer" families. The whole area very shortly became these types of houses as the area became more and more populated. I lived in one of the bigger houses on the "richer" side of town growing up. Joke is, now that's the poor side of town.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:05 PM

478 posts, read 773,904 times
Looks like a pleasant place to live to me. As long as there's decent mass transit options, a grocery store or two nearby, and is not overrun with hoodlums, racists, nazis, or gangbangers, I'd happily move there.

Old 10-27-2017, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 592 times
The NYC Department of Buildings hit me with a violation for a laundry sink that is in my basement for illegal installation of water and waste line. The laundry sink, I believe, was included when the house was constructed in 1920 but I do not know where to find proof or pictures that may prove my assumption is correct and true. Can someone direct me where to look for the blueprints or house structural designs in the 1920s? I live in Queens, New York

Old 10-28-2017, 12:29 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,620 times
Buildings department in kew gardens. Located on queens blvd. Go early!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City