Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 05:41 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,382 times

Advertisements

I write a *lot* about old houses, and while doing some research, I found this vintage photo of "Queen Village" on Long Island. I would love to know if these houses are still standing and if anyone has a physical street address for them.

This photo appeared in a 1938 book titled, "Social Living," and it showed this picture as an example of how NOT to build a neighborhood.

On an even more interesting note, on page 482 of this little book it states, “None can deny that the city is still the place of noise and dirt, gloom and disorder, haste and confusion. It neglects many things that are quite essential to the highest type of human welfare.”

Interesting, eh?

Thanks for any help.

Rose Thornton

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 08:48 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
I don't know the specific answer but this is from Wikipedia:

Queens Village was part of an overall housing boom that was spreading east through Queens from New York as people from the city sought the bucolic life afforded by the less-crowded atmosphere of the area. Today, many of those charming and well-maintained Dutch Colonial and Tudor homes built in Queens Village during the 1920s and 1930s currently continue to attract an interestingly diverse population.[13]

Old 02-12-2011, 10:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
The housing style looks typical of eastern Queens and maybe parts of Long Island bordering Queens. Just more trees now...

queens - Google Maps

They sell for around 450k these days. What'd the article was wrong with the houses? Just the monotony or something else?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 AM

Default Thanks, but...

Thanks for the link to google maps, and that's an interesting neighborhood, but it's not the spot I'm looking for.

If you look at the vintage picture, you'll see the houses are *all* identical, with no variation. They're all side-gabled Dutch Colonials, three windows abreast on the second floor, with an attic dormer that has a hipped roof.

The houses in that link have a little variety.

Any other ideas where these houses may be?

Rose

Old 02-13-2011, 11:49 AM

48 posts, read 102,131 times
Could it be Braddock Avenue at the intersection with Lyman Street on the left, and with Gettysburg Street on the right?

It appears that the commercial building with the gables had a 2-story addition at the corner, and the gas station/service center on the right had its conical roof removed. And there's a brick building on the vacant lot, but otherwise it seems to line up.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Default Oh yeah!

As per someone's suggestion, I posted this thread at the New York City C-D forum and someone over there *just* now gave me that same address.

Thank you SO much for posting this address. You and him both arrived at the same conclusion at the same time!!!!

Thanks again!

RosemaryT

PS. My, but those houses are close together! What's the 'hood like now?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:08 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
As per someone's suggestion, I posted this thread at the New York City C-D forum and someone over there *just* now gave me that same address.

Thank you SO much for posting this address. You and him both arrived at the same conclusion at the same time!!!!

Thanks again!

RosemaryT

PS. My, but those houses are close together! What's the 'hood like now?
Like this:Lyman Street,queens,ny - Google Maps

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=s...,0.012596&z=16

Just give it a while to load.It's almost the exact corner.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-13-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 01:31 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times
Well, they all look a little different now! That first picture looks like a scary place to live in.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:08 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,069,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
Well, they all look a little different now! That first picture looks like a scary place to live in.
New developments usually look scary...especially when they are put up in the middle of flat fields with no trees around.Ever seen pictures of some of the Long Island suburbs like Levittown when they were built? Same thing. Now that 50 years have passed,trees have grown and the houses have each taken on more personal characteristics through expansions and renovations things look a lot better.
Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jeetJTfzUoU/SxGYi5vUz2I/AAAAAAAAGtM/1OLSRXUxxKo/s1600/LevittownNY-historical-street-scene.jpg

Of course to me,Levittown is still a little scary but it's much,much better than when everything looked the same.

The interesting thing about those houses in Queens Village is that they were so well built that they are almost all still there and will probably be there in another 50 or 75 years as well.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:38 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
New developments usually look scary...especially when they are put up in the middle of flat fields with no trees around.Ever seen pictures of some of the Long Island suburbs like Levittown when they were built? Same thing. Now that 50 years have passed,trees have grown and the houses have each taken on more personal characteristics through expansions and renovations things look a lot better.
Google Image Result for http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_jeetJTfzUoU/SxGYi5vUz2I/AAAAAAAAGtM/1OLSRXUxxKo/s1600/LevittownNY-historical-street-scene.jpg

Of course to me,Levittown is still a little scary but it's much,much better than when everything looked the same.

The interesting thing about those houses in Queens Village is that they were so well built that they are almost all still there and will probably be there in another 50 or 75 years as well.

I learned about the Levittowns in a class I took in college (called "The American Suburbs" lol). It's the epitome of cookie-cutter!
You're right, new developments do look kind of creepy. When my family moved to NJ in 2000, my parents decided to live in one of those neighborhoods where, you know, you pick the style of house you want, the lot, etc. Each house, besides the model homes, had the SAME mailbox, the SAME two baby trees out in front, and was painted one of the SAME three colors. Luckily the neighbors were quick to customize their homes and make things look a little better, but after only 11 years the area still looks bare because the trees are still growing.
I wonder if those houses are going to last 50 years. They're McMansions and I don't think those have a reputation for quality construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City